• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1404/IMP carburetor info

Impy

Hi all,

New here, but not new to Thiokol Imps. Have run one since 1987 that has what looks like 1500 drive sprocket and track parts, but that's not why I'm posting.

Many may know that the original Cologne V4 Thiokol used were also used in other vehicles in Europe.

Saab used it as well, and in the past when I needed an original cooling fan, I found one at a Saab boneyard.

As for the carburetor, mine has the Solex 28/32 PDSIT-4, as most of you do also. This exact carb was used by Saab (68/69??).

Attempts in the past to get a rebuild kit that actually was for the PDSIT-4 over the years has been a lesson in frustration. What everyone sells as a PDSIT rebuild kit lacks the proper bowl cover gasket. The PDSIT-4 carburetor has a vent extending off from the side of the float bowl and I have been unsuccessful at finding one. There is also a difference with the accelerator pump diaphragm as I recall as well, but it escapes me exactly what the issue was. I think it was something about the shaft length though.

A recent flooding incident has forced me to take up this chase once again, and I discovered a company in Medford, OR that has the correct kit.

Markashcraft.com specializes in parts for old Saabs and he has 5 exact kits in stock today.

He sells them with an 18 page booklet on the rebuilding process, so it is not a $14.00 rebuild kit, but try and find anything on proper rebuilding of this carb. I dare you. (at least one in English) His part number is 4186.

He is very knowledgeable on the engine and the carburetor, and sells parts for both.

An interesting note; talking with Mark, he says the proper fuel pressure for this carburetor is about 3.5lbs. I was never able to find this info before when I finally replaced my original fuel pump with an electrical version. Because my pump was defective, I was unable measure its pressure. If memory serves, the unit I installed was rated at around 6-7 lbs. Mark thinks that is much too high and sold me an adjustable fuel pressure in-line unit. Hopefully this will solve my flooding at RPM issue I had the last time out.

He also sells a replacement carburetor for the Cologne V4 which is the Weber 34 ICH. He sells it with a parts package to convert it for use in the Saab cars, and he also sells some of the solid rod and ball linkage Thiokol used.

When my stuff shows up, I'll add a post on it.

If anyone has any part numbers for the distributor points, condenser, rotor and cap, I'd be interested in that info. I thought I had logged it in my book last time, but regrettably not apparently.

Happy crawling!

jp11

Impy-

I got one of german eBay if I remember correctly. Even at that, the carb kit wasn't perfect.

As for the points and such.. I went with an electronic kit from pertronix I think it was called. less than a hundred bucks.. and no more messing with it. eBay up saab sonnet electronic ignition.

JP

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
If anyone has any part numbers for the distributor points, condenser, rotor and cap, I'd be interested in that info. I thought I had logged it in my book last time, but regrettably not apparently.

Happy crawling!

I just replaced my dist cap, rotor, and points on my 1404. Napa was able to find the parts, surprisingly. (It helps to have someone behind the counter with 40+ years experience.) If I still have the boxes I will follow up with details....

jo5

my records show for a 1969 1404 ( was suppose to be a 1974 ) dist parts
NAPA
Dist Cap EP 131
Points CS 316
Rotor EP 143
Condenser EP 294
They are what was put in mine just before I got it
Hope this helps

Impy

So following up;

The carb kit I ordered and received is the exact kit for the Solex PDSIT-4, including the correct bowl gasket w/side hole and the original accelerator pump diaphragm.

I also found and purchased a new Solex float for the PDSIT-4. I found it at aircooled.net, their part number 43-4403-0 which says is for a carb/43-4400. It is made by Brosol. I attached pics.

Attachments

• 20160127_182616.jpg
    20160127_182616.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 278
  • 20160127_183403.jpg
    20160127_183403.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 275