• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wapiti Snow Machine

J5 Bombardier

For sale section on, Maple Leaf UP. One of three built by Ford Motor Company in 1952-53 for the Canadian government, interesting machine at over 11 feet wide. Needs to be saved, located in Ontario Canada.
J5 Bombardier

Attachments

• wapiti.jpg
    wapiti.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 442

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is interesting, especially the part about Ford having built 3 of these and for the Government of Canada. Can you think of any reason Ford would not have done the absolute best job they could do, regardless of cost? Any more info you might be able to provide, like anything about the steering differentials? Model number, anything that would lead to more information? Thanks

Price?

Regards, Kirk

J5 Bombardier

Easiest way would be to go to Maple Leaf Up forum , in the for sale section , a long thread describes its history.
J5 Bombardier

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is what I found so far...

Wapiti...3

The gearbox was ordered through Leyland Montreal.The vehicle has an airshifter which allows you to preselect each gear a bit like a Ferret car. The controlled differential was a custom designed and built but seems very similar to the M24 type diff in a Chaffee. Most major suspension components were made of aluminium & magnesium to reduce weight as is the hull and rivetted aircraft style body. The vehicle is rear engined with the diff in the front.

The first vehicle was delivered to DND in Dec 1952 while the last two were completed May 1953. Following extensive testing a number a material failures become apparent- the lighweight components, support brackets etc in the suspension were not up to the task. Even after a redesign the support brackets were ultimately made of stronger ferrous metals. With its hi compression engine starting and running in cold climates was a challenge and by the time the compression ratio was lowered the engine was deemed to be underpowered for the vehicle. The final recommendations for the vehicle included the installation of a 200-250HP V8 engine with an automatic transmission. This of course never occurred.

There were hope among the DND officials that the US would be interested in this oversnow vehicle but instead they went ahead with their own version ( the OTTER) which must have cost even more to develop and build.One of the documents I located suggest that a Continental air cooled engine (as per OTTER) would cost $22,000 each!! When the project finally concluded the total cost for developing and building the 3 Wapiti prototypes was $1,250,000.00. Don't forget that this was 1952-53 when you could buy a nice middle class home for a few thousand dollars!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doesn't sound like it was successful and it chalked full of hard to find major components. BIG project.

Maybe a refurbish into a static display would be more fitting...…

Kool pic's at the website you pulled this from..

Regards, Kirk

J5 Bombardier

With the exchange at a gazillion Canadian to 1 dollar US, this could probably be picked up for a song. Tariffs not withstanding.
J5 Bombardier:hammer:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting vehicle, not sure what to do with a vehicle that is 11' wide? Did I read that correctly, 11' wide?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would say that the machine needs a home with wide open spaces, something with wind blown ditches. and open country roads. maybe corn or beans area's.......

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would say that the machine needs a home with wide open spaces, something with wind blown ditches. and open country roads. maybe corn or beans area's.......

I wouldn't say that,after reading kirks review. as it sits under the tarp is a good place.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
kirk is a handy guy, he will be a empty nester soon..... Just saying......

Hell if there were two trees in outagamie county, sure as sh!t I would need to fit that between them....

Although there is a certain tank testing machine < dyno > in MN. that contraption would look good sitting next to that..... Out doors in MN, MN outdoors.... has a nice ring......