• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Who is an RV'er/camper?

Do you do/want to do any RV stuff or camping?

• Would like to do some kind of camping, not sure what kind.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OkeeDon

I'm a little curious about who among the members either has an RV or is interested in getting one, or does any type of camping.

Do you have a motor home, travel trailer, pop-up trailer, pickup camper or other RV? Do you do any tent camping? Overnight hiking trips? Do you "camp out" on your boat?

If not, are you planning/hoping to have an RV or do some camping at some time in the future? What part of it interests you?

The poll is a quick way to get a snapshot of our members, but please elaborate! You can choose more than one answer.

{EDIT} Well, I screwed that up, good. I tried to change the poll in the middle of previewing it, and it posted the message without the poll. So, I tried to add the poll, but it won't let me do it once the first message is posted. So, ignore this post, and let me try again with a new one. Doc, remove this as a duplicate.

[EDIT by BOB] Don, I simply merged the 2 threads together since each had one reply to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

OkeeDon

Are you an RV'er/Camper?

I'm a little curious about who among the members either has an RV or is interested in getting one, or does any type of camping.

Do you have a motor home, travel trailer, pop-up trailer, pickup camper or other RV? Do you do any tent camping? Overnight hiking trips? Do you "camp out" on your boat?

If not, are you planning/hoping to have an RV or do some camping at some time in the future? What part of it interests you?

The poll is a quick way to get a snapshot of our members, but please elaborate! You can choose more than one answer.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don, long ago, before we had a child, we had a small camper, I think it was a 16' unit with no bathroom but a small kitchenette, a double bed and a small dinette area. I bought a wreck of a camper and fixed it up, used it for a season or two and never looked back. We had fun while it lasted but it was a little weekend diversion we played with. It never went far from home, usually we'd go about an hour to two away, spend one or maybe two nights and then come home. There are a couple public wildlife preserves that have uncrowded camping sites and we'd go there with the dogs.

Prior to the camper I used to do some backpacking and did a chunk of the Appelation (sp?) Trail in Tennessee & Kentucky.

Prior to that I did some winter survival training (in college).

Seems like I prefer a hotel now! But I suppose the newer RVs are as nice, or nicer than some of the hotel rooms and you don't have to pack/unpack your clothes at each destination.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Are you an RV'er/Camper?

I've always enjoyed what you are calling primitive camping. Since my days in Boy Scouts I really like to go out with just a tent and a sleeping bag, a cooler of food and a cooking grate.

Favorite camp site is Devils Lake State Park in Wisconsin.

OkeeDon

Re: Are you an RV'er/Camper?

Since I'm the one who is curious, it's only fair I spill my beans. I have a small motor home, currently, there are other threads here about it. I've had a couple before that over the last 15 years; I tend to keep them a whle.

My first one was a primitive 1972, 22' Winnebago Chieftain on a Dodge chassis with a 413 gas engine. Great coach for it's day, but drum brakes on all 4 wheels made it a little inadequate and lots of wood in the body made it pretty much unrestorable. Still, my son and I used that coach to tow a race car all over the Southeastern US, from Florida to Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Harrisburg, PA, and stops in between. We bought it in 1990 because he got beat in a sports car event. His opponent was cool and fresh because he had a nap and a shower in an RV. My son was hot and wilted from spending all day in the August sun on a concrete runway. The other fellow beat Adam by .09 second! We decided that a motor home was a competitive advantage, and got one before the next event. Adam ended up being the regional champion 3 years in a row.

In 1996, we bought a 1988, 28' Pace Arrow because we were planning to go to the Atlanta Olympics with friends in RVs, and our old Winnie was getting pretty ragged. The Pace was on a Chevy P30 chassis with a 454 carbureted gas engine. I never cared for the GM chassis and spent a fortune on the front end, but the coach was nice. When we got it, I promised my thrifty wife that we would get 10 years out of it. We almost made it; we got our newest one at the end of 2005.

The newest one is completely different; a 2005 Class B van based on the Mercedes-built Sprinter van chassis. There are more details here.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I like to go for long hikes in the woods but at the end of the day I want to have a shower and hit a real bed. I guess an RV would be nice but I hate organized campgrounds so it would have to be some kind of Quigley 4x4 Camper Van deal that allows me to camp out in the real boonies.

I did the camping thing when I was younger. Spent several months living on the beach in Mexico and slept on a small cot the whole time. After a while it was pretty comfy. I still remember the trip home when I got to the US and would just pull my cot out and sleep in the public rest areas in a parking space. Got some strange looks but I didn't care (probably was too drunk to care).

With wife and kids as the big focus now, it will be a few years until I get to do anything too adventurous. Nothing like small kids to make the preparation for any sort of outing a major ordeal. Kind of kills the old put the boots on, grab some snickers and water and go lifestyle.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I started camping with the scouts.
There are 6 or 7 of us who go camping together a couple times a year together, well we meet quite often really.
Anyway, in summer we go for our annual week (this year we hope for 2), everyone takes their tent, we take a big marquee, gas cookers etc. Spend the time enjoying life with a few refreshments, taking a relaxing week.
Sometimes we do the whole camping without a tent cooking over open fires deal but that isnt exactly relaxing :D

I love camping, cant really beat the relaxation, not having to keep time, sleeping till afternoon, nothing to be late for and no commitments to keep. Weve pretty much got it sorted out now so that everyone is comfortable and for the most part happy. Yea man! :a1:

OkeeDon

PBinWA said:
... but I hate organized campgrounds so it would have to be some kind of Quigley 4x4 Camper Van deal that allows me to camp out in the real boonies..
I wasn't sure what a Quigley is, so I looked into it. Quigley takes Ford or Chevy vans and converts them to 4WD, semi-officially. Ford and Checy don't make their own 4WD vans, but apparently you can order one from a dealer and it will be deivered by Quigley.

I found a reference to a Quigley that had been converted to a Class B RV by Roadtrek. It looked great. Roadtrek is the brand I thought I was going to buy for my Class B until I discovered the Liesure Travel.

Anyne interested in a primitive van-based RV should also look at Sportsmobile, they make custom conversions on 2WD and 4WD Ford and Chevy vans, and Sprinter vans like mine (I haven't see a 4WD Sprinter, yet). Even though they're custom, their prices are very competitive with production models.

I don't like "organized" campgrounds, myself, although we have obviously stayed at them when it was the better choice over getting arrested in a parking lot. We are NOT interested in RV'ing for the sake of the RV's; we look at the RV as a tool to let us go places and do things we might not otherwise do. I'm not keen on having all my RV park neighbors come by and butt into our activities, but that seems to be the prevailing culture.

What it boils down to for me, is that at the end of the day, I have MY bed with MY pillow, MY shower and toilet, MY satellite TV, MY favorite snacks and cold drinks, and I don't have to pack and unpack.

BoneheadNW

Yo, Sportsmobile owner here (2WD). We are so far happy with the sportsmobile porton of the vehicle, however within the last 300 miles an injector and the turbo have gone south and have had to be replaced (under warrenty thank God)!
The Ford E-350 diesel is the same engine we are running in the medic unit at work. That one has gone south a couple of times during its 7800 mile life.
Bonehead

OkeeDon

BoneheadNW said:
Yo, Sportsmobile owner here (2WD).
Cool! I looked really hard at their Sprinter conversions before I bought mine. There were just a couple of things that were more in tune with the true outdoorsman or sportsman rather than the fancypants I've become since I got older. In other words, the Sportsmobile appears (at least in the pictures) to be more rugged, while the Liesure Travel is more refined. Neither is better than the other; it's just that at this stage of our life, we're beyond rugged and ready for refined.

I assume you get about the same kind of mileage from the E-350 as my s-i-l gets from his F250 (about 16 mpg)? That's pretty good considering the power you have available; I get well over 20 mpg but really suffer when towing. Do you use it as a daily driver or strictly as an RV?

BoneheadNW

Don, between long trips (3-4 times a year) we take "The Beast" to a large grocery store in the neighboring town, about 20 miles away. On these trips we get about 16 mpg. On the open highway, however, as long as we stay under 70 mph, the milage goes up to around 19 mpg. I was pleasently surprised since The Beast weighs about 7700 lbs. Here are some pics:
Bonehead

Attachments

• DSCN7353v2.jpg
    DSCN7353v2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN7387v2.jpg
    DSCN7387v2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 255

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
Don, between long trips (3-4 times a year) we take "The Beast" to a large grocery store in the neighboring town, about 20 miles away. On these trips we get about 16 mpg. On the open highway, however, as long as we stay under 70 mph, the milage goes up to around 19 mpg. I was pleasently surprised since The Beast weighs about 7700 lbs. Here are some pics:
Bonehead

Very nice Bone! That's what I'd probably get but if money was no object I'd get 4WD version. I think GM is coming out with a Diesel 4WD full size van this year and I bet Ford follows suit.

My F250 Diesel gets 19MPG on the highway easily if I keep it steady in the 55-65 MPH range so yours is about the same.

PB

1985 Award Columbia 30

Really like this old camper. Only paid 4000.00 for it a year or so ago. It's in great shape - light weight and lots of room. I don't think it even weighs 4000 lbs.

P8210027.JPG

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Don,
I couldn't vote in your poll, I don't fit anywhere in there. I "used" to camp quite often.
Bought the first pop up for $75. Had to use diaper pins to keep the "door" shut that first night. The teeth all fell out of the zipper. Bought another pop up after that which we used for several years. Upgraded to a towable camper. Used that one too for several years and sold it 3 years ago. The property here along with the dog and cats does not allow too much of a good time away from home any more. Loaned my brother our tent 4 years ago, haven't seen it since.

OkeeDon

Keweenaw4310 said:
1985 Award Columbia 30
Really like this old camper.
That's a slick looking rig. Looks like it's low profile and has a nicely shaped nose; it must be nice to tow. I'm told that 5th wheel campers pull better, but I'm really used to tag trailers and like the way they follow. It must be huge inside; a 30' trailer has a lot more room than a 30' motor home.

OkeeDon said:
That's a slick looking rig. Looks like it's low profile and has a nicely shaped nose; it must be nice to tow. I'm told that 5th wheel campers pull better, but I'm really used to tag trailers and like the way they follow. It must be huge inside; a 30' trailer has a lot more room than a 30' motor home.

I've pulled my brother-in-law's 24' and a 26' and I feel like I have to keep the speed down to 45 or 50 with my truck.
With this Award, I have to watch my speed. I forget it's back there and can creep up on 65 mph easy with my chevy 1/2 ton silverado.

Award is in Canada and has been bought out by new ownership but their current rigs look almost identical to this 20 year old one.

MadReferee

We started with a tent, then moved to a 14' slide-in Franlkin pickup camper, then to a 27' Tioga Class C motorhome, and finally to a 34' Allegro Class A motorhome. Kept the Allegro for 8 years then sold it in 1998 because the kids had grown up and we had other things we wanted to do.

In a few short years when I go from semi-retirement to full retirement we are looking at motorcoaches, either a Newell or a Prevost, the bigger the better. Six months on the road and six months at a home base (probably in Arizona). It's a great lifestyle and we want to do in in comfort.:D

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have an ordinary caravan which is pulled by my four wheel drive (Landrover Discovery - diesel) When I go to rallies, I take my Foden FH 70 gun tractor pulling what looks like an ordinary military office. Inside it is kitted out with home comforts - sink, single bed, double bed, loo, wardrobe, shelves, loads of storage space (bottles of wine etc!) fridge, full cooker. It is in black, red, pink and gold (not very military!) Hopefully a picture of the interior will be posted, so it will give you an idea, not easy to photograph something that is black inside!!

Attachments

• Tart's boudoir.jpg
    Tart's boudoir.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 228

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
oops think we didn't manage the Foden and trailer pic, will try again....

Attachments

• Odin and trailer.jpg
    Odin and trailer.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 228

daedong

I love to camp like this, no one to bother you, hundreds of miles from anyone.
I built the box on top of the trailer, a double mattres just fits inside, home away from home, well not quite.
P1010023_00.jpg

bits030.jpg

HGM

Used to do some camping as a kid, then realized girls :boobies: were more interesting :a1: ..Now that I'm married with children, got myself a pop-up.

I decided to get one when my son finally showed interest in something other than video games.. Had a little money laying arround at the time and found a good deal on a mint condition '82 Starcraft 16 footer. We took it on its maiden voyage(for us) to Wilmington Nc last year and had a great time. We're planning on going to the Okefenokee for spring break this year, maybe we can get some fishing in too..

