• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dog doors.....

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am tied of being the doorman..... Anyone have a dog door they recommend for the extremes we see in WY?? It will go in a patio door, so I will either buy a pre fab panel or construct one myself. Let the ideas fly!!!!!!!!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
If you have unheated garage or porch, put a doggy door in that and from there another into the house to tame the enegy bills [I presume you're trying to tame extreme energy bills not extreme neighbors].

A few rugs strategically placed might even minimize mud tracks.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Do you have a lot of "pests" in your area?

We had a dog door at our old place. I think anything will work, but one thing to keep in mind is that anything can come in and out per four legged critters.

Not sure of the manufacturer, but there is a radio controlled dog door that will only open if the dog is wearing a collar that will send out the signal to the receiver to open the door as the dog gets near.

Our dog door at the time also had a lock from the inside so you could "lock" the door up so nothing could come it while your were gone (break ins). Not sure if they all come that way, but something you want to make sure you get if it's a concearn.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
It is part of a dog's job specification to want to be the other side of a door - if they are in, they want to be out, you just have to accept it and be a doorman.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
:agree: I agree. :thumb: Consider it good exercise...constantly getting up from the sofa. I bought a dog door for my pooch. It could be mounted through a door or even a wall, had a clear rubbery flap with a magnet on the bottom to keep it from flapping in the wind, and a solid panel for 'locking' it when not in use. I never got around to installing it. If my pal can keep the trails clear of bears and other critters ahead of me, and warn me of bad guys poking around the back yard, I think I can manage to open the door for him a few times (ok, maybe 20 times) a day.

Attachments

• chama.gif
    chama.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
:agree: I agree. :thumb: Consider it good exercise...constantly getting up from the sofa. I bought a dog door for my pooch. It could be mounted through a door or even a wall, had a clear rubbery flap with a magnet on the bottom to keep it from flapping in the wind, and a solid panel for 'locking' it when not in use. I never got around to installing it. If my pal can keep the trails clear of bears and other critters ahead of me, and warn me of bad guys poking around the back yard, I think I can manage to open the door for him a few times (ok, maybe 20 times) a day.

The worst part is 20 I would not mind BUT it has to be at least 200 times and most of them between the hours of 10pm and 4am.:pirate: I still laugh at how much my dog Boris looks like yours!!!!!:thumb:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone else think there is a resemblance?

Attachments

• 000_0055[1].jpg
    000_0055[1].jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 106

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I have the same dog door as bobpierce. it works great, but it does let in the cold or heat depending on the time of year. I think no matter what dog door you get, it will have that consequence. I work 10 hour days so I love knowing my dogs can come inside anytime they please.

Attachments

• 2007_0302Wisconsin20070024.jpg
    2007_0302Wisconsin20070024.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 130