• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

st4 steering problems

mr reino

Hi!Iam a new owner of a st4-64 number -550.Ihave just done my first ride and it feels great.Just cant stop smiling.Ihave a little issue with the turning and when i turn left or right little harder it begins to buck.?fail.Doesnt feel that in long turns or when im driving forward or backward.Is it something who needs to adjust?mvh reino

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the belt shouldn't have lots of play. The tighter it is the tighter your steering . I run mine about 1.5 inch play when the wheel is centered going straight.
over greasing will throw grease in the belt and cause slipping.
snow tracs aren't good at really hard short turns . the manual tells you to back up on tight switchbacks.
hope I helped
jim

night-owl

GOLD Site Supporter
somebody may have messed with it ? check out Lyndons Post - Variator !
was posted on 5-10-2006 on Fourms - by far everything you need to know to check things out . I don't know how to post shortcut -a Forums search will find it ~~steve~~

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Stock grousers or after market? Mine were square tubes and had too much ground resistance. This caused the track to hit the side of the trac in a tight turn, and in a really tight turn cause it to start detracking which on mine was felt like a hard vibration (tires running up on the guides).

mr reino

all stock.It seems to be the same problem .Feels just like that you describe.Wheel or something hit the side.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine would buck if the grousers got too much traction. In deep snow it never happened. In shallow snow, especially in areas where the grousers could grab into the grass beneath the snow it was a problem. Solution is to NOT make sharp turns.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
The other thing that can cause this is the rear wheel axle support bushing. I will try to find photo's so you see the part I'm talking about.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
unless you isolated it to your variator you drive chain or track sprocket could cause that buck.

jim

Last edited:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks.Yes please show me a pic of that part.
the housing, and a bad picture of the bearing and it's replacement. As it wears, it allows the back tire to mis-track. During turns it can get really bad.

The original was phenolic bearings which when worn allows the assembly to tilt. I replaced with bronze bearings.

Attachments

• Photo0455.jpg
    Photo0455.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Photo0457.jpg
    Photo0457.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 183

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you have an st-4 b if your machine is the one in the avatar. first I would look at the varriator belt ,also check chain condition, and sprockets. last thing I would look at is the axle splines in both final drive sprockets, and drive drum. these are prone to wearing out, the additional grab of the herring bone grousers may be enough to pull through the splines, if this is the case it wont be long it wont pull at all.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mr reino If the machcine in your photo is yours.....

tighten up your traccks, I would hedge a virtual beer that is your problem....

ike