• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Upgraded my diesel Audi with a new Performance Chip

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Friends with diesel pick up trucks have told me that I should "chip" my car. They swear by performance chips and I finally got around to getting my car chipped. So my already fairly high performance Audi diesel sedan went into the shop and had an APR brand tuning chip added to increase performance.

Original was roughly 250hp, 425ft lbs of torque with 0-60 times of 5.1 seconds and quarter mile at 13.9.

Now roughly 325hp, 500ft lbs of torque, 0-60 time of roughly 4.5 seconds. Not sure about a quarter mile time.

Fuel economy was always in the 40-42mpg range on the highway at 75mph. LONG TERM fuel economy for this car, combined City/Highway, over 32,000+ miles = 37.8mpg according to the car's computer.

Today I averaged exactly 41.0mpg over a 150 mile loop, which included a small amount of Chicago city driving and some rush-hour stop/go driving, but was 90% interstate highway driving. The rumor is that the new performance chip should slightly increase the fuel economy while still giving me the performance boost outlined above.

All I know is that the car used to accelerate with effortless smoothness and was always pretty quick, especially for a fairly large/heavy 4 door sedan. Now it feels likes the demons of hell have been unleashed under the hood when when I accelerate :biggrin: LOTS MORE FUN. And accelerating onto the highway from a ramp, while never a challenge before is simply effortless now.

I don't know how they do it with these performance chips but DAMN :hammer: Oh, and it does not void the warranty, it was actually installed by my Audi dealer.

Anyone else ever had a performance chip installed in a vehicle?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Makes you wonder why they just don't do it from the factory if that is all it takes. Make it an option or whatever.

I've been thinking of getting the Performance Engine Software with Euro-Flash for the Crossfire. $399.00. Also permits self tuning from a laptop. Your post got my gears grinding again as I am taking the car out of winter storage tomorrow.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
You people are evil polluters. Don't you know about how much more carbon you emit going from 250 to 325 hp? Evil. Just evil.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You people are evil polluters.

Don't you know about how much more carbon you emit going from 250 to 325 hp?

Evil. Just evil.

No. Please tell me :hammer:

But seriously, if the fuel economy stays the same, or is actually slightly improved, then there should be no additional pollution. And possibly slightly less. Right?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
See...now I woulda had it installed without telling the wife and found a way to conceal the control box then tell her to head out somewhere where I know she'd have to step on it. LMAO!!! I could just picture the shocked look on her face.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
See...now I woulda had it installed without telling the wife and found a way to conceal the control box then tell her to head out somewhere where I know she'd have to step on it. LMAO!!! I could just picture the shocked look on her face.

Oh the Lovely Mrs_Bob has no clue I had this installed. Guy code :wink:

Everything is under the hood, so no switch or box or anything inside the passenger cabin.

And yes, when she steps on it to enter the highway she will very likely get a huge smile on her face, that or she will pull over and have to change her undies :yum: She doesn't drive my car much, but my car had much better acceleration than her SUV anyway. But I noticed the change immediately. Near as I can tell not only did this tune alter the engine, but it seems to have altered the transmission shifts too. The car is far more aggressive. And fun!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I had one installed on the F350 when I was towing a 40' 5th-wheel around. It wasn't just a "chip" it was a a "system" where you could dial in however much extra horsepower that you wanted. Just me, the truck and the road you could dial in 100 extra hp and you could smoke those back tires. It was always counter intuitive to me but the heavier the load you were towing, the lower the setting. When towing the 5'er, the setting was supposed to be 50 extra hp but a butch more torque.

There was a 135 hp setting but as the guy told me, that was only for emergencies like running from the cops or outrunning a biker gang as it could twist the drive shaft like a pretzle.

Oh, what is really nice is that there is a "high idle" setting which is around 1600 rpm that is great for running the engine while running an inverter for electrical power when the grid is down. You gotta be as versatile as possible. Right?????