• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

for the snocat history buffs

akmountaineer

Wow, the first Tuckers sure had an interesting screw drive propulsion system. I would love to see one of those in operation, although I can't imagine it was very effective in soft powder. Thanks for posting.

Attachments

• tuck.jpg
    tuck.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 323

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
there was some good info especially that part about the vehicle should not be more that 1 1/2 times length to width. I have seen some long commercial rigs like the gt 2000 and the torque arms take a beating when steering.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the main reason ,I believe was stated the early bombie products were intended for flat wind blown ground, and they were studding the science of operating in deep alpine snow.

socal4t12

Great post. The author, as it turned out, was the driving force behind the development and production of the Thiokol series cats, and the original University of Utah models. His family has told me stories of all the fun times they had testing out the new designs and theories. He was an amazing man with great ideas. Its very cool to see how the different companies had the same ideas, and how they kinda took each others information and designs and made them better.

Well maybe in Canada but not in the USA! its always been Tucker as the leader in sno-cats, but that's my opinion and I am no buff but the more I read and (I also thought they where #1 bombardier) and worked for a skidoo company, but then I got my tucker and have read lots of articles and seems to me tucker has been a leader from the word snow! alot of good came form this research center in Utah as well as the birth of the thiokol, very intersting articles and history! thanks for the Awesome article! good job:clap:
Very interesting read, but not much info on Bombardier who I was always told was the forerunner on snow machines. All other followed in his shadow.Check out his first machine. A prop driven machine.
http://www.museebombardier.com/en/content/jab/biographie1907_1925.htm