• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spryte headlight fuse size

zspryte

Site Supporter
Trying to find the fuse rating for the headlights on a Spryte. Manual says 10 amps, but that doesn't seem right. For a new 5.75" standard light, one low/high bulb (type H5006) uses 35 watts in either mode. A new high bulb (type H5001) uses 50 watts. With the low beams on the total is 70 watts for the headlights and with the high beams on its 170 watts. The power rating is for 12.8 volts so the low beams draw 5.4 amps and when the high beam are on the draw is 13.28 amps. If everything is right, why am I not blowing the fuse when I put my high beams on?

Do new bulbs draw more amps than the old ones or is it something else? If the high only bulbs used 25 watts, the 10 amp fuse size would make sense.

PJL

Because in high beam mode only one filament is on, not both. It just changes the light pattern, not the power they use.

zspryte

Site Supporter
The are four bulbs in this set up. Two bulbs lite up in low mode and four bulbs lite up in high mode. The low/high bulbs use the same power in either mode. It is the high bulbs lighting up in high mode that draw the extra power.

Probably the simplest way to resolve this is to just measure the each bulbs resistance.

snow

My manual says 15 amp. I have had problems with my headlight fuses, can't find the voltage loss. I am redoing the electrical using relays.