• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac Video - NOT!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This has been a bad weekend. Broke 2 shovels and a spading fork. Ran out of salt in the water softener. Cut the cable TV wire to several homes in my brother's neighborhood. Post Hole Digger didn't really cooperate in the dry clay soil today so I couldn't dig the holes I need using diesel power and had to resort to manual labor. The lovely Mrs_B tore the skin off the end of her finger when she smashed it between some concrete blocks. :eek:

So to change the mood of a dismal weekend I spent a couple hours recording videos to a DVD so I could distribute the Snow Trac videos that people here on the Forums have sent me.

Villi sent me a copy of the Salvage Squad restoration of my Snow Trac. It shows my Snow Trac being restored for the BBC television show Salvage Squad.

Lyndon sent me some video tape that shows home movie footage of several Snow Trac outings, with some awesome scenery, some tow rope skiing, and some typical footage that anyone would shoot at an outing.

So I copied everything to a DVD and most of it worked great. But some parts did not copy. :confused:

Unfortunately I 'finalized' the disk so now I have to start over again. I think I will wait for a rainy day. Sorry folks, I was hoping to offer some good news, but it has just been the capper to a crappy weekend for me! My plan is (was) to offer these disks for sale for $7.50 each to anyone on the forums, and donate all the profits to the Forums. So I will get this done one of these days!!!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob,
Why $7.50? You should charge more. CAROTH sells his Kristi DVD for 20 bucks. I would pay $20. Since I have seen LYNDON's footage I feel its worth it. Not knocking CAROTH's DVD but the Snow Trac footage is much better. PLUS you will have your snow trac build? Thats very cool! Put me down for one of the first ones please.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Why $7.50? You should charge more.
I figure it will cost about a half buck for a DVD & the case to put it in, and another buck or two for labor to copy & package it (I will have someone do the copies of the master that I make up). That leaves plenty of profit for the Forums. I suspect that a low price will yield more sales than a higher price and as we are a non-commercial forum, that is thriving on simple donations and the sale of cups, shirts and duffel bags, it seems like a reasonable price to charge.

I'd also like to get some video of other machines too. There is some Bombardier video that I might add? But with as many Thiokol owners as we have here on the Forums if someone has some of footage of a Thiokol/DMC/LMC then I will gladly include that footage to the DVD too.

Really what I am selling is the roughly 35 minutes of footage that Lyndon provided. I'm just sharing the BBC's Salvage Squad video of my Snow Trac's restoration. So maybe it was a good thing that I had technical problems today. It gives me the opportunity to ask other members for more footage of Snow Tracs and other brands too.

If anyone has any video (on DVD, VHS, VHS-C, or Mini-DV Tape) that they are willing to lend me, I will record it and return your original media. It will be included on the DVD that I am making up so everyone can see these great machines we all like to play with.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You Know Bob ,
I bet that if we can get a few of us together this winter as I hope to do ,we could put together a pretty good video .:thumb: We don't have to show the scenes of me winning every challenge but we could show some nice shots of me pulling Mouse Ear and You at the same time from a snow drift with my superior Kristi ,while pushing Mntopper .:yum: . I bet a quite a few of the FF membership would like to watch that .

I say throw in a few pretty girls in bikini's for affect and then you can name your price .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK folks, a couple of updates here.

Lyndon is going to get me original copies of his movies when he gets back from Alaska so I might be able to improve the video quality a little bit (I guess it is time to take the training wheels off of my video editing equipment and break out the instruction manual).

Al, as for your offer to shoot footage of your fiberglass snowkitten simultaneously pulling and pushing real snowcats out of the deep stuff, all I can say is WAKE UP MAN! You are obviously under the influence of too many Dr Peppers & Rum or whatever you mix up in your grease gun. As for throwing in a few pretty girls in bikinis . . . you'll have to check with IceQueen to see if she is prepared to model for us!

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
Al,

I could model for you! I look nice in a Wicked weasal bikini :poto:and pink high heel's:gay:, well so i've been told!! :poster_oo Now i understand why the Iraqi insurgents were running away from me when i was pursueing them! :4_11_9:
I would like to see about coming over to the US and attending your annual meeting if you get if of the ground, that is if the wives dont mind my pink dress! idont up stage any one:5boobs::boobies:

Oh well duty calls so i must go and do what one has to do for Queen and Country, oh and George Bush:US_flag: :14_6_12: :British_f

Later folks, take care "Stay low"- "Move fast"

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Tommo said:
Al,

I would like to see about coming over to the US and attending your annual meeting if you get if of the ground, that is if the wives dont mind my pink dress! idont up stage any one:5boobs::boobies:

:British_f

Later folks, take care "Stay low"- "Move fast"

Tommo ,
Man you are welcome anytime in my home . I'll even let you drive my Yetti all you want . I really do hope you make it over .
Allen

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
Well Snow Queen, stranger things have happened at sea! You never know, i may supprise you all!!:eek:

Just dont show Al the photo's? We must all meet and put the photos on the forum for all to see the Brits doing our bit for the good of the Snow Trac?:weneedpic

See you all at the Dorset steam fair!:tiphat:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
What day(s) are you guys gunna be there?
It would be nice to grab a drink with you

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I haven't had a pass for Dorset yet, but will let you know as soon as I know. We will DEFINITELY meet up and take the dreaded pics for the forums to prove it. SNOWTRACS RULE!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
IceQueen, Mith or Tommo . . . do any of you have a video camera where you can take movies? I'm not looking for full length movies, but it might be interesting to get some video of the English Snow Tracs, and some of the other interesting vehicles. I'd need a copy of the video tape copied to DVD (the American standard is different than the European standard, but I have a computer that can convert your European DVD standard to the American DVD standard -- but I don't know if I can turn it back for you???) I could add some of the film footage to the Snow Trac video that I will be making. JUST A THOUGHT! Not sure if it is possible.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, I no longer possess a video camera, mine died. Also the snowtrac will not be going to Dorset, just the Foden and 'tarts boudoir', if the Foden is well enough. Can't speak for the others, but I doubt that they will be bringing snow tracs, too much nattering and drinking to do!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well drinking is always a good thing to do!

ONLY because of that, we can all forgive you for not taking the Snow Trac. :yankchain:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowtrac is not in the condition I would like to put on show, particularly with that hideous cab. Incidentally, Phil has managed to contact the folks in Scotland to find out why it was made like that (it WAS made in Scotland). Apparently it was to accommodate large men in hard hats! Hopefully all this will be changed as I am to have the proper top off the one that Phil has removed from the snowtrac that is to carry the wombat!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So you have the tall cab version and you are going to be taking the tall cabin off and swapping it for the regular cabin. That will certainly make it look better, lower the center of gravity an inch or two and give you a machine that can be restored to military standards if you would like to make the conversion to military.

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
I will be going to the Dorset steam fair for a few days. My wife has been doing inter-net searches for Farm B+Bs in the area and every where is fully book for a 20 mile radius of the venue site. We have tried all manner of guest house and B+Bs to no avail yet and time is running out!:eek:

My 7 month old baby boy will possibly be to young to camp so we are looking into renting a Winnebago for a few days so we can spend at least 3 days and 2 nights enjoying the fair. I will be looking for the bloke with the military Snow Trac done in Artic colours! I will be looking for a de-activated Wombat with the possible intention of making my Snow Trac into a Mil spec wombat carrier:confused2:

I will give S/Q and Mith a ring when i get home on the 24th August to arrange a mutual time and day to meet up etc:burp:

I hope to meet as many people as possible interested in the snow tracs and to spread the word dude!:D

Take folks and i'll pop up from time to time:tiphat:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Tommo, it looks as though I will be getting a pass for Dorset, though I have not hear officially. If it is of any help, I can sleep your wife in my trailer with me, also your young son, and you can have the 'wendy house' on the Foden. I shall also be carrying a tent. If you hire a camper, you will have to pay a fortune to park it there, and you will have a hell of a long walk to the show - the show is HUGE!

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
:tiphat: Snow Queen, that is very kind of you. I have not spoke to Jo reference the show for a few days and i need to speak to her and find out whether she found some where or not? If she did not and she thinks our eight month old baby boy is up for it, i dont see it is going to be a problem and ask 'Are you ok with 4 people under your your feet'? I would like to see you and Mith if possible and this could be the option if it suits you as i dont know how many days i will be there for?

I can talk to you nearer the time when i'm back in Plymouth to sought out the details and meeting up with you etc. It would be nice if i could get my Land Rover near to your spot so i dont have to travel with all the over night stuff etc, Will i be able to drive in if i pay for an exhibit ticket as part of your group etc?

Can you send me a PM or i'll send you a PM to discuss matters further!

Thanks again and i hope i meet you there.:wave:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Tommo, I/Q,
I'm hoping to go to the show on the Sunday, will you guys be there then?
Nothing is entirely set in stone, its hard for me to make plans that far in advance :yum:
Cheers

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith, as long as I get a pass, and the Foden behaves itself and good luck and a following wind, I aim to be there for the whole show! Will let you know more when I know more.

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm still looking into ways of getting their with my Land Rover and finding a way of camping or exhibiting a lawn mower so i can get in to the centre of the site! My wife has left it to late to get B+B's in the local area due to the popularity of the event.

I will have to park the car and do a day at the show and call it quites! so if Anita you are there for the full show and Mith you will make Sunday, i will go on Sunday as well so we can meet up. The problem i have is the 2 small kids which will have to have some where to stay if we go for more than a day! How far is the camp site away from the entrance gates and how long are the Que's going to be? Questions, questions!

Will be home on the 23rd of August so will ring Anita and Mith, could you PM me with your Number or if not i'll PM you with mine.

Take care folks.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't think you will be able to get in with or without lawnmower. The car parks are quite a walk, but not too bad. Still no sign of a pass here, don't know what is happening. The queues are not too bad, I don't think, but as I am usually so far away from the entrances, I don't really know. Sunday is not the best day, Saturday is, Sunday is the day that everyone is packing up.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Speaking to someone I know, he says Thursday is the best day, the weekends are too busy. He also said that on Thursday, being at the start of the fair, the loos are still usable.

Also what you say about packing up on Sunday, Ice, is a good point. I tend to work on Saturday, so I am looking more at going on Thursday or Friday now.

Tommo, I think you would be better off picking the day you want to go, and I will fit in around that.
From what I remember, queues were not a problem.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have my pass, so with the Foden willing, I hope to be there. Let me know when you folks are coming and want to meet up. You have my mobile number, I think, if not contact me soon by pm. Look forward to meeting you all. If all else fails, look for the diesel heavy haulage section (over to the 'play pen' and up the hill to the top, other end from the commentary box, keep walking, down the other side as if you are going out of the show and you will find our section, hidden away, practically out of the show, as they only want us when the weather is bad and the steamers can't put a show on for the public!) Talk about second class citizens!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you are still interested i will send you some video shot from my outings in western ak through this winter I'm planning a trip to a small comunity south east of nome called white mountain at leaste 1 caribue trip up north and maby a trip to whales and tin city