• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Muskeg Wheel Bearing lubricant

samwe

My Muskeg wheel bearings seemed to have a thin lubricant instead of normal wheel bearing grease. It looked sort of like old black motor oil, but under bright light had a reddish tint.
A friend suggested that someone had added ATF for cold weather purposes and perhaps did not remove the grease first so we have a mix.

What should we running in there? Normal wheel bearing grease or something else?

Also, the good news for us is that the bearings looked pretty good and it was clear no water had gotten in. (shiny metal and black oil, but no rust to be seen.)

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My Muskeg wheel bearings seemed to have a thin lubricant instead of normal wheel bearing grease. It looked sort of like old black motor oil, but under bright light had a reddish tint.
A friend suggested that someone had added ATF for cold weather purposes and perhaps did not remove the grease first so we have a mix.

What should we running in there? Normal wheel bearing grease or something else?

Also, the good news for us is that the bearings looked pretty good and it was clear no water had gotten in. (shiny metal and black oil, but no rust to be seen.)

If you have the oil bath hubs ( there will not be any grease zerks but a cover with two plugs ) then ATF works good in the cold or 80-90 in the summer

samwe

Thanks for the response.
We are getting ready to pull the engine and install the lower gears we got from you last fall. I am anxious to see how it performs.