• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rental Question

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a guy that wants a long term lease on my new Apartment . I stated "NO Animals" but this guy is willing to put down a very large pet deposit . A German Shepard and a little mutt . I am having some serious doubts , but the guy is willing to do whatever is neccessary to rent it . Rentals are impossible to find here and the price of Gold going so high has created a boom around here . Even though the miners can only work about 8 months a year he is willing to lease year around .

Suggestions ?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any one that ever is going to stay there better not be allergic to animals..
cause problems with picking up after them? running loose in your yard? Pissing on your tires? Chasing your elk? I see lotsa problems when you do not own the critters. Animals and rentals never go well together......

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Does the deposit cover new carpet(installed)-paint-scratching of doors exc.?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I rented for a few years when I moved to the US and had my two dogs with me. I don't think I had any issues keeping the place clean. My last landlord said I left the place in better shape than when I moved in.

If the renter is a good renter then its not going to matter if they have pets. What does your gut tell you about the person?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a guy that wants a long term lease on my new Apartment . I stated "NO Animals"

You said no animals?

Being the animal lover that you are, I can't believe you'd not give someone a chance at least leasing the apartment with pets.

fubar

Remember why you said no animals in the first place.
Business booming? Then there will be other renters.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, if the rental market is strong, I would not buy myself a problem. It might work out all right, but if it goes south, you will be re renovating.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Ya might wanna check your state's law on security deposits. Some limit them to one month's rent. Anything over that, and ya gotta pay the tenant interest.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My experience with renters has been bad. Well to be honest it's been 50/50 but renters with pets, not a chance in hell. JMHO.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow ! A lot of food for thought ???????? My gut says do it . My brain says to stand firm . For what this guy is willing to pay in rent , the cost of building my barn with apartment would be paid for in 4 years .

snow dog

Wow ! A lot of food for thought ???????? My gut says do it . My brain says to stand firm . For what this guy is willing to pay in rent , the cost of building my barn with apartment would be paid for in 4 years .

If you struck it rich panning gold , you would not need the headaches of being a land baron

fubar

Well, good luck.

If you decide to rent to him, it may make a good thread, the woes of BigAl's renters.

Keep us informed either way.

snow dog

Well, good luck.

If you decide to rent to him, it may make a good thread, the woes of BigAl's renters.

Keep us informed either way.

I see many threads,

BigAl's renter
BigAl's gold panning
BigAl's remodeling
BigAls cleaning up the dog poo
advice for BigAl by Forums

lowell

Al if you rent to this guy with 2 dogs and you charge a high or very high deposet do yourself a favor and but the deposit in escrow in your and hiw name that way if you would have to pay him intrest( I don't know that you would) all you would have to do is get the money out of escrow. This is what a friend of mine used to do when he rented to someone and if the place was in good shape with normal ware and tear and no danage when they got ready to move out he gave them their deposit with intrest
just a thought lots of luck with it

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter

If the renter is a good renter then its not going to matter if they have pets. What does your gut tell you about the person?
Thats the bottom line right there IMHO. Go with Your gut feeling about the renter, if He is responsable the pets shouldn,t be an issue , how many good people do you know that DON'T have pets :smile:

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I normally have a rule against pets but like BigAl, I had a very qualified renter willing to pay top dollar in rent. The way I see it is I would rather rent to someone who is honest and tells me they have a teacup chihuahua rather than a liar who moves in and then gets an 80 pound labrador to hide in the back bedroom.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I normally have a rule against pets but like BigAl, I had a very qualified renter willing to pay top dollar in rent. The way I see it is I would rather rent to someone who is honest and tells me they have a teacup chihuahua rather than a liar who moves in and then gets an 80 pound labrador to hide in the back bedroom.

Thats a pretty good reply . I agree . This guy has been straight up with me from the start .
I get really tired of no one trusting another person or their word . I guess I better listen to my own thoughts .

I am going to start this guy out on a 3 month trail rental probation period . It if works out he can long term lease after that .
Thanks guys

mosi

Banned
Single guy who works full time with 2 dogs? Does the guy ever have to work overtime? who is going to let the dogs out?

You might want to buy one of these and leave it in the rental unit because you know he is going to need it.

http://store.kingcleaning.com/bi14ligrmare.html

I know some people with rental properties and it's one of the best things they put in rentals.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Single guy who works full time with 2 dogs? Does the guy ever have to work overtime? who is going to let the dogs out?

You might want to buy one of these and leave it in the rental unit because you know he is going to need it.

http://store.kingcleaning.com/bi14ligrmare.html

I know some people with rental properties and it's one of the best things they put in rentals.

+1 on the Little Green Machine thingy. Those things are great if you have pets. Don't get the cordless version, though. Not enough power.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I think that sounds like a great plan Al. As a first time renter, I was fortunate that they did let me bring my dog to town eventually. The property manager was shocked when she dropped by after Christmas.. my house is WAY cleaner than it was when I moved in. She was a bit surprised how a "bachelor" such as myself keeps house... and it was a bit messier than I like that day. This guys sounds like an honest, top notch renter. I would not worry about a thing.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with giving him a chance but before I did that I would get references and talk to them all. Trust but verify. It can save you a lot of trouble down the road.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We ditched the Green Machine for the Spot Bot by Bissell. Cleans as you go and do other things.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Forgot to mention the guy is married and his wife will be home with the dog during the day . If he was single there is no way in hell I would rent to him with two dogs . I do not care how careful one is with dogs , they will eventually crap on the floor . These guys do a lot of overtime so his hours will be a lot .

mosi

Banned
I will save my final opinion until you post some pictures of the wife:unsure:

I await patiently!!!:whistling:

mosi

Banned
We ditched the Green Machine for the Spot Bot by Bissell. Cleans as you go and do other things.

I have some friends who did that........
.....the problem was, that after a while, the carpet had polka dots around the room.

:biggrin:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its now in his hands . I sent him the details and conditions of renting my place . Time will tell . He's from Texas and looking at a huge Elk Herd every day ,in the front pastures and not being able to hunt them may drive him crazy .