• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

History Channel: TOP SHOT ~ very disappointed

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been looking forward to the new show TOP SHOT on The History Channel. From the looks of the promotional commercials I figured there would be a lot of shooting. After all the show is supposed to be about shooting.

WRONG

The show seems to follow the reality show mold of focusing on the drama between the competitors with some shooting thrown into the mix. There are action shots of the competitors walking :whistling: Why?

They do use some good slow motion video so you can actually see the bullets in flight, reactive targets explode to confirm hits, etc. But those actually became repetitive.

In the lead up to the final challenge they set 2 competitors in an elimination round, each was set up with a Marine Sniper Instructor. That would have been a great time to learn some real tips on how to shoot long range. NOPE. They mentioned trigger pull in passing but spent as much time on the "smiley face" one of the shooters shot above a target.

Not sure about anyone else, but I was/am disappointed.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

The show seems to follow the reality show mold of focusing on the drama between the competitors with some shooting thrown into the mix.
There are action shots of the competitors walking :whistling: Why?
Reality shows usually suck. In this case, sounds to me like they went along the same line as other reality shows.
Toss in a few crumbs to get an audience, then let the viewers down.
Bahh! Glad I didn't know about it.

Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
In the lead up to the final challenge they set 2 competitors in an elimination round, each was set up with a Marine Sniper Instructor. That would have been a great time to learn some real tips on how to shoot long range.

Did you know that Lee Marvin, the movie actor who always seemed to play in war movies, was actually one of our top marine snipers when he served in the Marines? His cohort in many movies, Charles Bronson, won many medals for as a tail gunner.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
NOPE, didn't know any of that.

Did you know that Caleb in the TOP SHOT TV show is a gun writer from Indiana?

grizzer

I thought it was entertaining especially with exploding targets. Sitting thru shooting a hillside up is booring. Windage clicks is booring. I want entertainment, exploding cars targets etc...

They should have mixed it up with spears, throwing stars, sling shots, some cannon fire, cell phone IED's, RPG's, anti tank rounds...

I wanna see some shooting not normally done unless a jihaddist!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought it was entertaining especially with exploding targets. Sitting thru shooting a hillside up is booring. Windage clicks is booring. I want entertainment, exploding cars targets etc...
Total agreement with you on this point.

What I found idiotic were the scenes where they were walking in groups with dramatic music in the background. Or the scenes in the hotel(?) rooms. Or the discussion near the end about how they had 2 hours to go back and think about who they would vote off the show and then the return where they came back and shot targets with a pistol to cast their votes. That was all pretty lame.

The reactive targets, the slow motion video of target hits, that was all good.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I guess I am glad I missed it. I was looking forward to watching the show but now I may not waste my time.