• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need help; BV206 w/Mercedes TD 5-cylinder glow plugs

Mtn-Track

I'm working on a BV206 w/Mercedes TD 5-cylinder that a friend has. It does not appear that the glow plugs are working, but their leads show just over 24v (battery voltage) with the glow plug circuit and relay activated. The plugs in the block all have 11v on them, but he also has some loose one's that have 18v on them that came with the machine. Does that indicate that they are rated for 11vdc and 18vdc? None of them seem to work, so I'm thinking they are all toast from a 24v system(?).

Any thoughts on these things and how long they are supposed to cycle on a cold engine?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
It's a 24 volt system? Interesting.

You should be able to get full voltage across each plug. Are they wired parallel or in series? Sometimes if they are wired in parallel a shorted plug will not allow sufficient voltage to it's neighbors. Obviously if in series when one goes out they all go out.

Still, best policy is to replace them as a matched set. Mix and matching will only cause issues later on.

Mtn-Track

Yep, it's a 24v system. Ex-military.

The plugs are wired parallel, from what I can tell. EVERY wire in this thing is red, but each plug wire leads back into the main harness and not across to the other plugs. I'll have to check the resistance of each glow plug to see if there's any major discrepencies.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
here is the answer to our question the glow pluggs pull enough amperage to drop the voltage to about 50 % so if you have one plug burned out than you are now aplying more voltage to the rest causing the next weak one to fail and so on until they have all failed i will check some of my military pubbs and see if i can find a proper part number for the pluggs for you

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i have verry little experiance with the 5 cylinder models they were phazing them out when i entered the alaska guard but i think i have some old publications laying around

dep6113

If plugs are wired in a series then you must isolate each glowplug and check resistance with ohm meter. most failed glow plugs will show an open circut after they have failed. Not sure if the motor has precups like the old 6.2 but I have exprienced the tip of the plug breaking off when you remove it then its remove the head and get the piece or hope it doesnt eat the motor which it can and has.

Mtn-Track

Thanks Gents.

I appears that all of the glow plugs that were in the engine are fried. They are the ones that have "11v" on them. The box of used plugs that came with the machine that have 18v on them appear to be OK. I'm guessing that someone thought that the 12v plugs would work better but in the end they all got cooked by the 24v system. I'll install the "18v's" tomorrow and see how they work out.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i can not find any thing concreate i'm thinking the 11 v pluggs are for the 6 cylinder which would draw the battery down farther