• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1980 Skidozer 252 rear fluid change

docmaple

I can't remove the drain plug to change the rear diff fluid. Any suggestions? I have not change it and am afraid to run it incase there is any water in it.

rcc

This plug will come out but give us a pic of the plug. I have had some concerns in the past trying to get these out, but after cleaning out the mud etc etc etc and then some heat it gave in. Hope you have the same fortune.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with the above post.

Heat the threaded flange the plug is in. Give it a good wack with a 3lb shop hammer straight on.. Then wrench the bugger out. Get mean, get angry and get the darn thing out!

All the while think of the time and money saved getting the water out. I've done a ring and pinon in one of these, and trust me you don't want to go there if you don't have too.

Regards, Kirk

docmaple

I finally got the drain plug out!!! I used a trick from a friend. He said brace the socket wrench with a floor jack so it cant back out.
So now since it is drained can I use New Holland Multi G 134 Hydraulic Transmission oil?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great idea on the drain plug. Glad it's out.

If it's a universal trans, brake and hydraulic type I would say so...

Cat and JD both have these Universal type oils, so New Holland probably does to.

Regards, Kirk

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seeing as how the drain plug will be messed up, and you need a new one, replace it with a magnetic plug. Caterpillar has some dandies. I put them on the fill too, so every time you check fluid level, you get a read on what is going on in that compartment. Little pieces of metal tend to raise heck with carrier bearings and ring/ pinion surfaces, and hd. pumps don't like them either.

docmaple

You are right. The drain plug is damaged so I was planning on replacing it. It did have a magnetic one and there were no metal shavings on it. Can I source the plug at a local auto parts store?

Dwmaster

I'm a new owner of a full cab 252 and I need to order Ampsoil to replace the fluid in mine. How many gallons do I need?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
powershift transmission oil has the friction additive for wet clutch or brake systems

docmaple

Do you think the new Holland multi G 134 transmission oil has the friction additive?
Where could I check. I also got a brass plug it has an external hex not an internal square like the one I am replacing. Is it OK.

Dwmaster

I ordered Powershift. 30 weight, I hope that is correct. Thanks for the quick advice. The previous owner put 80/90 in it. Luckily it was only in there for about 4 hours of drive time before I bought it from him. I suppose I better pull the return line and try and get most of it out.