• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Should I or.... Shouldn't I

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
If anyone was looking , last week I was not on FF . I was out of state .
I was Wined & Dined by a group of Civic Leaders and Business Owners

Then came the hook .

Would I consider coming out of retirement to take on a new project ??

I can't give out the details but it involves setting up new "Private local companies" and making them profitable . Its also involves helping to save a dying community from itself . I would also become an advisor and consultant .

I would have total control and answer to no one .

My job would be simple .
Take my pick of business ideas from an existing “Think Tank” and completely build a company that will turn a profit within 2 years to help the local economy or I can use my own ideas . I would be allowed to build the company any way I want .I can keep it small or large in size . I would also set up the training and provide projections of profitability based on the local needs of the area . I would also be involved in setting up and encouraging financial growth in the area , in any way I see fit . Once its up , running and turning a profit , I move to the next project in line .

Its tempting to say the least . I get bored pretty easily and always need something to do . I cut my teeth on starting new businesses and making them profitable real fast . I been everything from the Broom Pusher to the Big Boss and done both at the same time more than once .

But, I also like being retired now . I have a beautiful wife and need to consider her needs and wants too .We like to travel . I turn 56 in a couple months and its been a while since I sold my last business concern .

I like helping others and honestly want to see this succeed to help a community that deserves another chance to live .

Did I mention this is Pro Bono .

So here I sit today , comprehending the whole idea .?????:unsure: They would like to have me on board by March 1st or as soon there after as possible .

I also now have half a heart that still works and just watched my father spend his last days on Earth lying in a hospital bed . That is not the way I intend to go out or be remembered .

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds interesting Al. From what I understand of your situation, you do not need to do this for the money. Being retired, maybe you yearn for a challenge, something to keep you busy. But beware of the stress and constraints on your time and personal life.
Would you still be able to move to Iowa, or is this offer in CA?

They are in a way, asking for something for nothing. You take all the responsibility, you get paid if the decisions you make work. If your decisions do not work, they might run you out of town.
From my understanding of the offer, I do believe I would pass on this one. JMHO.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds interesting Al. From what I understand of your situation, you do not need to do this for the money. Being retired, maybe you yearn for a challenge, something to keep you busy. But beware of the stress and constraints on your time and personal life.
Would you still be able to move to Iowa, or is this offer in CA?

They are in a way, asking for something for nothing. You take all the responsibility, you get paid if the decisions you make work. If your decisions do not work, they might run you out of town.
From my understanding of the offer, I do believe I would pass on this one. JMHO.

I do not get paid weather it turns a profit or not and your right , I LOVE A CHALLENGE !
Doc ??? Why in the hell would I move to Iowa ???:yum::doh: No, the offer is not in Calif . and I am actually in the middle of moving to Idaho and using it as my main residence no matter where I end up over the next couple of years .
Yep . I am going to have to give this some long thought . Its been a long time since I was tarred and feathered and run outta town on a rail .:sad::yum:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
If anyone was looking , last week I was not on FF . I was out of state

I am not sure anyone noticed. :poke: I think if anyone did they just thought you were in the moving process. :yum:
I also now have half a heart that still works and just watched my father spend his last days on Earth lying in a hospital bed . That is not the way I intend to go out or be remembered .

Al enjoy life to it's fullest with what you have left. This venture seems to me like it will take a lot of your time? What does your lovely wife have to say about it? If I remember right you have said many times that she means everything to you.

I do not get paid weather it turns a profit or not and your right , I LOVE A CHALLENGE !
Doc ??? Why in the hell would I move to Iowa ???:yum::doh:

The reason you would want to move to Iowa is because then I would be close enough to visit you that is why you would want to move to Iowa. Really though there is not much in Iowa. Take some time in thinking this one out Al. If I was in your situation I think I would pass.

murph

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oppps, Idaho, Iowa ....got em confuseled. :hide:

And I confused pro bono with the lawyer phrase for taking a case without pay unless they collect. Opps again.

Would taking this job mean a lot of travel for you ...ie: is it a long way from your Idaho homestead?

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Al,
No doubt you are feeling honored by the offer and well you should be. How nice to have such skills and to have this confidence in you from others. I say you really need to think long and hard about the personal sacrifices this job will entail and really delve into the reasons the job appeals to you.
Sometimes an opportunity appeals to our egos and we make a choice to accept out of pride. I speak only from experience. Will the personal gains the job provides outweigh the personal gains you will receive by investing this time in home and family?
I pray you the wisdom to make the decision best for you and for those you love.

The Tourist

Banned
I do not get paid weather it turns a profit or not

I'd go for it. I think sitting around is a bad idea. Besides, you might find something else you like to do just by circulating again.

Just set some limits. I don't work on Mondays. I make that one day I am free fromeverything and everyone to enjoy my time.

As for pro bono work, I think doing work for folks who are struggling is some of the best work I do. I know a few subsistance hunters, and my work makes it easier to put food on their tables.

