• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

11 miles of bad road

rfogel

I have a 1404 Imp. Great condition and a fun little machine. Have used it for several years to access the backcountry for skiing. My problem is the amount of snowmobilers has increased to such an extent that the road is always trashed. Any suggestions on suspension for Imp's? It is so bad that most people only do one trip with us and it's done for them.

2nd question: Do Tuckers handle the wash board affect made by snowmobilers any better that the Imp?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking for Northeast snowmobile trails the groomer operators prefer the Tuckers on the mogul trails they need to groom. The Tucker bridges the gap and reduces the effect but it is still a ride. Thankless job grooming.

Sounds like you need to make a drag and keep that trail flat.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There was a Michigan based Super Imp that has torsion trailer a+les in place of the leaf springs. After watching him for a day, I have to say it is a very capable machine in the deep stuff..

As for ride on washboard hard pack, no machine is very good IMHO. Given the chance, we all head for the soft snow, even the Tucker guys...

Grooming only helps the snowmobilers, not so much you who are on the rough ride end of the machine. The snowmobilers will thank you with spinning tracks and big piles...

Any chance you could go off trail and make your own? We did a lot of that at the Mid West Clowder..

Regards, Kirk

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
I have the same issues with my Imp. The snowmobile traffic on our road has gotten intolerable. I built a drag that does help, but doesn't eliminate the problem. The snowmobile bumps always come back. I've found it best to drag it when fresh to take the air out of the snow and set up a more firm base so the sleds have less to tear up.

I also agree with 300 H and H: "The snowmobilers will thank you with spinning tracks and big piles..."

Here's the drag I built:
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=73223

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Here are some hints to help when you groom a mogul filled snowmobile trail to help make it last longer.

Groom late evening/night when it is below freezing to allow the trail to set up before the daytime traffic hits the trail. If you have traffic immediately behind you the trail will not set up and the moguls if not cut out completely will reappear with very little traffic. If the trail is allowed to set over night or for several hours prior to use it will harden up and last much longer. If at all possible the moguls must be cut out or the natural reaction of a track vehicle will just wallow the snow out of the mogul and it is right back at the same location and depth as before you groomed.

You can just smooth out the snow over the bumps but that will not fix the problem. Cutting the mogul out to level with the trail bottom is the best fix and then leave a smooth ribbon behind you to set up overnight. :biggrin: