• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lots of flower planting this year ...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Over the past several years seems like our flower beds have expanded and many of our flowers have died off :unsure:

So far this year I've put in:
  • 32 Hostas. Switching around some varieties to add a bit more foliage color.
  • 8 Columbines
  • 8 Huchera
  • 8 Poppies (not THAT kind)
  • 9 ferns

And there is space for a lot more to go. I'd like to get the expanded beds to "fill in" and look more like some of our established beds.

Also been tearing out some of the undesirables. Things that have crept in that don't belong like multiflora roses ... I hate those things. With my arthritis I tend to work a bit, take a break, work a bit more, take another break, etc...

But I'm determined that this summer the yard will look good again. Its been pretty lame for the past 3 or 4 years. Many years ago we were asked to allow our property to be featured in a "Garden Walk" and declined. It used to look good. Like I said, been looking a bit ragged, and even a bit bare in some spots. Hopefully not this year!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you are planting hostas. Our deer LOVE them!

Oh so do ours :hammer:

Most of the hosts are going INSIDE the fenced dog area ... we've never had a deer problem inside there.

But a few will be very near the house in areas where we don't have deer problems because they are not in/near natural animal trails. We know where the trails are near the house, yes, hostas WERE feasted upon in those areas.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My body hurts but all the plants are in the ground. Filled in lots of empty areas in the landscaping. Probably could go back and buy more but I want to let these get established and make sure that everything that survived the winter has sprouted before I start to plant more areas.

Got lucky with the weather. Hail and thunderstorms LAST night cleared up. The ground was fairly soft, obviously moist, and the temps were right around 70 with a nice breeze to keep the bright sun from over heating me.

We are supposed to have more rain tonight, tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday so the good Lord will be taking care of these new plantings for me. No need to run out long lengths of hose, at least not until Monday.

Oh, but then there is my sore body. Age + Arthritis = Sucks to be me :cry: