• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wish I cold be in Northern Idaho tonight...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
With two of the forum members here. They are talking and looking at Snow Trac's about now....I feel resopncible for getting them together, and I am damn proud of it! Just wish I could be there too guys......:whistling:

Maybe the track party in the winter this year....We shall see.

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You forgot the part about Double Whiskey(s), and halibut, and Oh did I mention stuffed mushrooms,

Thanks Kirk.
I learned a bunch.

268 Is loaded up.

Mike

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have a safe trip home Mike...

Couchloafer is a very nice guy with soooo much Snow Trac info....

Just wish I could have been there too.

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I keep waiting for the punch line to this, something like . . . And then BigAl drove up in Kristi!

Oh wait, that would presume that a Kristi can actually move under its own power?!?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I actually sent today With Spencer henery, And funny that you mention it there was no fewer than three references to Kristis.

One was positive?!?

White knuckle part of the ride is behind me. back to Flat for the remainder of the trip.

Giddy up.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well redsqwrl should be home this morning, after a long trip of snow cat hunting and hauling....:biggrin:

He was here last night and we went out for some BBQ at my favorite place. Wish we had more time, this trip, but I get the feeling we'll get the chance to get together again this winter!!:biggrin::biggrin:

What a load of snow cats and parts he had this trip. If there was a place in his van or trailer, there was some part of a snow cat there, including a 10' snow blade for a Thiokol 2100!! Oh did I mention the triton Ford V8 and trans beside the blade?.....

Really intersesting to see the Snow Trac he had, #268....Mine is #267.

His was an Alaskan machine at one time. Wonder if mine was too, a back in the day, because of that. I had been told it was here in the states, but at 50 years old it's a bit hard to tell..

Thanks for stoppin in Mike!

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I did arrive safe and sound, butt early this AM. I drove the snow trac off the trailer. Started right up with little fuss. drives fine and Now it is time to unload the rest of the Stuff.:wow:

Here are a couple of photos from this West tour. closest I ever been to a wolf.

The heaviest I have ever been on a two track mountain pass.:17875:

Wishing the Sno trac onto the trailer *I was told it did not run*:bsflag2:

And My favorite (come on spencer H it will fit *I measured* :unsure: what do you think?)

I am really thankfull for your assistance taking the blade back out and turning it around to make room for that engine and trans, I am still surprised how big that bad boy is..... did ride nice though. At one point I was wishing for a pick up truck but I am not sure I would have had the room required for that load. thanks again to all involved I appreciate the time and help and of course dinner!

mike.

Oh and Abe from the lincoln HWY!

Attachments

• 124_6925 (Small).JPG
    124_6925 (Small).JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 124_6860 (Small).JPG
    124_6860 (Small).JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 276
  • 124_6911 (Small).JPG
    124_6911 (Small).JPG
    52 KB · Views: 281
  • 124_6859 (Small).JPG
    124_6859 (Small).JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 124_6936 (Small).JPG
    124_6936 (Small).JPG
    88 KB · Views: 283

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does this snow trac have white drive sprockets and a fold down bunk inside for sleeping? I may have looked at it.
jim

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
yep that is the one. (photo from the back attached) Currently the Hydraulic E-brake prohibits the bunk from being set up properly, But I am going to move that to the floor or side of the seat base. the bunk is stored on the ceiling right behind the flip up panel.

I also want to hook the floor pedal back up. I am going to put a cutting brake on the left side of the steering colum so I can turn if the Belt fails.

Mike

Attachments

• 124_6934 (Small).JPG
    124_6934 (Small).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 255

Laurentian

Nice pics Red,
What are you pulling your trailer with ?
Can you post up some more pics of your trailer eventually ?
I'm looking to build my own 8' x 16' using plans, but would
like a better look at your set-up.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure, I will find a spot to create a thread about tow rigs and put up a hand full of photos for you. Untill then,
Truck:
I pull with a 2001 Ford E-350 Van. it is modified to make it 4x4 by a company called "Quigley" they are in PA. USA it has a 7.3L diesel.
Trailer:
That is my own design and has served me well for over 20 years. I split the deck so the deck will tip hydraulically. I left the center open to facilitate working on what ever is on it. (generally motorsport related) and also to keep it lite. the deck proper is 14 feet, the ramps 5 feet and tipped down about 15-20 degrees. there is a 2 foot extension off the front or tongue for motor bikes, race tires or Sno cat parts.
It is getting tired but seems to not know when to quit. this last trip was it's longest and a valve stem was it's only failure. OH and if you look at the photos, the planks from the ramps took off somwhere in the night. (They will be hard wood next time.)

Mike

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You'll have your hands full fixing that one. I have many pictures of it .
this one has the car disk brakes on it. Did you get any parts?
Jim

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, Jim you are the second one to mention the work ahead of me. It drives fairly well. (Would you mind sending me your honest opinion of what I brought home via a PM or email)

I got the parts pile. Forgot the manual/binder. Doh!

Mike

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, Jim you are the second one to mention the work ahead of me. It drives fairly well. (Would you mind sending me your honest opinion of what I brought home via a PM or email)

I got the parts pile. Forgot the manual/binder. Doh!

Mike
Mike
For your information ,I am always honest. What makes you say that?
i looked at it 3 years ago and could see at least $3000 worth of parts needed to make it reliable.I don't know what you paid for it and that usually makes it a deal or not. The 8000 he was asking then was way high for me. I think it has good tracks.The brake I think is sensitive and you may want to change the hand piston part . It looked more like a parts machine to me with all the holes cut in it .
I am sure it can be made good and looking forward to seeing it come together.
do you mind if I post a couple pictures of it?
jim

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
No intent in regards to honesty, It is a figure of speach here in the upper midwest, we generally don't have time for sugar coating and sheltered feelings.

I am new to sno tracs and snow cats for that matter.

Post all the photos you want, I need to understand what I acquired, there are a lot of things that are interesting on that machine.

I was really hoping the hour meter was there, I got a chance to drive kirks(down in Iowa) and the hour meter was the most fascinating item for me.

Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
well Mike i like your new project i loved the brake set up along with the hand brake something that would work good for me with my fat feet and cold weather boots also i had a bit of intrest in the hdpe sprokets and may still do something like that for mine.the short commings i saw with it was the exhaust system did not alow for heat and those headders looked like they would swirl a lot of heat around it needs a little tlc but should be a good project.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
on the headers.
the seller said straight out, get rid of that and the side mounted exhaust, He said "biggest mistake I made was putting the exhaust that way"
Thankfully he kept the heat valves and tubes. I just now need to figure out which exhaust manifold is the best to use.

anyone know which model VW is preferable. I am guessing a Bus or vanagon..

I am going to hook up the floor pedal again. I want to be able to use the bunk so the hand brake need to move as well.

Mike

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A 1600 cc because of the larger heater and power. . Before you can put it in a small spot has to be removed and welded on the heater. take your variator and bolt it together.you'll see what has to be done. The heater hits the variator.
having an extra variator will make it real easy.
i never have done it myself but have seen one from the factory and seen two others that were done. i am still running a 1200cc .
My sprockets took 3 weeks from fairbanks.Don't wait till fall to order them. That time of the year gets real busy. I would like to know how many hours they got on the white ones. I am thinking not very many.
jim
DSC03358.jpg

DSC03354.jpg

Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes jim I too am wondering how many hours they put on each set. I got two sets of wore out brass ones and one extra set of white ones. the machine is showing 1279 miles and the hour meter is missing. I am thinking that some of the sprockets may have spent time on another machine.

My second thought was that the tracks were kept loose to help the sprockets survive, this is just a guess on my part.

in the second photo what is your opinion of the large poly boggie wheels they are in the same position on each side.

From what I understand the machine was one of two that some folks used in AK primarily for moose hunting, apparently the other machine has a 1.6L diesel VW liquid motor.
with the extra fan in the hood of this machine I am guessing that it was not a snow only machine this may have led to the sprocket wear.

Mike

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I talked to lyndon and he says the diesel Vw has the same mounts and bolts it. You'll have water for a heater that way. Lots more weight . i'll ask lyndon this morn . but one style of 1600 doesn't work. I think is is a double header something about the intake tubes. I would try to keep things light but you have lots of options.
I'm not sure about the larger tire. don't put a larger on top. your track will be to close to your running board. I found out when I went into a spring and back in the snow. Ice built up a few inches and I got stuck chipping .You should have a solid one on the second tire.
Were going scrounging at a military electric place and lyndon is on the way over .