• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

JERICHO ~ anyone else like this show?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I missed the CBS show JERICHO when it first aired, or more accurately I saw parts of a few episodes, but I missed the start and didn't ever really catch up to the series. But now that the show is being re-run on a couple different stations I've been catching as much of it as I can.

This is a great show. In fact it is so good that I wonder how the folks in Hollywood actually wrote it, and wonder why the execs at CBS gave the series a green light. It also came as no surprise that CBS cancelled the show after 1 season, given that this show is all about a post terrorist world where NUKES have taken out many major cities, including Denver. Jericho is a small city about 120 miles east of Denver that is cut off from the rest of the world and the story is all about the struggles to survive without power, without news, without state support. Essentially the town is on its own (like other towns around the nation). The residents fraction into different cliches, most of them helpful to each other, but predictably some groups are nefarious.
Jericho.jpg

The show delves into the good and bad parts of human nature. It explores individual responsibility, consequences for your action, carries a mild pro-gun message in conjunction with a strong message of self-reliance.

While CBS cancelled the show, in the last episode of the first season, when asked to surrender, one of the characters said "NUTS!" Nuts then became the rallying cry for fans of the show. Apparently there was a fan driven event where fans mailed 40,000# of PEANUTS, in small packages, to the executives at CBS. The show was resurrected and I'm not really sure what the status is now??? I know they made at least another 1/2 season of shows, but really don't know if that is the end or if it is continuing.

Anyone else watch this?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
They produced a limited second season (which is already over), and the show has been canceled a second time, this time for good. I really liked the first season (if it has Gerald McRaney in it, it's the first season), but the second season was not so good. While S1 was 99% a survival story, they turned S2 into a political statement, and it was pretty much crap. If they had stuck with the survival aspect, they probably could have gone for 5 or 6 seasons IMHO. Despite the fact that the survival aspects were extremely hollywood glossed over (why was everyone living in their own houses needing fuel and food when there was a perfectly good school with a cafeteria and classrooms that could be turned into apartments?), it was pretty good.

Too bad they had to ruin it in S2 with their thinly veiled references to "the current administration" and Haliburton Corp.

Gatorboy

I have watched every episode since season 1. I loved the show.

I think that shows that require more thinking on the viewer, sometimes fail -- which is why it's probably being cancelled for good now.

I mean how do shows like "Deal or No Deal", "Wife Swap", "Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader" and the like, stay on the air? It must be that the more mindless, the better the execs like them.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I have seen every episode and loved every minute of it. I had a feeling it wouldn't last because it had topics that made you think. As Gator said, nobody wants to think anymore. I enjoy it when a show requires a little thought. I also enjoy LOST. The producers of that show had the insight to put enough eye candy on the screen to keep its ratings up while the nerds like me can watch it for the quality plot.

I mean how do shows like "Deal or No Deal", "Wife Swap", "Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader" and the like, stay on the air?

"Brain or No Brain" as I like to call it!

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Dammit Skurka!! Its all your fault!!

I saw a few episodes on line, and then bought the whole series. I watched it all (limiting myself to a few episodes a night so it would last) and now I'm through the episodes and want more!

I hope they at least make the movie they were talking about....

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dammit Skurka!! Its all your fault!!
Heck I hear that at home, I don't need to come here to hear that too :unsure:

But you have to admit it is a good show. I think season 1 was better than season 2. Basically when they Gerald McRaney left the show I think the story lines/drama went down in quality a bit.

As for the movie, I hear that may actually happen. :clap:

Not unlike my other favorite TV show, FIREFLY. The fanbase of Jericho seems to not want to let the series die. Same thing happened with the Firefly fans, then Universal produced the follow up movie SERENITY to wrap up the series. . . and the Firefly fans are now clamoring for a TRILOGY of movies but there doesn't seem to be any chance of that at this point. Still, from all the rumors floating about, it does seem likely that a Jericho movie is possible. :smile:

benspawpaw

i liked it too, my wife loved it. she likes scifi type shows more than me. i also wonder who comes up with these stupid reality shows as they call them. most are stupid and not real at all. i like more shows with a plot that makes you wonder what will happen next. i send emails to tv execs offten telling them how much i dislike the shows and also to the sponsers. if more people would do this tv would change. thank god for the video store.