• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Utah Registration for offroad useage

2datop

Morning...

This is for the Utah snowcatters out there.

Was on one of my first trips and was stopped by the DNR officer. told me to get it registered, and let me go play that day.

Do we need to register?

Process?

when I called my local assessor office, they said yes.

Was told that we were exempt here in the state by the out of state seller.

Anyone know for sure?

thx

corkuck

You have register it as a ATV like a 4 wheeler, not a snowmobile in Utah. You need a serial number on it. This was my problem on my 1965 Thiokol 1200 had no serial number, so they will issue you one (a sticker), then you have to have an officer sign paper that it's was applied to your cat. Good luck it's a real fun exercise.

Go Thiokol GO!!! Long live Thiokol!!

/rk

jo5

When I checked a while back the state told me I didn't need to get a sticker unless I used it commercially ( ski tours etc ) Said they considered snow cats as agriculture equipment Guess they changed there mind (or they need the money)
They may not know what know what a sow cat is My insurance thinks there 300 cu in snowmobiles finally gave up trying to explain to them was just glad to have it covered

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dido the insurance part....

My agent wanted as many pictures as possible and was told by most companies they would not write it. Finally my auto insurance company insured it for the price I paid for it, as a recreational vehical. In the end she told me they were the only option she could find.

Regards, Kirk

tomelroy

two of my 4t's had been registered as snowmobiles in utah. My local dmv did some research and said registering it as a snowmobile was an option. Also talked to the local cat dealer and was told that many cats are registered as snowmobiles, even cats that are used for site access or to groom trails. Snowcats at resorts are exempt from registering. I use groomed snowmobile trails for site access on occasion so i guess i will play it safe and get some stickers.

2datop

Update....

Went to my local office to get the job done.
They now said I had to have a title.
and the app time would take 90 days, plus require an assurety insurance policy.
Called my insurance agent... 20 bucks per 1000 of value of machine, state requires 2x value of machine for insurance.
ok... frustrated...
called state DMV, they said no all this not needed...

so I went to a diff county and got the job done.. no title required.
anything older than a 1987 does not require a title.
Stickers in hand... going playing today....

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm curious what the two counties were that were difficult and cooperative.

Also curious as to what they charged with respect to sales tax. Did you have a bill of sale?

2datop

juab required the bond. and title.

Sanpete did what the state hot line told me could be done and just charged the sales tax and reg fees.

Sales tax was the 6.x percent... ouch.

yes I did have a bill of sale.