• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

new to me spryte, what have i gotten myself into

spencerhenry

i looked for a long time and finally bought one. but now i am getting overwhelmed by the project i have before me. i was pretty certain that i would get it back to stock and just use it. now i am wondering if i should just take the loss and sell it and move on. i can still put the turbo and all that stuff back on it, and sell it basically as i bought it. it is probably not as bad as i am thinking, but i just dont have the patience for stuff like this anymore. i am not sure what parts i am missing, or how everything is supposed to be. it was a running driving cat, and could be put back pretty easily.
any suggestions? anyone need a project?

i am not sure how the carb linkage goes (i am missing some parts), not sure how the heater hoses are supposed to go, need to find a right side engine cover, find an air cleaner, etc...

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
keep plugging along on it i had to do the same thing with my snow track shy of digging 22 grand out of your pocket you will be hard pressed to find any thing that dosn't need some tlc after hundreds of hours of sweat equity invested into my snow trac i now take it any place i want to go and dont worry about it.because of the reliability i have made my origional investment back about 5 times over just from doing occasional work with it.now that im getting a rep as a go to guy for snow cats i'm thinking about getting a larger cat for work maybe something like a 2100 with massive tracks

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
i looked for a long time and finally bought one. but now i am getting overwhelmed by the project i have before me. i was pretty certain that i would get it back to stock and just use it. now i am wondering if i should just take the loss and sell it and move on. i can still put the turbo and all that stuff back on it, and sell it basically as i bought it. it is probably not as bad as i am thinking, but i just dont have the patience for stuff like this anymore. i am not sure what parts i am missing, or how everything is supposed to be. it was a running driving cat, and could be put back pretty easily.
any suggestions? anyone need a project?

i am not sure how the carb linkage goes (i am missing some parts), not sure how the heater hoses are supposed to go, need to find a right side engine cover, find an air cleaner, etc...

Im sure someone here would be intrested any pictures or more details? we are buying
30 or more machines per year

Woody_1

I agree with dds. Just keep on tinkering. I just spent the last three months, every day tinkering on my rig. Now i know it inside and out. And yep it cost bucks. But whatcha gonna do. Don't stop now! When your done just think how you are going to feel. My wife just told me to stop working on ours, we need to get up the crick to the cabin. You will always want to do something else to it. Just get the rig back together. It's not rocket science. I ended up with lots of extra nuts and bolts left over. Replace them. And some junk that didn't need to be there. As far as the glycol lines, It flows out of the pump and into whatever and loops back. Don't stop now Bro!!! :hammer::beer:

mkntrakes

working on snow cats is not for everyone as for your carb situation i wold fuel inject it and use a cable to operate it,as for the cover any fab shop can build them take pictures of your problems and post it as it lot easier to see what you have going on that try to explain it

spencerhenry

here is the cat, and the turbo set up. as seen in the picture, the carb and turbo prevent the use of a "normal" stock engine cover. at one point it worked i am sure, but after a second owner and a non-stock carb replacement who knows about jetting, and other issues.

can anyone post a picture of a non-boogered spryte carb and linkage?

ok, here the pictures arent. is says upload failed.

spencerhenry

must just be one of those days. tried to download it and got nowhere. maybe its because i have a mac, or maybe i just dont know how to do it.

spencerhenry

got the heater plumbing figured out, must have cut out about 5 feet of hose and a couple of 't's. got the headlights working, have both low beams, both high beams, but on high i have only one low beam. determined that a 67 to 72 ford trucks have the throttle linkage i am looking for, now i just have to find one.
there are wires going to the master cylinders, did these cats have brake lights?
where do most people run the rear end vent?
what is the best way to patch holes in the skin from previously mounted lights and such?

Woody_1

Sounds like your on a roll. Good deal! I'm not sure about those wires. Keep at it.

Last edited:

tomelroy

the wires (to the masters) are for the brake lights.

Email me the pics and i will post them if you cant figure it out.

A turbo would be a nice thing if you get it working.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
TBI woud be good.

Yes it would. As would an entire 4.9 liter (300) tuned port injected engine used in 90-96 F150. Very long runners on the intake for exceptional low end torque. Altitude compensation built in. 150 or 160 HP if I remember correctly. Very long life engine, capable of running well beyond 7,000 hours. Killer little engines that sip the fuel as well.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the problem with the 300 is the tpi needs more room than the amc 6 takes up tbi is simple cheap and also has a map sensor for altitude comp kits are also available for plug and play instalations to the amc 6 my vote goes to tbi nothing wrong with the 300 when in a ford but not worth the headache to shoe horn it in

spencerhenry

i am not going to go to the hassle or expense of fuel injection.

i am still looking for throttle linkage, carb and air cleaner. i drove 47 miles to the nearest salvage yard last saturday because they had "several of those trucks in the yard". turns out they had NO trucks of that vintage let alone with a 300.
form what looking i have done, the linkage i am looking for can also be found on a 67 to 72 ford truck with a 300 six.
anyone know where i can find these parts?