• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need Value On Newly Found TrackMaster

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Hope someone here can guide me in the Right Direction on the possible purchase of a 1961 4t2n Trackmaster. Needs alot of TLC, but does seem to have potential???. Engine does not currently start, will need all boggie tires replaced , interior needs work etc, etc. Iam real interested in cat but do not want to overpay. If somebody can give some input I would really appreciate it. Thanks Wakeupcall Here are a couple pics of her.:smile:

Attachments

• 1961 trackmaster 6.jpg
    1961 trackmaster 6.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 436
  • 1961 trackmaster 3.jpg
    1961 trackmaster 3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 433
  • 1961 trackmaster 2.jpg
    1961 trackmaster 2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 447
  • 1961 trackmaster 5.jpg
    1961 trackmaster 5.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 432

weatherby

I think you would be safe if you could get it for $1000 TO 1500 with out knowing anything else about it, maybe less.

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
I think you would be safe if you could get it for $1000 TO 1500 with out knowing anything else about it, maybe less.
Weatherby, Thank You for the info on pricing of the cat, that will help me in negotiating with current owner. Dont know if you noticed the extended hood or not but was told by owner this was done to seat a couple more guys in the cab. Instead of riding out in the cold, looked like you could squeeze 4 adults in cab. Thanks Again Wakeupcall

weatherby

Weatherby, Thank You for the info on pricing of the cat, that will help me in negotiating with current owner. Dont know if you noticed the extended hood or not but was told by owner this was done to seat a couple more guys in the cab. Instead of riding out in the cold, looked like you could squeeze 4 adults in cab. Thanks Again Wakeupcall

I did notice that, However, I have never seen one like that and was wondering what that was all about. If you ever get a chance to get a pic of that front end, I sure would like to see it:thumb:

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
I did notice that, However, I have never seen one like that and was wondering what that was all about. If you ever get a chance to get a pic of that front end, I sure would like to see it:thumb:
Weatherby, Here is the only picture I have of the " Nose" on this sno-cat kinda cool looking and seemed to be well built at least what I seen of it.:smile:

Attachments

• js640_1961_trackmaster.jpg
    js640_1961_trackmaster.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 407

weatherby

Weatherby, Here is the only picture I have of the " Nose" on this sno-cat kinda cool looking and seemed to be well built at least what I seen of it.:smile:

WOW.....That's a first for me having ever seeing one of those. For a bit, I thought it was somebody's homemade idea, but the more I look, it looks factory. That must be what the N in 4t2n must represent. And I thought I've seen them all:confused2:

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
WOW.....That's a first for me having ever seeing one of those. For a bit, I thought it was somebody's homemade idea, but the more I look, it looks factory. That must be what the N in 4t2n must represent. And I thought I've seen them all:confused2:
Weatherby, From what I have read the "N" stands for narrow and the "W" stands for wide I beleive I seen this on the forums not sure now? And from what the owner says It is homemade by the mantenance crew of the ski area that owned from the day it was new. They did do a good job as you can see the bend marks on bottom edge of hood where it closes over the edge of top frame. One of a kind possibly!!

weatherby

Weatherby, From what I have read the "N" stands for narrow and the "W" stands for wide I beleive I seen this on the forums not sure now? And from what the owner says It is homemade by the mantenance crew of the ski area that owned from the day it was new. They did do a good job as you can see the bend marks on bottom edge of hood where it closes over the edge of top frame. One of a kind possibly!!

Ok...That makes sense, "but" I just can't believe somebody would go through all that work moving the engine forward, lengthen drive shafts, and all the other stuff you would have to do to move the engine forward just to gain a seat. However, I haven't ever heard of a 4t2(N)

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
This is indeed an interesting creature... I've never seen one before either. When I saw the edges of the hood... I thought WHAT? a 4T2VL? :unsure: WHAT? Then the rest came out...

...and you can see they moved the tank from the normal position just behind the engine compartment to the rear deck ... for the extra butts in seat I guess. It would be a bit tight to get 4 in there but 3 would seat comfortably.
I'd be curious if they left the power divider and transmission where original? You should at least get pics of this thing in detail if you don't buy it... and if you don't buy it... well... maybe you can pass on some phone digits to 'us'. :wink:

Cab looks in reasonable condition. 4T2's aren't too common and nice condition units are a bit on the rare side. The subsequent version being the 603 is even more rare in fact.

I've heard of folks sliding the engine forward a few inches to accomodate an auto trany but never to accomodate more buts... yet it seems per the discussion with the seller that it's the case. Interesting. I think they really wanted a 2100 snout on the front. ;)

Weahterby hit the value spot on. Who knows what could be wrong the with engine or power divider or ????

If it were running and turning fine then a normal 4T2 would be in the $7K range ... +- depending on condition.

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Mainer, Thanks for the input. The current owner had this cat running about 5 years ago which included cleaning up of power divider, replacing 1 rear axle on rear end ,twisted off from possibly track frozen to ground.The engine has had the head rebuilt and the pistons rerung may have low compression on one cylinder. Would be nice just to hear it run but may take more involved mechanicing than seller may want on premises. Seller was firm on price but I may go ahead and make him a offer anyway as I seemed to have some sort of draw to this particular cat. Thanks Wakeupcall:smile: Also I do beleive that the power divider was not changed,the only modification was to the engine and tranny placement with a longer driveline to power divider, did not realize fuel tank original local was inside cab! It may not be bad in bed for space issues and smell.

darryl

I would love to have a chance at getting a 4t2 with a cab in that nice of shape.If I where you I would buy it and pull out the sawsall and rid of that shit on the front.With a couple of cuts you could probley double the value of that machine.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
To me its lost allot of value since it was hacked up (none factory). $1,000 to $1,500 if its running. If not then $500 to $1,000 or so. BUT having said that how much is it worth to you? I too would fork a little extra more than what its worth since I like The 4Ts and 601s. I would restore her to how she was before. But I wouldnt go over $1800 or so.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Tires will run you $600 for all of them. Tubes will be an extra $130. (Not including shipping for tires and tubes) Bearings from what I hear are hard to get but not impossible. I need some as well so when I find out how much I will let you know. I was able to get all the tune up parts for my 223 Ford inline 6 at my local very remote parts store. So the basic parts seem easy to find. The exhaust manifold is hard to find. Ask Weatherby about that.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
To me its lost allot of value since it was hacked up (none factory). $1,000 to $1,500 if its running. If not then $500 to $1,000 or so. BUT having said that how much is it worth to you? I too would fork a little extra more than what its worth since I like The 4Ts and 601s. I would restore her to how she was before. But I wouldnt go over $1800 or so.

ok, ok, I know that your 4T10 was more extreme than a diamond in the rough... more like a 10 carat diamond found in a lump of dirt in which coal was found... so yea... that thing was a song and has proven to crank right up.

I've NEVER seen a 4T2 or 4T anything go for what you're saying unless you find a farmer with the thing sitting in his field/barn... I've seen several T2's go for between $5-6K when they are barely running...BARELY...lots of wear, etc... no, not purchased by yours truly.

Now, I do hope such a deal could be found but I wouldn't set expectations based on that four leaf clover you found your 4T10 under ops! :smile:

General rule of thumb is if the rig is running, turning and cranking around the yard just fine then it's worth $5K...regardless of brand, etc... Some dude in Brainerd came up with that and it really pretty much holds true with exceptions (which he more often than not does happen to dig up... something just aren't right in the world). :yum::flowers:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I would love to have a chance at getting a 4t2 with a cab in that nice of shape.If I where you I would buy it and pull out the sawsall and rid of that shit on the front.With a couple of cuts you could probley double the value of that machine.

Totally agree about the value... and tempting to whack/cut/chop away to get rid of the 'tumor'...

But, boy, that would be an interesting thing to have sitting on a shelf...as it is. Sort of like a mad scientist's lab with various creatures pickled in jars. :w00t2: