• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone else watch Daytona 500?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure I will again with the current rule changes. To many "breaks" to many accidents, to much time wasted. So much so they finished the race under lights.

I miss the days of actual racing, head up run what you brung as long as it passed tech inspection.. If your car was much faster, you might win by a lap or more. Boring I suppose. But it seems to me to stop a race twice in the middle doesn't really sound like racing anymore. It sounds like more of an entertainment derived media event, some thing along way from the good old days of NASCAR when cars were not the same, and there were not many close finishes to the race...

Seems to me if it ain't broke don't go fix'in on it...

Or am I just an old fashion prude here? :unsure:

So what did you think watching the race?

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nope but they were talking about it at the cigar lounge today and apparently it was a cluster. I gather that some of the drivers are pretty upset.

The rule changes seem to game the system.

Honestly sounds like they are trying to give out 'participation trophies' to the drivers. Points for this, points for that, more points for winning, blah blah blah

If they really want to screw up this event they should introduce Right Hand turns.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The entire field of cars was on the lead lap all bunched up, all of the time. Each restart and each yellow flag (lots of those) bunched up the field tight, making it hard to pass. Not any wonder many of the big names were out of the race due to crashes wrecking their cars. I think the allowed time on caution flags for car repairs, but with out any replacement parts? Jeesh they lost me for part of the race...

The cars are reinforced to keep the drivers from being killed, the walls now sport "energy absorbing construction" to keep drivers from being killed. One now has to wonder it they are not engineering "crashes" into the "media" value for advertisers, and there were plenty of those during all the breaks in racing..

But it isn't racing any more in my book. :hammer:

Regards, Kirk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I watched simply because I've been a fan since I was old enough to walk. But yes, it was a total shitshow. Brian France should be shot and pissed on for what he has turned the sport into. He's too busy trying to cater to the millennium generation that the rest of the long time fans have all but said screw it.
I read somewhere that dirt track attendance is up lately and adding more seats. I know where they are coming from. All of the fans that nascar has turned away recently.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Nope. Not like the old days with Petty, Baker and the Allison boys. Remember those winged Mopar Superbirds and the Ford Torino's? Those were the days.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah I watched it, but with so many changes lately I'm about to lose interest. The new segments and competition cautions keep the field bunched up. A bunched up field at Daytona just means more wrecks. I guess that's what brings fan enjoyment. After all who wants to watch 40 cars in single file for 200 laps?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like the PC folks have got their way with NASCAR. :angry: I much prefer a real race like Kirk said. Race what you brought ...if you are faster good for you. Win by a lap. OK you earned it. Or you break down with 3 laps to go. Chit happens.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Gave up on NASCAR when they started using restrictor plates.
Go racing Fer cripes sake!

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I haven't watched in years. When did they go to those little toy cars? They always think they have to change things. Get rid of the toyotos. Nascar is for American cars!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't watched in years. When did they go to those little toy cars? They always think they have to change things. Get rid of the toyotos. Nascar is for American cars!
Yep. Like Chevys and fords built either in Canada or Mexico. Lol

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I don't watch much of NASCAR anymore, they are all about money and not competition. And the 500 sucked, and Taladaga will also since they are going to do the same thing there this year.

I'm an old foggie who liked the old days with Junior Johnson, Dick Trickle, Petty, Yarborough, and the like. That was racing. A guy who had a small shop could come in for a couple of races and win if he was good enough, but NASCAR screwed the little guy.

And don't get me started with NASCAR's retarded no Confederate Flag thing.

Screw NASCAR, I'm finally done with them too! :furious::furious::furious:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't watch much of NASCAR anymore...

Well we are all (or at least most of us) old enough to remember when they ran American cars, based on real production cars, that were built in local garages, sponsored by the local furniture store, and watched it develop into professional teams. So yeah, these million dollar cars and mega-buck teams, with multi-national corporations as sponsors, well that just doesn't scream "middle class" or "good-old-boys" type racing anymore.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
That was in the 1960's on the Hemi Mopars.

427 Fords couldn't keep up with un restricted Hemi's; Chevy/GM was a non factor from '65ish till the Aero Cars were effectively banned in '71-72.

Gave up on NASCAR when they started using restrictor plates.
Go racing Fer cripes sake!

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I don't watch NASCAR Cup racing on TV.

But there is still great racing at local level. NASCAR sanctions a lot of short local tracks. That is where the fun is!

Sacramento area has NASCAR sanction track that has always been fun(All American Speedway)

World of Outlaws is coming to track by me next month; that will be fun! Dirt trackin...

I don't watch much of NASCAR anymore, they are all about money and not competition. And the 500 sucked, and Taladaga will also since they are going to do the same thing there this year.

I'm an old foggie who liked the old days with Junior Johnson, Dick Trickle, Petty, Yarborough, and the like. That was racing. A guy who had a small shop could come in for a couple of races and win if he was good enough, but NASCAR screwed the little guy.

And don't get me started with NASCAR's retarded no Confederate Flag thing.

Screw NASCAR, I'm finally done with them too! :furious::furious::furious:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My problem is the nearest local track is 5 hours away. Not very practical. We have a local track here but it closed in 2004 and only opened up again 3 years ago for a one off event in the fall. There's been talk of a track being built at another location which would host a full season but thats been in the works for 5 years as its being built over a swamp. So they need LOTS of fill.