• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 3700 Axle Question

TuckerSnoCat

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have been having fun reading all of the old threads. I have a remote cabin high (11,000') in the SW Colorado rockies where I like to play with Tucker's (2), Weasels (3 and a half) and snowmobiles for backcountry access/skiing and general fun.

I may have the opportunity to trade one of my Tucker's for a Thiokol 3700. It came from a small ski resort but has been sitting for 4 years. I got hold of one of the Thiokol's previous operator/mechanics at the ski resort and he says that it ran well but that the front axle was bent on one side and that they were having trouble keeping the tracks on, that's why they sold it. He didn't recall any other issues. Can anyone shed some light on the gravity of this situation and how hard it would be to remedy? I didn't notice anything wrong with the axle or tracks on inspection but didn't have this info then. I will reinspect. Any thoughts? Bend it back? Replace it?

The Thiokol would be helpful to me for its snowmoving ability - I'm thinking it could make a nice road that I could then run the other Tucker up and down on shuttling myself and my ski buddies for backcountry fun.

Thanks in advance!

Russell

Dr. Zaugg

You should take both front tires off and check the spindles against each other first. If the untracking one is bent, it can be easily changed. If the crank arm is bent or has been welded back on and is crooked, you will just have to replace the whole axle. I have welded the crank arms back on but they never stay long. Sometimes just the plastic half moon bushings inside the main axle are shot and that can give you enough movement to make the track come off. I have a spindle and lots of the plastic bushings and possibly a good whole axle.
Paul