• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

new to the forum with a question

JarettD

hello everyone, i have planted about 150 prarie sky poplar around my yard about 5 years ago and i guess i let them get away from me. i have many trees that have grown suckers or shoots that have grown almost as big as the main stem itself. my question is will i kill the tree if i remove this, (some trees have multiple suckers that can be as tall as 16'

thanks a bunch:thumbup:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
hello everyone, i have planted about 150 prarie sky poplar around my yard about 5 years ago and i guess i let them get away from me. i have many trees that have grown suckers or shoots that have grown almost as big as the main stem itself. my question is will i kill the tree if i remove this, (some trees have multiple suckers that can be as tall as 16'

thanks a bunch:thumbup:

This is typical of the species. You can sparingly apply a non systematic Brush killer to new shoots. Like Round-Up. But I would advise against doing so to kill the adult sucker trees

It won't hurt to cut them or dig them up. However I would be careful about using a Herbicide brush killer to execute the stumps.

Stump dissolvers, (Stump Out) will dissolve them without continuing into the parent tree.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
This is typical of the species. You can sparingly apply a non systematic Brush killer to new shoots. Like Round-Up. But I would advise against doing so to kill the adult sucker trees

It won't hurt to cut them or dig them up. However I would be careful about using a Herbicide brush killer to execute the stumps.

Stump dissolvers, (Stump Out) will dissolve them without continuing into the parent tree.

Round Up is NOT what it used to be. I find Agent Orange works much better and faster. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and a respirator.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
In general, you can trim off one third of the foliage of a tree and it will survive.
Might want to paint the cuts with tree wound stuff or old , thick latex paint.