Besides, will you be under contract, or can you quit whenever you wish?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Al,
No doubt you are feeling honored by the offer and well you should be. How nice to have such skills and to have this confidence in you from others. I say you really need to think long and hard about the personal sacrifices this job will entail and really delve into the reasons the job appeals to you.
Sometimes an opportunity appeals to our egos and we make a choice to accept out of pride. I speak only from experience. Will the personal gains the job provides outweigh the personal gains you will receive by investing this time in home and family?
I pray you the wisdom to make the decision best for you and for those you love.

Wow ! Very good points to consider . The main person that put this together knows me quite well and knows that I enjoy a challenge . The word "Can't be done" is not something that I enjoy hearing .

Thanks for the input from everybody .

And Murph you are right about my feelings for my wife . Nothing is placed in front of her happiest .

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd go for it. I think sitting around is a bad idea. .

I think we all agree sitting around is a bad idea. But Chico, you don't know Al. Al is always into something. He has restored numerous snow machines. Built stuff on his Idaho property and his property in Panama. Lots of threads on here show his work. Al is very good at what he does, and there is not much that he has not done one way or another. So sitting around is not a concern. it will just be putting his time to this new project instead of Al's many other projects.

D

darroll

I would just move to Idaho and you must stay busy.
This economy is just one big question mark.
People have quit buying altogether unless it’s food and medicine, health care.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for all the replys . It finally quit raining here and the little women and I jumped in the truck and went for a ride . No ,I did not get lucky but we did discuss this whole thing out .

I think I am going to pass on it . Yes, it was a boost to my ego that someone wanted a old fart like me to step up and try my luck again , but after a lengthy discussion with the wife, I realized that other pressing committments would need to be put on the back burner .

I am less than half way in a permanent move to Idaho . I still have repairs to complete on the California House before leasing it out .I am still dealing with Dad's estate and will be for some time to come . The new Idaho barn/shop/apartment still needs work before the paying guest start arriving who have already rented it for next hunting season . I have a half finished Kristi KT3 snowcat sitting in the shop that I do not dare move for fear of losing a bunch of parts . And I have a old cattle ranch that needs some major attention to prepare for those goofy ass cows my wife wants to get this spring . I think the Damn Elk took down just about every fence on the place in the last year .
I was also reminded by the wife that I had even agree to help organize a Christmas festival for this coming year in Elk City . I get to give rides in my One horse open Sleigh to the Kids and some fat guy in a Red Suit .

So with that being said , I guess I better say no .

Besides, I really like being able to "sleep in" if I want too or head to Panama if the mood hits me .

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
:hammer::hammer: so that means you won't be coming to Iowa?? Dang it I would have come and visited you :hammer::hammer: Ah heck your wife will be happy, you made the right choice. :thumb:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
If anyone was looking , last week I was not on FF . I was out of state .
I was Wined & Dined by a group of Civic Leaders and Business Owners

Then came the hook .

Would I consider coming out of retirement to take on a new project ??

Not that any of us can give you the advise you want, but the guys that approached you must think you have the "Right Stuff".

So your view should be "Back to the 18 hours days" or "Gone Fishing" when you want to.... Or some other exotic place like "Panama" for a couple of months when you want...

The point is, what makes "YOU" happy... Your heart can't only take so much stress, and watching the sun set with your wife is hard to beat...

Hope you make the right choice!

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Take it from a guy who retired at 55,Al. You'll have plenty to keep ya busy in Idaho and panama. I've told the wife a few times I've thought about going back to work so I can rest up. I don't think you need to throw another iron in the fire. Since we moved to this place I've stayed plenty busy. It isn't run down, just a lot of small projects getting it the way we want it.
I wouldn't mind helping some young guy who just bought a "gravel refinery" get it fine tuned just to pass on some knowledge, but I don't want anything permanent. Plenty to do at home.
Mike

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Al,
I think you made the right choice.
you have plenty on your plate right now with everything you mention and the cattle ranching you were talking about as few weeks back.
If you took the "job" it would eat your life - and you would become frustrated with trying to juggle your projects & family needs with the sense that you "owed" the town more than you could put into it. No matter what, you'd become frustrated because "nothing" was working the way it should if you could "give it the attention it deserved".

an alternative you might toss back at them so as to not completely close the door - they bring you their top 5 proposals April 2 and you evaluate for feasibility and make a set of written suggestions for how to proceed on the 3 best of that bunch by May 1. In 6 months they can come back with a report on how those are doing and you spend a week or 2 reviewing and giving revision suggestions. (or if all 3 failed/never got off the ground, they can bring you 5 new suggestions)
This way they still get your expertise without consuming your life, AND they have to earn their own success without having you as a scapegoat.

good luck!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Al, I refrained from offering an opinion but now that you have indicated your intentions, I think you are making the right decision ... for all kinds of reasons. At our time of life, I'm a little older than you, the road ahead of us is a lot shorter than the road behind us and we, you and I, have earned the right to stroll down it at our leisure and for our pleasure. Good luck on the move to Idaho and enjoy. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: