• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Being nudged into buying a pool

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Help me out here guys.
I need to know all the upsides and downsides of what I might be agreeing to.

We have grandkids. Wife and grandkids would love a pool. I might like one, not sure.
I've priced inground and to do it right would be 50k. Not interested in that kind of investment. I might go above ground. If we tire of it they are easy to tear down and get rid of. Plant some grass and it's gone and forgotten.

Plus above ground pools are mucho cheaper starting out.

What is hidden in all this that I need to know about before spending any cash?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you have well water or city water? The chemistry can hard to control sometimes with well water. Be ready to clean it at nights when you get home. Here we have to surround it with a fence or have fold up steps that are lockable. It's considered an attractive nuisance.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What is hidden in all this that I need to know about before spending any cash?
Time and maintenance.

Dig a pond. The kids get wet but no expectations of chemicals or worrying about leaves that need pulled out. :)

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
put that pool in my non-existant yard~

seriously, tho; my Dad was a pool-installation guy well before i was born, 'cept we weren't to get one, as he said they lower property value.~ no pool 4 us

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you have well water or city water? The chemistry can hard to control sometimes with well water. Be ready to clean it at nights when you get home. Here we have to surround it with a fence or have fold up steps that are lockable. It's considered an attractive nuisance.

Diddo that. We had major issues till we ran the water through the house water softener. And even then it was a lot of work testing the water and adding chemicals to keep it clear.

I was not cut out for the task, I discovered after a few summers.

Your milage may differ.

Regards, Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks all. We are on city water. I've seen quite a few brands. The good ones seem to have resin for the bottom parts to inhibit rusting. Round is cheaper and better for equal pressure all the way around. Oval is better for volleyball and sports in the pool, but higher pressure on the corners can cause issues.
I have not seen a kayak pool I will search for them.

A friend in St. Petersburg put in a nice inground pool last year. 36x18 for 60k With additions that he added on he was over 75k before it was all over.

I've seen a couple places today, one local, one online, that will sell a 33ft above ground 54" deep for $4400. $1500 for installation. Another 2k for a deck around part of it (with a lockable gate. Compared to 55 or 60k for an inground this seems the obvious way to go IF we decide to go for it. The inground is simply out of our price range so that helps make that part of the decision easy.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Had a 40,000 gallon pool when in California. In the foothills of the desert. Lost about 2" a day in the summer. "But it's a dry heat", right? Water evaporates like crazy.

In Ca, they put the air conditioners on the roof. Had two. I am scared to death of heights, figured they needed cleaning, had it done. Well it doesn't rain much in the desert so no gutters. The dirt and scum and chemical he used ran off the roof, unto the patio, and then into the pool. It took about 2 weeks of battling black algae, green algae, yellow algae, who knows what else, until we finally drained the damn thing, scrubbed the walls clean, and started all over.

Nice to have, but the chemistry goes haywire, it really sucks.

And, it was a chlorine treated pool. I changed over to a Nature2 Silver Iodide set up. A puck of chlorine in a floater and that was it. No stinging eyes, etc. Very nice set-up.

oh, and because of the evaporation, I hooked up an auto fill setup - a non contact sensor, an ASCO valve, a cheap controller - water filled itself.

Ya, I am basically lazy.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've had inground pools for over 30-years and still do and all I can say is that they are work, work, work and expense, expense, expense. I swear that every blade of grass when you mow and every leaf that falls end up in the darned thing. Everything associated with a pool cost 5 or 10 times what it should. It's just a fact of life.

About 5 years ago we came back from a two week trip to find that the motor had quit and the pool had turned in to a green slime hole. I spent weeks and tons of bucks for chemicals trying to retrieve it but couldn't. I eventually called in some professional help and he got it on the second try. Since he also has a pool servicing business I have him come round once a week, summer and winter, and look after the darned thing. Live is much simpler now.

I should also say that I looked in to having it filled in but but that was almost $30K. Besides my wife wouldn't let me do it. She loves it ... for the 4 or 5 times a year that she actually uses it but she doesn't do any of the darned work.

My advice ... go with the above ground. That way when the novelty wears off and the grandkids have grown it can simply disappear and I bet no one will notice for weeks.

Now, I need to tell you about the hot tub!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Two suggestions Doc. Before spending the money,
1. talk to your insurance agent
2. talk to your Realtor.
Bob

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
You already have a boat:

"A hole in the water you pour money into."

Now you want a pool:

"A hole in the ground filled with water that you pour money into."

Any questions?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't do it .................... I guarantee you'll hate it by the end of it's second season!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So far I have bypassed this project and it appears to be forgotten about. Hope it stays that way. Thanks All!!!!!!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Two suggestions before putting in a pool, from someone who knows.

1. Talk to a therapist.
2. Talk to a therapist.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Buy pool passes to the nearest neighborhood pool. Much cheaper and less headaches

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Would you use it enough to justify it?
Here in Phoenix people love them. Can use them most of the year.
Lots & lots of work from what I hear.
Depending on where you live you might need to change fencing, gates. That kind of thing.
I've never had one at my house. Glad I don't now that I have the seizures.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do believe I've dodged that bullet for now. Not going to bring it up again. But to answer your question about how much of the year we can use it ...4 months is all. We are in Ohio. It rains a good bit of the 4 months. We have a river to swim in. We don't need no stinking pool ....unless she says we do. :yum: just kidding. We don't need a pool.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Would you use it enough to justify it?
Here in Phoenix people love them. Can use them most of the year.
Lots & lots of work from what I hear.
Depending on where you live you might need to change fencing, gates. That kind of thing.
I've never had one at my house. Glad I don't now that I have the seizures.
You jogged my memory by reminding us about the dangers of pools and water etc when you have epilepsy. I went to high school with a girl who had epilepsy. Back in 2003 she would have been only 24. She was having a bath when she had a seizure and ended up drowning in the bathwater.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk