• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Porous OC-12 Drop Box castings

Snowcat Pat

Advice please?

While the Thiokol castings are never top quality, I haven't had this problem before. Pressure washing has the old oil and wash water flowing right though the castings. No wonder the diff leaked so much. I would weld them but I think that in addition to warping it would be a nightmare of foaming aluminum. Both the left and right outer DB cases have the problem but they are otherwise in very good condition.

Any chemical solutions to this situation? A sealant of some kind? I don't know if I can get all the oil residue out of the metal.

I patiently await the wisdom of the group.

Thanks, Pat

Attachments

• leaky DB inside.jpg
    leaky DB inside.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 341
  • leaky DB outside.jpg
    leaky DB outside.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 336

MuskegRuner

Hi i would heat them up then clean with brake clean then use J B WELD to seal the bad spots i have had good luck doing this

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
devoe 231 should work good they use it to line fuel tanks also some of that eastmans fuel tank sealer would likely work good

PrecisionMarine

Only trouble I see with heating would be it may leave ash or residue that wouldn't promote adhesion of your sealer. I'd soak the areas in a solvent like lacquer thinner for a day, then thoroughly dry. Several good sealers come to mind, best being Glyptal 1201. Thinner consistency than epoxy like JB Weld, so it will flow into the voids. It's acid and oil proof when dry. Eastman and others sell it.
Best wishes!

Snowcat Pat

I cleaned them up thoroughly then used a Loctite product designed for that purpose. Did it work? well no customer complaints yet!
-Pat