• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hyundai Genesis - Your Opinion?

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
What do you guys think of the new Hyundai Genesis? Im shocked that these guys are pumping out such a good looking car!:4_11_9:
HyundaiGenesis_1_560px.jpg

Heres another photo: http://images.automobilemag.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0705_a+2007_hyundai_genesis_concept+01.jpg

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
The link says 'concept', so they aren't pumping them out then, are they? I hate seeing all the cool concepts knowing you can never have one.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I say YUK. Typical oriental styling. Steers like crap, smells like crap, stops like crap, torquey acceleration, oriental ride, yuk. Probably go many many miles with no service, but utilitarian by design. Not for me. I need some class, some acceleration, some brakes, and some peace and quiet.

Check out a 2008 Mercedes C63, or a CLS500. The C63 stops from 80 to 0 in less than 4 seconds. That's without hitting a wall. A little pricey, but what the hay, you only live once!
And a black CLS500 - the bomb.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Check out a 2008 Mercedes C63, or a CLS500. The C63 stops from 80 to 0 in less than 4 seconds. That's without hitting a wall. A little pricey, but what the hay, you only live once!

Expensive and not reliable. Probably rides really stiff too. And you got that 60-0 figure from their commercial.
You will be able to buy the Genesis in Spring 2008. It only cost $30,000 loaded!!! The C63 is $60K!! The CLS550 is $68K!
IF.... you want to compare apples to apples then feast your eyes on the Lexus GS 450h. 0-60 in 5.2 seconds and thats the HYBRID!!!! :yum:
Plus its $10K LESS than your beautiful, cute, sissy CLS550. *evil laugh*
In your face Waybomb!
Lexus_GS_450h_silber_1

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
As far as cars go, it looks like it's pretty stylish. I prefer trucks myself. We recently bought one of the new Hyundai Santa fe's and really like it so far. We'll see hold it holds up to a cold northern ontario winter but so far, so good!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Well Sush

In my face all you want. You've obviously never driven an AMG car for any length of time. I have. In fact, I own 6 Benzes, including a 25 year old diesel with 250,000 on the clock- and going strong, for a total mileage between them all of about 975,000 miles. One of them is esentially a factory race car, with the usual power everything and air conditioning. The cars you are talking about are utilitarian at best. The Lexus is still oriental in every way. They try to copy the Benz or the Beamer style, but lack in personality. As for the commercial - no commercials on AMG cars. It is all real world measurements.

I know, I know, you'll say that Lexus has personality. And it's cheaper, And it's more reliable. Than a Ferrari too. Or any other car that has hand crafted parts, like the engines, suspensions, etc. Or has the first of just about every modern technology on board. It's easy to copy. It's not easy to come up with something original. Is the Lexus deisgned so that in a full frontal collison, the brake pedal moves away from the driver? Does Lexus have a number of teams that go out to major car wrecks and study the failure mode components to make them better, and study occupant injuries to help them better survive a tragedy? I could go on-and-on about it.

You're a celebrity maven. What about the car that Diana was in? Hit a concret post at something like 90 mph. She was too good to wear her seat belt and paid the price. The driver however, had his on and survived (he's the one closest to the collision point). That Lexus would not end up with the same result. The Lexus has nowhere near the percentage of high strength steel in it as a similar Benz model.

And like I said, it simply does not ride, steer, accelerate, stop, etc like a Benz. Don't talk about stuff you know nothing of. Yes, AMG has a taught ride. As it should. If you want mush, drive a Lexus. Or a Caddy. or a standard Benz. A taught ride is not a harsh ride.

A buddy gets a new Lexus every year. He brags about how he has no problems, but I also happen to know how often it is in the dealer. Of course, he'll never complain, because that would mean he made a $60,000 mistake. My used up Benzes have far less trouble than his less-than-one-year-old Lexus. I have yet to see a race prepped Lexus take on anything at Nurbergring. Never will either. Unless they take the body off and put it on a real chasis. I can't stand to be the driver or the passenger in his wonderful Lexus. It is YUK. Not enjoyable to drive at all.

And where did you get your knowledge of reliability? Consumer Reports? That's an honest organization. Let's be clear on reliability. Of course, the reliability of a car with NO options -should- have better reliability than a vehicle that has 25 computers, won't let you skid, won't let loose traction, won't let you hit the garage wall, stops better than all production cars of the same weight, and any of many other safety systems.

Tell me about Toyota quality. Consumer reports glasses over the fact that Toyota's customers had to replace about 100,000 engines due to bad design before Toyota finally stepped up to the plate and started fixing them. At first they blamed the customer, who had to pay. What's that I hear - GM Deja Vu? Total affected engines - in the millions.

I would say that people that buy Benzes love to drive, and people that buy Lexuses like to brag how reliable their copycat car is.

But Sush - get off the car buying thing. You finally got a good paying job. Max out your 401(k) contribution, and then take another 10% and play your own investment game.

YOU DON"T NEED A NEW CAR! Start sockin yer money away. When you start making more on investments than by payroll, then you can go buy some toys, but CASH ONLY!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I know, I know, you'll say that Lexus has personality. And it's cheaper, And it's more reliable. Than a Ferrari too. Or any other car that has hand crafted parts, like the engines, suspensions, etc. Or has the first of just about every modern technology on board. It's easy to copy. It's not easy to come up with something original. Is the Lexus deisgned so that in a full frontal collison, the brake pedal moves away from the driver? Does Lexus have a number of teams that go out to major car wrecks and study the failure mode components to make them better, and study occupant injuries to help them better survive a tragedy? I could go on-and-on about it.

You're a celebrity maven. What about the car that Diana was in? Hit a concret post at something like 90 mph. She was too good to wear her seat belt and paid the price. The driver however, had his on and survived (he's the one closest to the collision point). That Lexus would not end up with the same result. The Lexus has nowhere near the percentage of high strength steel in it as a similar Benz model.

And like I said, it simply does not ride, steer, accelerate, stop, etc like a Benz. Don't talk about stuff you know nothing of.

JD Power AND Consumer Reports both say that Benz and BMW are expensive and the MOST unreliable. They are fun to drive. 5 Years ago I was going to buy a 98 BMW, but the owner and friend of the car dealership talked me out of it saying they are VERY expensive to repair and get used to repairing them. So it seems you are incorrect.

Yes, again, they are fun to drive. Not saying they arent.

Asian cars (not quite 'Oriental' which means East) well, I can only talk about Lexus and Toyota are superior in every way. Well, youre Benz and BMW are supperior at not working properly. Toyota ESPECIALLY for the price is equal to your buddies except the Avalon and Camry which are superior to the 2 you speak of. (not Volvo, they are better) Toyota and Lexus engines are more efficient, are far superior built and just as silky smooth.
Toyota and Lexus NVH are also supperior to Benz and BMW.
And performance is not quite as good as most of your buddies, but sometimes they ARE better.

Dont tell ME what I know and dont. Research before you write.
Look I understand your love of the brands. I dont dismiss it. But your emotion is in charge of your logic. ANd 'yes' I realize that BMWs reliability HAS gone up in the past 2 years. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...st-used-cars-406/used-cars-to-avoid/index.htm
Dont see any Toyota vehicles on there DO ya? :whistle_lips:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>
But Sush - get off the car buying thing. You finally got a good paying job. Max out your 401(k) contribution, and then take another 10% and play your own investment game.

YOU DON"T NEED A NEW CAR! Start sockin yer money away. When you start making more on investments than by payroll, then you can go buy some toys, but CASH ONLY!

Good advice here, Sush.

Gatorboy

Cars are losers -- one of the worst investments (other than a mobile home) you can make. Buy a car that is reliable and gets you from point A to B -- such as a Honda Civic or Corolla.

If you think other people think of you differently because you are driving something high-priced and fancy, think again. It's only in your mind.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
A lady I just hired as a sales rep has a Hyundai something or another sedan. I have to admit that riding with her once last week was the first time I've ever been inside any Hyundai. Other than being a bit of a mess, Type A female personality and two kids with ADD, it seemed nicer than I expected. The ride was a bit "busy". I don't know how else to explain it. It seemed to have different and odd wiggles, but for its weight (you know everything from Korea weighs too much :5boobs:), it seemed to have reasonable power; at the expense of fuel economy.

Hyundai has made no secret that they buy Honda and Toyota vehicles and directly copy them. Even their logo in the center of their grill is a copy of the Honda "H". In recent years their reliability has gone from disastrous to about average. Unfortunately, like most all things from Korea, their resale value is non-existent. I assume that with continued quality improvements, that will change, but several GAP companies (a type of "insurance" they pays the difference between what you owe on the car vs. what your insurance company pays you for the car if it's totaled or stolen (unlikely) and not recovered - you know, when you're "upside-down" in the car) have excluded Hyundai and Kia vehicles from being eligible for their coverage.

Right now, a one year old used Hyundai or Kia (basically the same thing) is considered a pretty good buy. They have lost about half of their value in the first year, but should be a reasonable decent vehicle. That is the way my new employee bought hers; a year old model with 20k miles on it. She will put 40k miles a year on it and throw it away in 3 or 4 years. Personally, in her case, I think it’s a pretty darn good buy. From 20 yards away it looks like a Honda, it should be reasonably reliable, and is comfortable for her to drive.

Right now Honda and, believe it or not, Subaru have caught Toyota. Toyota seems to have been caught asleep at the wheel. They produce admittedly bland vehicles and rely on their reputation of producing reliable vehicles. Unfortunately, their reliability has been slipping lately. Worse yet, in poll after poll, the key age group of buyers from 18-34 pick Honda models 8 to 1 over Toyota models. So, reliability does play a factor, but eye appeal still sells cars. And, for what it’s worth, the domestic manufacturers have begun to address their reliability issues since they didn’t do so well in their “buy American” campaign in the last few years. Customers need a reason to buy American other than simply because the vehicle is from what is considered a domestic manufacturer.

I just returned from a large auto “insider” trade show and they said that Suzuki is poised to make significant gains in the next five years. Suzuki?! Man, I just don’t see that.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
in poll after poll, the key age group of buyers from 18-34 pick Honda models 8 to 1 over Toyota models.
Where is the data? I dont think youre wrong but I cant find SQUAT on Google and thats rare. No demographics at all on vehicle purchases. :idea:

Dont forget that there is Toyota and Lexus BUT....... there is Scion which is red hot. Its made via Toyota. These Asian dudes have it all wrapped up it seems.

Originally Posted by waybomb
<snip>

Good advice here, Sush.

Noooooo. Im not looking to purchase. I have a 03 Camry. Im very very happy with it. Its a I-4. Wish it had more power and a moon roof but then a v6 is extra gas dough.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Where is the data? I dont think youre wrong but I cant find SQUAT on Google and thats rare. No demographics at all on vehicle purchases. :idea:

Um, I'm sort of in the business and hear this data at meetings quite frequently. I'll be at another meeting in a week and a half down in Cancun. (Expect a hurricane to hit there then) This information is from numerous polls taken by independent polling sources and contracted by third party agencies; as to not skew the polling questions nor the expected results. Tens of millions have been spent to gather this data by the manufacturers.

One source that is public information is some of the Consumer Reports Annual Auto issue. Some years they post the results of the desirability of used vehicles from their customer's poll results. In each poll I've ever seen by them, the Honda Civic is always chosen by a large margin over the Toyota Corolla and the Honda Accord is always chosen by a large margin over the Toyota Camry. It's relatively obvious that Toyota has taken these polls seriously. The newer Corollas and Camrys look quite a bit more like their Honda direct competitors than before.

dzalphakilo

Banned
While out looking at cars for my father, I must admit, I was REALLY impressed with the new Honda Accord. Has anyone seen them lately? SHARP looking, at least in my opinion. The Honda sedan puts the Camry to shame, again in my opinion.

Exterior | Interior | Road Tests [+]

2008.honda.accord.20151167-E.jpg

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Sush - you don't get it, do you?

I don't give aflamin hoot what JD Powers, Consumer Reports, Road and Track, or anybody has to say about cars.

I form my opinions from extensive first hand experience. Others read a story and say it must be so, heck, it is in print. You seem to fall into the latter group.

Scion? Jeezuz k h rist - what an ugly POS. I can't wait to see how many of them are still around in 25 years. Where's all the 25 year old Toyotas, Hondas, Datsun/Nissans, etc., BTW? Or even 20 year olds. Heck, 15 year olds? And the ones that are running around have duct tape holding the rutsed body together, bailing wire holding up the muffler, and all with a bloboat lean to them.

You drive your utilitarian car; those that believe gas mileage is primary, then they'll drive a compact; those that want "reliability" will drive whatever is at the top of consumer reports;those that have kids probably need a mini van or a SUV; but those that want to experience driving to its fullest drive a real car.

To put things in terms you might understand, I spend, on average, less than $1,000 pr year maintaning 6 Benzes (year range 1982 to 2001) and rack up at least 70,000 miles per year between my wife, kid, and me. Not counting tires. If you count tires, maybe 1.5 sets a year, or $600, so, $1600 per year. Comes out to about 2 cents per mile. My "fleet" has a MPG average of about 24 mpg. So, at 3 bucks a gallon, another 8 cents per mile. The cars are all depreciated now, and in fact, 5 of them are worth more than I paid, so, zero cents for depreciation. Total operational and ownership costs, not counting insurance, 10 cents per mile. To own 6 really nice cars.

Sorry Sush Dude, my experience is completely contrary to what your beloved reports point to.

But I also agree, a car is not an investment. I am lucky because I can buy a car cash when I find a good one. I've never had to go out and buy one right-now.

The one car that is worth less than I bought it for - well, I bought it new in 1997. Wife wanted it, she's a good woman, so I bought it for her. NEVER BUY A NEW CAR! Not Ever Sush. And pay cash. (I am trying real hard to convince myself to not buy that black/black C63.)

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter

For the life of me, I can not see any styling cues in the above car that will stand the test of time. Not saying it is ugly, but it's just, um, there.

But to each his own!

Probably a great car, with great gas mileage, great warrantee, and minimal repairs.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
It was a 1997 C280 Sport. Last year for the inline 104 engine. Thing sounds sweet on acceleration.

She liked the seats and the carbon fiber trim. That's why she just had to have it. She was tired of the Plymouth Grand Voyager.