• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is this "Painting Season" at your house too?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last week I helped paint the pantry room and some trim at our friend's home. A few days before that I primed one of our bathrooms for paint.

Yesterday I painted the bathroom that I had previously primed. It had to be primed before painting because it had a couple burgandy colored walls, now its all a medium green. That paint will go nicely with the wallpaper that the lovely Mrs_Bob picked out here => http://www.bradbury.com/hsw_900_ruby.html#.VPMYWoZOKrU

The powder room is already for its new paint, but I have not gotten to that room yet. Its only partially "taped" with a lovely mixture of green Frog Tape and blue 3M painters tape . . . I suggested we leave it like that but then I got "the LOOK" :hammer:

And then there is the mudroom . . .

And then there is the kitchen & dinette . . .

Only the mudroom will be paintd alone. The other rooms are getting some sort of wallpaper border along the ceiling . . . some will get new crown moulding, additional wood trim, etc. etc. etc.

I think my wife needs a job to occupy her time because she is doing a heck of a job keeping me busy :doh:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not me! I made it known to the Mrs. early in our marriage that I hate painting and if she wants something painted, I'll prep her but she has to do the actual painting.

Our house is 24 years old. We did some makeover along the way but around the 20-year mark, we wrapped up everything. Painting, new furnace, roof, skylights, flooring/carpeting...

I do need my buildings re-painted. May ask Mrs. BCZ and the kids to do that this summer.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Nope. On the docket for this season is a new septic system. The design has been completed and as soon as the snow is gone in April or May we start the parade of contractors to find the lowest bid.

Going to be a ton of money invested under the grass this year.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep! Painting & updating at the JEV house continues this Winter, with moving the painting projects upstairs. Started the master bedroom this past week with buying three new prehung 2-panel doors, new baseboards & casings. Instead of taping carpeting & walls, then priming & 2 finish coats on all the woodwork as well as buying new slabs & hinges, then mortising & boring to match the existing jambs and painting them, I opted to tear all the existing stuff out in and install all new. This way everything comes primed, and I can do all the painting in the basement without having the bedroom as a construction zone for several days. I can have everything torn out and install the new in less than one day.

It's good I chose this route, because work is finally starting to come in, and I have a small kitchen to paint this week for one customer, and day of miscellaneous jobs for another, which includes replacing baseboards that I have to buy, prime & paint here before taking there to install. She-who-must-be-obeyed is also glad that our bedroom will only be trashed for one day.

Attachments

• IMG_3199.jpg
    IMG_3199.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 22

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
JEV, I feel for you with painting doors and trim. I was at my God Son's house yesterday, helping his parents paint doors and trim. They have all varnished pine, so it had to be sanded and now painted. I hate painting over nice wood, even pine. But they are intent on 'modernizing' their house and painted trim is their choice.

Me, I'd pull out the mitresaw and add more wood, but its all just a personal choice.

Oh wait, in addition to the painting we are doing in our own house, the lovely Mrs_Bob has me lined up for more woodwork too. Some is probably beyond my scope and will require a "real" finish carpenter with some serious skills to complete. But we will see how far she pushes the issue, she is going off to England in April to help my sister with her new baby so my guess is the project push will be ending about as fast as the trip packing starts.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Where is the "Husband Handbook" does it say that I am supposed to paint the house at the whim of the wife? This week, 2 bathrooms + mudroom. But now I get to rest and watch the WAKE FOREST vs DUKE basketball game and drink some GEORGE STAGG bourbon. And you know the bourbon is a high proof bourbon when the ice cube does NOT float :ermm:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 12