• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hyundai spending 80 million bucks on Genesis advertising

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Which is a record for any automaker has spent to launch a vehicle in the United States. The Hyundai Genesis is trying to take aim at Lexus, Infinity, and Acura and will be priced around $40,000 for their new 'luxury sedan'. Anyone placed their order yet?

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Good luck to them.

I recall when I bought my '88 Isuzu Trooper I paid $12,800 +tax& license. That seemed incredibly cheap.

Then after I had it a little while I saw an article about their advertising budget. Total annual advertising / Total annual sales equaled $4,000 advertising cost, for each Trooper sold. No wonder they finally left the North America market. There was no margin for a profit with those figures.

I wonder how many cars Hyundai expects to spread that $80,000,000 across.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder how many cars Hyundai expects to spread that $80,000,000 across.

They hope to sell 30,000 units. Yup, to save you the math, that's $2666.67 per unit in factory advertising per unit; if they sell as many as they hope. You know the dealers will be pressured to advertise them heavily as well.

AndyM

Charter Member
They hope to sell 30,000 units. Yup, to save you the math, that's $2666.67 per unit in factory advertising per unit; if they sell as many as they hope. You know the dealers will be pressured to advertise them heavily as well.

I'd bet they could sell 200,000 units of a small car that got 50 mpg for under $15,000 with NO advertising other than a couple of freebie PR reports in some trade magazines.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd bet they could sell 200,000 units of a small car that got 50 mpg for under $15,000 with NO advertising other than a couple of freebie PR reports in some trade magazines.

These cars exist in Europe, but will never see light of day here because the emisions numbers are above some arbitrarily picked number, picked by bleeding heart do-gooders, that don't get the big picture. Their minds are too small to see the entire picture. Kinda like a 20 MB hard drive and 16k ram.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
the emisions numbers are above some arbitrarily picked number, picked by bleeding heart do-gooders, that don't get the big picture.
And here's the big picture.
IMG_2578rDelhiSmog.jpg

That's 3:30 in the afternoon, a false sunset as the sun leaves the center of the sky and can no longer penetrate the smog.

It used to be far worse. They outlawed all diesel and gasoline delivery vehicles, busses, private cars, taxis. Everything. All must now run on far-cleaner Compressed Natural Gas. At the same time they outlawed all 2-stroke engines used in the Vespa-type autorickshaws. Those also run on CNG now.

This was substantial progress, but they didn't get all the way to clean air. That air hurts to breathe.

Delhi, India 2004.

Closer to home, Los Angeles still has days like this. It used to be like that most of the time before the improved smog standards. I can remember stepping off the plane and wondering if someone put ammonia or something in the airport a/c ducts. Each inhalation was painful. The kids had to do recess indoors on smog alert days. We've come a long way. It would be a mistake to go back to air like in that photo.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Fact is, a car getting 50 mpg, making 70 hp at wot will generate way less emissions than a 40 mpg car with a 140 hp at wot engine. But the 50 mpg, 70hp engine just may have more PPM of, say, NOx, than the 40mpg car. PPM is a stoopid measurement. How about using lbs of NOxx per 100 miles of combined city/highway driving. Now that makes sense. But that would allow a flood of vehicles in that not only create less of a total footprint than say a GM car, but would also hurt GM.

Follow the money.

I am not saying there should not be emissions standards; I am saying arbitrary numbers do not meet the end need. The end result should be reduced emissions per xx miles driven. The smaller engine will deliver 1/2 of the total flow of exhaust gas, at say a 10% increase in PPM, in effect, creating about 40% less emissions per trip.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Agreed. But people want all that extra horsepower, 'just in case'.

I drive an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle. Ford Focus Wagon. But they don't make them any more. (the wagon). No demand. Probably due to no advertising. Also no markup like they have on the suv's so they would rather promote the suv's. You named it, Follow The Money.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to base vehicle taxes on emission rating or fuel economy.

I would love to see the small cars of Europe and Asia available here. Not everybody needs to tow or carry a HS football team with their gear. But the norm seems to be a car twice as heavy as we really need.

AndyM

Charter Member
Agreed. But people want all that extra horsepower, 'just in case'.

I drive an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle. Ford Focus Wagon. But they don't make them any more. (the wagon). No demand. Probably due to no advertising. Also no markup like they have on the suv's so they would rather promote the suv's. You named it, Follow The Money.

But looking at Ford's recent sales numbers, no one wants the SUV's anymore. Give me a 3 cylinder diesel that gets 60 mpg... there is demand but the product is not available in this country.

I would love to see the small cars of Europe and Asia available here. Not everybody needs to tow or carry a HS football team with their gear. But the norm seems to be a car twice as heavy as we really need.

That's because all we have to choose from is SUV's and $40,000 Hyundais. :whistling:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
How about my (2) 95 hp 4-cyl turbo diesel VW's that gets a consistent 50 mpg? Emission laws have now even wrecked the '09 model (available in August) can't get the same economy.

Moronic emission regulations set up per gallon of fuel burned instead of per mile traveled. If it was per mile we'd all be driving diesels and wouldn't have an oil problem.

My '94 Dodge/Cummins will get 24 mpg on the highway. The new ones are lucky to get 15. Emission laws. BS.

:angry: