• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ST4 trans issues

Beartooth

Well, after a lot of time sorting other issues, I am to the trans. I can't seem to get any normal shift pattern. I have searched and reviewed Lyndon and others notes to no avail. I have a new shift plate. When installed per Lyndon notes, high side up and to left, I have 1st and second, when installed up and to the right, I have 1, 2, and reverse. I have not found 3 or 4. What other adjustment could there be. The square ball socket on trans seems extremely loose, as does the sheet metal box mounted to the floor. Seems as though there is a lot of play. I was figuring on taking engine out and trans this summer to go through it all. Maybe earlier than planned. I was told when I purchased this machine that it was stuck and then unstuck before I bought it. If I need to get another trans pith the correct gearing, 4 reverse, one forward, where or who do I call. I Shepard there was someone in Cal that has done this. Any advise would be welcomed?

Doug

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the best guys I have found is carcraft in riverside ca look tehm up on the webb Ron identified my trans as a bug transmission with a bus shift tower and flipped ring gear. once removed you take off the varriator parts the basic transmission can be boxed and mailed to them the postage will set you back about 75.00 at least that is what it cost to mail mine to nome ak.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
New Shift plate?

Any way you could post up some pictures of what your looking at??

The tunnel over the Trans is just lag screwed into the wooden floor. You might get bigger screws, or put small bolts all the way through, with nuts on the bottom..

I want to make sure the shift plate you say is new is correct, and installed in the right way. The spring that is in the tower is pressing down on that plate, correct?

Pics always help.

Btw the shift pattern is standard H pattern, with reverse beyond the H to the right, and up or forward. First is on the right side of the H, and down, 2nd straight up from there. The left hand gate of the H has 3rd in the low position and 4th in the up or forward position.. Like you were sitting in a beetle (car) in the passenger seat turned around facing the rear, and shifting driving backwards.... :wink:

Regards, Kirk

Sno-Surfer

My trans cover just sits there and is not mounted (anymore). It makes no difference to the shifting.
It sounds to me that you need to micro adjust the shifter plate. It needs to be in just the right spot side to side. You can just loosen the two bolts up and slide the shifter plate one way or another until it shifts correctly and easily. There is a technique to it and it's described in a Bently vw manual although will be reversed for the snow trac. I will see if I can find a good explaination and post an link.
Just a little off with the plate and it does just as you describe.

Beartooth

Thanks guys for the reply. I called car craft today and Ron agree's that it is odd that I can find gears but not consistent. I to believe the problem lies in the linkage at the tunnel. Everything seems too loose including the base. That said, I will take everything apart tonight and check for gears by hand. If I can beef up the base or floor for a solid foundation, I think that would help. I will see if I can get some pics and upload tomorrow. So close yet so far for the first ride.

Doug

Beartooth

Just took everything apart. The shift Housing off, unscrewed from floor and removed. I am looking at the trans nose. Shift rod coming out of trans with the ball cup on it. I started the machine and I can manually put it in reverse, first and second. I can not find third or forth by hand. I did want to take a BFH to it though. Thought twice on that one. I was hoping to find all gears easily which would narrow my problems to the housing and adjustment.:sad:

Sno-Surfer

There is not much linkage on a snow trac. A vw bus has a couple shifting issues because of the extended shift linkage. That little shift plate adjustment makes all the difference on a snow trac. (And bus for that matter)

Beartooth

I understand the shift plate and that will be the next step. But first I must at least know that I have five gears. Four forward and one reverse. If I cant manually shift the Hockey stick at the nose cone then I believe I have other issues.

Doug