• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help Identify? Snow Cat

bobscats

Recently Aquired this machine and this is what I was told or know. It has a chrome emblem for the front that says SNOW CAT...it was allegedly built in the early 1950's by some one at Hetteen Hoist and Derrick in Roseau Mn which became Polaris in 1954. It is on a 1941 Ford Running gear with drum brakes and powered by an early Wisconsin 2 cylinder engine. It has master cylinders for each brake. It has the 41 Ford transmission and rear end...I was told it was being designed to freight supplies into remote Alaskan camps before Alaska was a state and it was prototype that never went in to production. I was told the man who designed it was given the machine which had been in storage for years on his retirement... sold to a man that had it 15 years then to another who bought it at that mans auction 5 years ago. Under Snomobiles in Wikipedia in mentions a US manufacturer making something like this in the early 50's. All the welding and sheet metal work looks extremely well done and well engineered. It starts and drives and operaes well even on black top or cement..any thoughts?

Attachments

• snowcat.jpg
    snowcat.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 363

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Arnold tractor company has a history similar to that story. Happy hunting.

those tracks look like tracks I recently saw on a "Ferrit" also made by the arnold tractor company...

Machine has a neat look.

Mike

Oh and welcome to the forum.