• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kristi KT3 trans/diff schematic

Articwolf

I can honestly say that both track styles give the Same shake rattle and roll. The only time I have noticed a
Smooth ride was in deep powder snow on the Grand Mesa
Must be a kristi trate

Articwolf

The KT3 with 4 wheels and walking tracks dose detrack. The 5 wheel model with ridged mounted to beam has never detracked. The only way that I found to keep it from doing this was to go 35psi in all tires and tighten the tracks up to only about two inches of lift off of the center of track. If it starts to de-track again lm thinking of making the 4 wheel ridged mount.

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
had that happen once on the Thiokol steering tight on tundra with added twist from uneven ground. almost happened again grossing a 3 foot deep cut made by a small loader I caught it quick and backed up and got the track back into the guides

KT3survivor

i have been worried about this. mine has the early narrow drive cogs making the problem even worse. guess i better keep the tracks nice and tight.

Kristi Kt-4

i have been worried about this. mine has the early narrow drive cogs making the problem even worse. guess i better keep the tracks nice and tight.

Your machine must have parts that were laying around the shop hence the early drive sprockets and your machine a very late build. Do you know if your machine went in to be refurbished at the factory? I have the early sprockets on my Kt-3 and the later ones on my Kt-4.

KT3survivor

Your machine must have parts that were laying around the shop hence the early drive sprockets and your machine a very late build. Do you know if your machine went in to be refurbished at the factory? I have the early sprockets on my Kt-3 and the later ones on my Kt-4.

im fairly certain that mine was one of the last ones to get the early cogs. would love to find a pair of wide ones. also quite sure it never got the kristi refurbish that alot of government machines did because it never racked up very many hours. still had the non functional sun tachometer with transmitter, still had all the original mobile home style windows in it. fun fact, it was the first machine to get the #65xxx serial number with the build year infront insted of leading zeros. after bud passed, im sure it was a struggle just to fill orders and get them out the door. mine is likely an example. nothing wrong with it but there are funny quirks like my windshield glass was installed upside down :smile:

luvthemvws

To my mind, the wider sprockets were developed to combat the tendency to crack the grousers. Constant flexing of the grousers as they first follow the sprockets forward under power would be reduced with the wide shoulder of the later models.
I think the advantage of the 5-wheel model is that there is a similar "sprocket" at the back. This second sprocket will more positively position the track side-to-side.

Articwolf

A Big Thank You to Peace and KT3 Survivor on the post of Big Al's rebuild
On the clam shells I read his post and tore in to ours this is what we found.
It was full of oil as we check it every time we go out. It has been worked on before
My suspicion is that the master link was not on properly. One Gear is in pretty bad shape
So off to town for a new 50 Double roller chain and the machine shop for a gear job.

KT3survivor

thanks for the pictures. im curious what the new chain costs, thinking it will be a wise investment when mine come apart.

KT3survivor

The KT3 with 4 wheels and walking tracks dose detrack. The 5 wheel model with ridged mounted to beam has never detracked. The only way that I found to keep it from doing this was to go 35psi in all tires and tighten the tracks up to only about two inches of lift off of the center of track. If it starts to de-track again lm thinking of making the 4 wheel ridged mount.

i'm curious, when you run the track that tight does it look like your stretching the hell out of the center belts up by the drive cog? i tightened mine up to the handbook specs with barely 2" of lift in the center and it looks like i might tear a track. might loosen them a turn or so. I guess i'd rather de-rail one then tear it :unsure:

Articwolf

i'm curious, when you run the track that tight does it look like your stretching the hell out of the center belts up by the drive cog? i tightened mine up to the handbook specs with barely 2" of lift in the center and it looks like i might tear a track. might loosen them a turn or so. I guess i'd rather de-rail one then tear it :unsure:

Your Right it does look like it is stretching the hell out of the track. And throwing a track is much better then tearing one. The cat that throws the track has the early narrow drive cogs that doesn’t have the wide shoulder as the later ones. Between the two cogs I can see a difference as to the way the track follows around it. I’m just saying that this seems to work for us for now. Being in hip deep snow and putting on a thrown track is not my idea of a good day. As I watch Big Al’s Video of him and his Kt3 the walking tires on the rear seems to be off the track at times which makes me wonder is that when it de-tracks? Or is when turning? I also think that the wavy outside track belting may have something to do with it as it would hold the track in place when turning. I like the way you changed yours and thinking of the same.
In other news we have got our cat back together after finding new bearings 30.00 each(2)and double roller chain 15.00(2) each seals 5.00(2) each at Mesa bearing. lots of pictures. One sprocket on the lower end was in bad shape. Bowered one from our rebuild project. Found a 24 tooth double 50 chain Martin sprocket on eBay. Could order one from previse supply 120.00 verse 33.00 EBay won. The machinist is going to work the center out of the new and press in the splined part out of the old one pin it and weld this will put the bowered one back on rebuild project. The brass bushings mike’d out to just under 0.003 on the ID.

KT3survivor

thank you very much for the info. i completely agree that a derail in waste deep snow would be a headache. I'm more paranoid about a tear because im using old belting. would love to find a set of wide cogs for mine one day. honestly I could machine them if i knew an affordable way to have the rubber vulcanized. mine have some wear and i think it pulls to one side because one is more worn than the other. glad your getting yours all fixed up. it also makes me happy to know the two craigslist kats from craig are getting fixed. save them all!!

radicalrescue

hello every one i found a kt4a way down in fla . no id plate, its in bad shape body is sweet needs tracks .. found some info on this was one of three ship to fish&game in fla in1963 /64 have not been able to find any pic of what it suppose to look like was hoping to restore

Attachments

• kristi swamp find day one.jpg
    kristi swamp find day one.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 84
  • krist swamp buggie .jpg
    krist swamp buggie .jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 92

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
welcome. please install your humor protection module. Kristi owners tend to get a lot of good natured ribbing here. I never heard of yours. Knowing that manufactures tend to reuse stuff, the kt3 manuals may provide some help. http://www.goldcordmine.com/manuals/Kristi/
Good luck and lots of picts as you get it back to the unusable showroom state.

Please start a new thread to chronicle your experiences.

radicalrescue

welcome. please install your humor protection module. Kristi owners tend to get a lot of good natured ribbing here. I never heard of yours. Knowing that manufactures tend to reuse stuff, the kt3 manuals may provide some help. http://www.goldcordmine.com/manuals/Kristi/
Good luck and lots of picts as you get it back to the unusable showroom state.

Please start a new thread to chronicle your experiences.
will do thank for the info

Snowy Rivers

Your Right it does look like it is stretching the hell out of the track. And throwing a track is much better then tearing one. The cat that throws the track has the early narrow drive cogs that doesn’t have the wide shoulder as the later ones. Between the two cogs I can see a difference as to the way the track follows around it. I’m just saying that this seems to work for us for now. Being in hip deep snow and putting on a thrown track is not my idea of a good day. As I watch Big Al’s Video of him and his Kt3 the walking tires on the rear seems to be off the track at times which makes me wonder is that when it de-tracks? Or is when turning? I also think that the wavy outside track belting may have something to do with it as it would hold the track in place when turning. I like the way you changed yours and thinking of the same.
In other news we have got our cat back together after finding new bearings 30.00 each(2)and double roller chain 15.00(2) each seals 5.00(2) each at Mesa bearing. lots of pictures. One sprocket on the lower end was in bad shape. Bowered one from our rebuild project. Found a 24 tooth double 50 chain Martin sprocket on eBay. Could order one from previse supply 120.00 verse 33.00 EBay won. The machinist is going to work the center out of the new and press in the splined part out of the old one pin it and weld this will put the bowered one back on rebuild project. The brass bushings mike’d out to just under 0.003 on the ID.
EBAY IS THE BEST SPOT TO SHOP FOR NEARLY EVERYTHING
I scrounged up all of the bearings for my OC12 DIFFY on Ebay
The main pinion bearing behind the gear was priced at $700 at the local bearing house....Ebay $20
Glad you are getting the beast back together. Tedious at times...but well worth it.