• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pacific NW / Oregon Cascades

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did another 3 day / 3 night snow campout with my buddies...

It seems to become an annual thing for us...

full picture album for those who are interested
https://picasaweb.google.com/nikorlov/20130210SNOWCATElkLakeGuysWintercampIcefish

and some videos...

short clip

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAIocXkP8hU"](teaser) Adventure of My Life - Winter 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

full episode (over an hour)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT48Dm1w1fQ"]Adventures of My Life - February 2013 (Full Episode) - YouTube[/ame]

002.jpg

018.jpg

003-2.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_4236.jpg

047.jpg

003-3.jpg

652.jpg

022-3.jpg

036-2.jpg

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice indeed..

Looks like it was a very good time. Great pics too. Wish we had snow...

Regards, Kirk

Sno-Surfer

That looks like an epic trip! Is that south of Bachelor? How far of a trek is it to the lake? Nice set up too! I'm taking notes...:brows:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That looks like an epic trip! Is that south of Bachelor? How far of a trek is it to the lake? Nice set up too! I'm taking notes...:brows:

Oh, this is just north of Detroit on Hwy22, cat took us for about a 15mile round trip.

Notes... well, might be something worthwhile if you like this sorta thing... :)

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I give up.. I was thinking Elk Lake, but I don't remember the "facilities". But it's been a while since I was there. Are you willing to give the location?

Thanks
Tom

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I give up.. I was thinking Elk Lake, but I don't remember the "facilities". But it's been a while since I was there. Are you willing to give the location?

Thanks
Tom

This is Elk lake, just north of Detroit off hwy 22.

NIKSON,

Looks like a blast!!!! Must be amazing to have all of that snow.. Most we have had this year is about 6 inches and it didnt last long.. All of you trips look great both with your jeep and your cat.

Looks like the machine works very well!! keep posting your trips please

Take care,
Anthony

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
NIKSON,

Looks like a blast!!!! Must be amazing to have all of that snow.. Most we have had this year is about 6 inches and it didnt last long.. All of you trips look great both with your jeep and your cat.

Looks like the machine works very well!! keep posting your trips please

Take care,
Anthony

Yes, having plenty of snow definitely makes things feel like it was worth it plus more... :)

Hoping to get out this coming weekend for a full Saturday run, going to go explore some lakes around Mt.Hood area...

nikos

Nikson
Wonderful pictures, amazing moments, in dreamlike landscapes.
Some of us are jealous, but we can not have all these luxury. (Time -fun- freedom)
You Guys have real fun in the SNOW camp. The proud Imp:thumb:
I like the soup with trout fish. There on the frozen part of the lake, Are you fishing; or is the next stage of some sauna;
But Nikson you must tell us, which is the best bait for the trout;:yum::yum:

regards Nikos

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nikson
Wonderful pictures, amazing moments, in dreamlike landscapes.
Some of us are jealous, but we can not have all these luxury. (Time -fun- freedom)
You Guys have real fun in the SNOW camp. The proud Imp:thumb:
I like the soup with trout fish. There on the frozen part of the lake, Are you fishing; or is the next stage of some sauna;
But Nikson you must tell us, which is the best bait for the trout;:yum::yum:

regards Nikos

Yes, as a landscape/nature photographer I'm loving the snowcat and what it has been doing for me. Our group of guys are very close as far as our love for outdoor fun time, and usually we do at least one snow camp out like this with my Mobiba sauna tent, it works excellent in any weather conditions.

Best bait - oh, gosh... as a true fisherman would say - anything goes that actually catches fish... (without giving away the secret)...

but since I'm only the guy that gets everyone there (and only symbolically hold the fishing rod) - its no secret ... PowerBait, cooked shrimp & crickets work great for us...

As far as TIME & FREEDOM... its simple, if you dont set time for your relaxations, you will always just work, since we as humans cant get enough of anything (very disbalanced for the most of us) :hammer:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a great trip. I vote no on jumping in the hot bath in the snow. That is for you young folks. Great pics!

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a great trip. I vote no on jumping in the hot bath in the snow. That is for you young folks. Great pics!

LOL... that tub is FAR from being hot... actually thats a FREEZING temps water... very good for your skin/body after a hot sauna...

Thanks... :)

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
At my age I like the hot tub in a heated basement. We used to have it outside at the old farm. Went out in snowstorms and all that crazy stuff. That was 20 years ago when we were young and crazy.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
At my age I like the hot tub in a heated basement. We used to have it outside at the old farm. Went out in snowstorms and all that crazy stuff. That was 20 years ago when we were young and crazy.

Hey, we are never too old to do crazy things... :clap::clap::clap:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Weekend was great...

Cat performed as expected & better...

IMG_4413.jpg

snow started getting deep not too far into the trip...

IMG_4420.jpg

crawling over a state forest gate, on our way up to a lookout.
Nice to be able to get there in the winter, while cutting your walking distance short...

014.jpg

Wisconsin might be only 30HP, but it performs enough to haul gear & 6 guys up the hill without much difficulty

022.jpg

enough snow to make a snowmobiler nervous...

winch came in handy even one time when he dug an almost 5ft hole in the snopack...

030.jpg

036.jpg

040.jpg

Snowpack is just perfect at almost 8ft

IMG_4458.jpg

and a nice video teaser to top off the pictures...

I'm working on a full size video clip of the whole trip for those who like that sort of thing... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfxSVzo89d0

Last edited:

Sno-Surfer

Awesome Nikson! No problems in that snow?
I took my Snow Track out both Sat and Sun of last weekend. Went up the N side of Mt Hood to Inspiration point. A new place for me and even a bit closer to home. We have about 2ft of new snow.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome Nikson! No problems in that snow?
I took my Snow Track out both Sat and Sun of last weekend. Went up the N side of Mt Hood to Inspiration point. A new place for me and even a bit closer to home. We have about 2ft of new snow.

Well, the only problem was that my new "air snorkel" was still a bit low for 4ft of powder... but that will be redone & modified to work right...

Had to try it though... this is probably not going to be the everyday snow conditions anyway... but nice to know that machine seem to perform just as it should.