• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ose Mountain in Alaska

osemtnak

he has done some nice work on the place i lovve the fall colors the tundra gets pretty in the fall around here too

TNX. DON..In Nov. 77 I was reminded life is short, I am only leaving MY Mark. WITH A WONDER FULL WOMEN. Who has the same ambition..Together we have made some thing out of nothing..Injoying Life..As we travel through it... Beats holding up the end of a BAR !:hammer:

osemtnak

And again here is another set of photos of Duane's place.

Grow our own food stuffs, Geen H. 16' x 36' for early to late gardening,:.Hill side garen catches the sun, and early frost poll on past us...15' X 16' Kit. & all the cuboards, & pantry, aisl for table & cuboards, Romantic lighting,Home made lumber from our birch, Machined in our basement....Norweigan friends at work,...3 floors of 30' X 40' Built to some day become a Lodge...Right now it is a," Hands On Wilderness living Experince ". We put our Friends to work.. Fire places yet to build, (Framed in ).. The cellar , or cold room is in the basemrnt 10' X 10' , with freezer chest , works great. It was realy fun building a Home the way we did, our way on our own time , no middle man.... Paid for too !:hammer:

osemtnak

Mr. Ose, Sir..
Some people would say "How can they live like that?"
I would say you are very blessed and fortunate to live like that.
Awesome pictures, lovely stories.
Bravo and God Bless You and Yours. :D

YOUR WORDS MEAN A LOT, Thank you.... Right on ,"FIRE FOR EFFECT "..Lovely Stories, for loving People...." You can take the Girl out of the Country , But you can't take the Country , out of the Girl. ":biggrin:

osemtnak

Duane sent me some more photos to post, some are self explanatory, others may not be as easy to describe. The are photos of the Green House, cabins and the main house.

You need to keep in mind, that to build any of this stuff, it either have to be gotten from the wilderness, towed 100+ miles by snowmachine or flown in... None of this was easy and took years to get it where it is now.

Since he is now able to post here, maybe I can get him to describe what photos are of what and where.

Photos are worth a 1,000 words...Every now and again people from all over the world come by for a " Hands On, Alaskan Wilderness Expeince ":hammer:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Duane sent more photos and a discription of the roofing work he was doing on the cabin..

Duane.....

"Notice the tight fit, the scissor bracing and key lock to tighten the A Frame , 2 X 12 s spaced 2 feet , plus poly sheeting for vapor bearer , 10" fiberglass bats , Not shown, the 1 x 6's nailer's spaced 4 " for the steel roof sheeting . ( Steel weighs 3,600 lbs. )"

Attachments

• ose051.jpg
    ose051.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,990
  • ose055.jpg
    ose055.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,068
  • ose048.jpg
    ose048.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 2,106

osemtnak

Duane sent more photos and a discription of the roofing work he was doing on the cabin..

Duane.....

"Notice the tight fit, the scissor bracing and key lock to tighten the A Frame , 2 X 12 s spaced 2 feet , plus poly sheeting for vapor bearer , 10" fiberglass bats , Not shown, the 1 x 6's nailer's spaced 4 " for the steel roof sheeting . ( Steel weighs 3,600 lbs. )"

This, "LOG HOUSE , " Is built of logs,.... But it is not, a one room Cabin ! That is a comman mistake , made by many.... Just wanted to make that known....Not many Houses in the wilderness...:hammer:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
This, "LOG HOUSE , " Is built of logs,.... But it is not, a one room Cabin ! That is a comman mistake , made by many.... Just wanted to make that known....Not many Houses in the wilderness...:hammer:

Yep, my mistake...:whistling:

It is defiantly a house and a home!:flowers:

But I also know a bunch of people that have log homes they built that call them "Log Cabins" too. Either way, no matter what you prefer to call it, you have a very great place there!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you have joined up here. I am just now part way through your site and it looks great. Nice to meet folks who like to get by on their own with nature. Lots of critters to harvest is a good thing as well. Stay safe and enjoy spring. Bill:flowers:

osemtnak

Glad you have joined up here. I am just now part way through your site and it looks great. Nice to meet folks who like to get by on their own with nature. Lots of critters to harvest is a good thing as well. Stay safe and enjoy spring. Bill:flowers:

Thank You Bill...Spring is near, Fall and spring times are short, We realy just have winter and summers. Come the month of April We have a bunchof stuff to do in FRBX, for that Month. But we'll be back. Take care every one....:smile:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Duane sent me some more photos to post and a discription on how he moved the building logs from the woods to the homesite.

Duane,

Here is a look at my heavy equipment... Well, it is a.. CAT ! .....This was the way I hauled all my logs from, three Miles away ,to build OUR " LOG HOME." All 1,000 House logs.Many were 58 feet long, a longer reach pole was used then.... One at a time, six per day....Plus the lumber logs...- NINE years....Wife peeled every one...I dreamed of going into debt and have a saw mill , Crawler cat, and Crane.... But unlike our Government , We did it within our means...VERY REWARDING .....

Note: the 44 MAG hand gun... Saved my life twice, Grizz's in area...

Attachments

• ose105.jpg
    ose105.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 956
  • ose106.jpg
    ose106.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 892
  • ose107.jpg
    ose107.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 878
  • ose108.jpg
    ose108.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 930

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Funny how the four wheeler has become a main vehicle all over Alaska during the summer and winters...

osemtnak

The 4X4 ATV 's have worked hard for us. I used to just over haul the engines, but found that to be a short fix, so now I am on my third one this spring. I just whear them out, by all the work they do for US..... Living out here is a FULL TIME LIFE STYLE

Others should be so blessed !:hammer:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Duane sent another email about the supply plane landing on the Lake with supplies for a bunch of people in the area.

Part one of two pictures...

Duane...

One mile runway marked with spruce trees. Run way is on Wein Lake Alaska . the ice is 4 feet thick. Full load around 24,000 pounds. Cheaper to haul one big load then a board at a time , Cost of trip about $4,000 or there about. My share was $1,000.00 That covers making the run way and all expenses save the cost of what we bought. Way cheaper then I could have done other wise. Rena and Had a New ATV, King size Bed ,(top of the line), Lumber, and Gasoline way cheaper then a small plane could ever have done it for.IF it could have... Just need to be able to buy a years supply at one time.

Landing on Ice was neat to see , ... Big plane . The plane gave us a salute on his way out,... see the photo.

The fun was hauling on a trail 15 miles for me, by-ya snow machines. But easier the 105 miles through a burned out jungle and very little snow. Took me 3 days to get it packed home, with help. of several. The 105 miles takes me 12 hours to haul one load. So I am glad to have a big plane to wein . Saves me ware and tare on equipment and time.

Living out here full time is cheaper then living in town . We buy Bulk, and grow our own food. No taxes, no home loan, no utilities bills , no car insurance , pay for every thing up front, Solar, wind ,small Gen, big one for tools for more power. .... Its those that live in town and out here on the week ends, that is expensive.( You seen our log home )

We have Air Med insurance incase we need to be brought to a hospital , cost $100.00 per year. We have Dish net and world wide communications, For $60.00 per month, for all net. Free calls to computers , and cheap for calling reg phones. No cell service way out here, Do not need it . Have a hand held C B for that , to phone home , Rena can get me if needed.

Never catch a people germ like you do in town. Haven't been sick in many a year. ( That part I Like )

Attachments

• DC-6 WeinLake 087.JPG
    DC-6 WeinLake 087.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 300
  • DC-6 WeinLake 099.JPG
    DC-6 WeinLake 099.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 301
  • DC-6 WeinLake 097.JPG
    DC-6 WeinLake 097.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 297
  • DC-6 WeinLake 092.JPG
    DC-6 WeinLake 092.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 294
  • DC-6 WeinLake 084.JPG
    DC-6 WeinLake 084.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 301
  • DC-6 WeinLake 081.JPG
    DC-6 WeinLake 081.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 297

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
This it the second set of photos of Duane's supply trip by the Plane.

Attachments

• DC-6 WeinLake 102.JPG
    DC-6 WeinLake 102.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 296
  • DC-6 WeinLake 103.JPG
    DC-6 WeinLake 103.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 301
  • DC-6 WeinLake 109.JPG
    DC-6 WeinLake 109.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 298
  • DC-6 WeinLake 114.JPG
    DC-6 WeinLake 114.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 295
  • DC-6 WeinLake 119.JPG
    DC-6 WeinLake 119.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 302
  • DC-6 WeinLake 121.JPG
    DC-6 WeinLake 121.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 297

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
The Runway they make on the lake is pretty flat, they plow it with a dozer and then drag it to make if 100% flat. Lot of work for a one flight landing/takeoff...

osemtnak

Wrong ! That was the old way doing it by the Bull Dozzer. ... The runway is Blowen clean by a big snow blower truck The biggest truck blower Made. The run way is then dragged by the big steel sled pulled broad side by the Same truck. For finnish. Cat used just for haulling.Fright off the lake.

See any snow banks on the sides ?... No . That is because there is no snow piled up by a dozzer...... It , the snow is blowen way clear and dissapated far to the sides. ( Flat )

Took no time time to blow a one mile runway, and unloading area.

Cutting trees and placeing them, took as long as to blow the strip.

Part of the truck snow blower is owend by me.

Air strip is on the lee end of the lake, not drifted.( North west end).:biggrin:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Wrong ! That was the old way doing it by the Bull Dozzer. ... The runway is Blowen clean by a big snow blower truck The biggest truck blower Made. The run way is then dragged by the big steel sled pulled broad side by the Same truck. For finnish. Cat used just for haulling.Fright off the lake.

See any snow banks on the sides ?... No . That is because there is no snow piled up by a dozzer...... It , the snow is blowen way clear and dissapated far to the sides. ( Flat )

Took no time time to blow a one mile runway, and unloading area.

Cutting trees and placeing them, took as long as to blow the strip.

Part of the truck snow blower is owend by me.

Air strip is on the lee end of the lake, not drifted.( North west end).:biggrin:

My mistake, I knew George had taken the Oshkosh blower out, just forgot that he was now using that instead of the dozer.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK this is just a silly question from someone in the heart of the nation where we have major railways, ports and interstates to haul our goods. Bear in mind that I live in a rural area but I can stop by the local lumber yard in the morning and have a pile of lumber delivered to my driveway a few hours later. In the photos above the load of lumber appears to be delivered to a lake in a central area and its a load for several people? So I realize that your situation is dramatically different and I have to ask...

Given how difficult it is to get raw materials to a remote location, how much does it cost to buy a 2x4 piece of lumber? Or what about a sheet of 1/2" CDX plywood. I realize you'd never buy just 1 but I have to presume the costs for building materials would be amazingly high in the remote areas because of transportation costs.

Also, if you want a load of dimensional lumber or pallet of roofing materials and stack of windows, plus mechanicals . . . to build an entire homestead. how long does it take to get them out to your site and how does it get there? Carried under a helicopter? Hauled up a trail the hard way???

I'd also have to guess that there are a bunch of folks up there with their own portable sawmills to cut their own dimensional lumber???

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
:yum:
OK this is just a silly question from someone in the heart of the nation where we have major railways, ports and interstates to haul our goods. Bear in mind that I live in a rural area but I can stop by the local lumber yard in the morning and have a pile of lumber delivered to my driveway a few hours later. In the photos above the load of lumber appears to be delivered to a lake in a central area and its a load for several people? So I realize that your situation is dramatically different and I have to ask...

Given how difficult it is to get raw materials to a remote location, how much does it cost to buy a 2x4 piece of lumber? Or what about a sheet of 1/2" CDX plywood. I realize you'd never buy just 1 but I have to presume the costs for building materials would be amazingly high in the remote areas because of transportation costs.

Also, if you want a load of dimensional lumber or pallet of roofing materials and stack of windows, plus mechanicals . . . to build an entire homestead. how long does it take to get them out to your site and how does it get there? Carried under a helicopter? Hauled up a trail the hard way???

I'd also have to guess that there are a bunch of folks up there with their own portable sawmills to cut their own dimensional lumber???

Can't speak for anyone but my own work done on my cabin. But with it being only forty miles off the road system, the related costs are an expence that many people don't take into the cost of building in the "Wild". In my case I needed a way to transport the building materials. A new snowmachine that is dependible and can carry/pull a load. Had to build a sled to carry the lumber because nobody sells what I needed. Bought an "Imp" to haul bigger stuff when needed. Bought an old dozer to clear the cabin site and make the runway, and the expense of getting it there.

Once you get those details done, somewhere around $40,000.00+ invested, you can go and buy the building materials which are more than stateside buy about 20% at a guess.

To have a load like Duane has out there, you need a bigger dozer and a/or a large snowblower like the Oshkosh to make the runway for the airplane.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i think at last chect 1/2 inch cdx was about $60.00 a sheet here in nome and at out lumber yard start shipping it out and it goes up from there.

osemtnak

Hello... Some interesting and good Questions.... Not many think that through, before they make the leap into the remote wilderness.

I am one of 64 Fed. Homesteaders in this Lake Minchumina land settlment area , that did think and pre pare for living out here. I am the last one standing, of 64.

I have worn out lots of chain saws and mills sawing my own lumber. No one else, that I know of has a chain saw mill.... Chain saw mill, because it is portable, on site and way cheaper then any other mill.... but ,too I used my Mills harder and more then any other person ever has. So I learned to modafy the chain for faster sawing , and instead of bending over on a log , I made the logs to be waist high. You may see some of this in my web site www.osemountain.com You may have to peel throught the pages, lots there.

I have 4 ways to get material out to me. 1,.. is overland 105 mile trail in march, by snowmachine, ( past Marks,) 2,.. by a float plane to a lake 3 miles from me, 3,.. A by a landing strip like Marks winter or summer,or 4,.. the big stuff and bulk flown to Wein Lake 15 miles to the north also in March. From all those points I use either a snow machine or ATV with sleds and or trailer. ( Snow Mobile ) Time ?.. figure air time 1 to 1-1/2 hours Small or big planes. But for the lumber for the most part I make my own unless I get lazy or rich... I live here full time and it beats living in the city or even on the edge of a road.... Much cheaper too ! But ... One needs to live within ones means. NOT LIKE OUR GOVERNMENT !!! Look up my web. You may find it interesting ..Every day I spean hours anserwing mail

Duane

I could go on and on. Been on TV and a documentry is in the works now too 5 to 7 hour thing to be announced. the Interview can be seen on www.kstp.com " on the road" Feb 21 2010

osemtnak

Wow great pics & storys Fog & Duane , Thanks for sharing . :clap:

Thank You Cowboy..... I nearly was dead in 77 from a bullet in the brain. When I partaly recoverd I moved to the wilderness where I only had Grizzes to fend off ( TWO NOW ARE DEAD ) But lets keep that MuM ! I am injoying life within my means. ... By living It...

Duane :whistling:

osemtnak

i think at last chect 1/2 inch cdx was about $60.00 a sheet here in nome and at out lumber yard start shipping it out and it goes up from there.

1/2 in cdx in fairbanks arround $40.00 Or less. New Box stores in town bring down the prices. Depends on what service means to one. But the dementional, I Mill my self, better then store bought. See my Kitchen all birch . Only the hard ware I bought. Have a complete wood work shop I can build any thing in My basement..... Not a Cabin. 30 X 40 Tri level log house. Took years to build. But we done eer. Funner that way. Not like making play money the GOV does.. Were .FREE and clear...Fed Land no taxes SSHHHHH..... OBOMA may change that....VOTE FOR SARAH.

Thanks Duane

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
$23 in Indiana.

BTW, what does grizzly taste like. I've eaten black bear, but it was years ago and honestly don't recall anything other than it was a bit greasy.

osemtnak

$23 in Indiana.

BTW, what does grizzly taste like. I've eaten black bear, but it was years ago and honestly don't recall anything other than it was a bit greasy.

Tasts like nasty. They are not fussy on what they eat, but I am...Ate four one year, but those were hard times, even moose are not my forta. Give me Black Angus marbled any day. Only weekend worriours like Moose... Now fish is another matter.

I live out here but I order out ounce a month. We eat better then in town , Just not bear or rabbits, and or porqupine. Been there done that.( Supplys ) Bulk and Rena's a excelemt cook can't you tell ? I need to work or get fatter.

Duane

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never had moose.

We have lots of whitetail deer, and they are well fed on Hoosier cornfields so they are actually very tasty. Rabbit is good too. We don't have porquines but we do have SKUNK and there is no way I am going to eat one of those!!!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
here in nome i live in a substance comunity one of the problems we have with the moose population is grizzlys aer running rampid out of state hunters pay 10k plus for a guide and locals don't trophy hunt and nobody wants to eat a grizz they will wine and dine on walurs seals and whale but won't touch grizz i might ad trying some of the above named mammels it is an aquired taste shuld tell you something about the grizz

osemtnak

I've never had moose.

We have lots of whitetail deer, and they are well fed on Hoosier cornfields so they are actually very tasty. Rabbit is good too. We don't have porquines but we do have SKUNK and there is no way I am going to eat one of those!!!

Yes when I lived in Minnesota I too injoyed whitetail deer meat, corn feed.... /// Rabbit,... After 11 in 11 days , no other meat. I damb near starved as there is not a ounce of fat or protein in a rabbit. Again fat is neaded.

Moose , It's the love and lerr of the hunt, to some it's just a habit. . Many just give away the meat to clean out there frezzer, to make room for the new one.And they eat moose meat ounce a week,... maybe. Most moose meat makes it to the poor folks that live in shelters, so in a way thats a good thing. A steady diet of any thing is not good. When our diet was the same-o-sameo day after day, month after month. The first chance of diet , or any thing your stomac has not seen, for many a moon . You will not hold it in your belly long, just long enough for it to pass right through you, if you know what I MEAN.( Moderation and variaty ) Even for a Mountain man.. //...Living by a store has it's advantages. I had to learn the hard way.... Get this... When we are in town to visit or shop, ( Rare ) We are offered Moose Meat ! We eat it to be nice,... but give me Black Angus instead..... So we eat good even out here, but learned early on the meaning of, VARIETY !!! Unless your a week ender.

Duane :wink:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Duane, got the battery and radios back in my plane, will be running it up to Fairbanks for the annual sometime this next week. Let me know when you have solid ground on the runway and maybe I can hop over there for a bit!

Didn't put the skis on this year, wasn't much snow to start with and the Nenana Ski strip is all grass now....