Next to the girls, you cant hardly beat the outdoors. Peice and quiet, turn the cel phones and computers off and just enjoy natures best... :a1:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I've had some kind of camper my whole adult ( ? ) life. They are my 'bomb shelter'. First it was slide in truck campers, now I have a Casita travel trailer. It's 17 feet and has a fiberglass shell ... I got sick of leaky roofs.It's very comfy and carefree. I bought it in Arkansas and have taken it to Michigan but mostly I use it to camp out on my own land. :D

Don't have a pic handy but here is a forum about them.
http://www.casitaclub.com/

I would love to have a Sprinter and build my own interior. And have always wanted a 4x4 van but I'm just to cheap to do either....;)

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
We just picked up a trailer last August, when our kids were young we did a lot of tent camping and for several years we had old 16 ft trailer in a campgroung in NH. It had to stay there because I didn't have a vehicle to pull it :pat: .The kids are gone now, I bought a bike in '02 my wife decided she wanted to learn to ride so in '03 we bought her a bike. Since my credit cards still weren't maxed yet I picked up a 4yr old rig they call a toyhauler, the back wall drops down and you drive your bikes or atvs etc. up into it. It has all the comforts of a regular travel trailer. We took it out to So Dakota last Sept. it rode well and since we're to old and decrepid to ride the bikes that far. It sure served the purpose.

OkeeDon

I really like the toy haulers. I looked at them really hard before we decided on the Sprinter. The idea was that I would have a truck for a daily driver and pull a trailer for the RV. However, I need at have "local" transportation (for around an RV park, for example), because I can't walk very far. A toy hauler seemed like the ideal way to take my golf cart along.

Ultimately, we decided on the Sprinter, but I often wonder what I missed. Is your hauler a tag axle or 5th wheel? What are you using for a tow vehicle? What brand is the trailer? Got any pictures? How about pictures of the bikes? Did you go to Sturgis

Michael

I have a 1995 Alpenlite 28' Fifth Wheel trailer that my wife and I bought new in 1996, We have traveled all over the country and just flat out enjoyed having it.

The most interesting trip was 1999 after my aunt died and we were taking her ashes back from Seattle to the family grave plot back in Iowa. I forgot that the Sturgis weekend was going on and we tried in vain to find a RV place to park for the night all the way from Cheyenne Wyoming to 100 miles east of Stugis. We ended up in a rest area with about 75 other bikers, Well after we had dinner my wife noticed that some bikers were having a problem loading a van with a bad transmission onto a car trailer. Well with my son and me being over 6'5" tall and the weight to back us up we went over and assisted in the loading of the van (sort of like getting the Seahawks defensive line instead of the cheerleaders) My son and I got the van loaded on the trailer and got thanked and we went to bed. At about six the next morning we are awakened by knocking on the door and a guy bigger then me is there after I answer the door I am informed that there was steak and eggs waiting for the three of us. My wife loved it as she did not have to cook and the bikers had lots of questions for my wife.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Okeedon, Let me try to post some pics. I've been trying to resize for quite a while with only one image that worked. My truck & trailer on the way to so dakota. We didn't go during bike week ( I'm not a big fan of crowds)went three weeks later. The riding was great, the country was beautiful. The toy hauler towed well '04 chevy 2500HD 6.0 liter gas set up for towing & plowing. I don't own a plow but this gives me the big alternator and HD electrical system. If you want to see more pics I'll resize some tomorow on my MAC. I can't get them to work on te PC (or Piece of Crap as I like to call it.)

Attachments

• 123.gif
    123.gif
    155.7 KB · Views: 180

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
we got another one. This is my darlin', next to her is my wife:yum: :yum: on the way to Devil's tower in Wyoming.

Attachments

• aaaaaa.gif
    aaaaaa.gif
    87.5 KB · Views: 176

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oldie but goodie, 1977 26' class C ford, low 1-owner miles, 460 V-8, Gen set, AC, forced air furnace, big bed. new carpet inside well taken care of. Made the 750 mile trip home no problems got 10-11 mpg worked great!!! Their is alot to say about maintenance this guy was anal about it. Best part was Dealership just wanted to get rid of it!!! Again I paid about the same to get it home in gas money as it cost. Makes me sick!!!:puke1: Well seemed like a great deal at the time!!! We will be a camping now!!! anyone for a snowcat trip???:wave: