• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Table saw question

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 1 HP (I think) 10" craftsman table saw. I have been using it a lot lately and I cut thick hard wood. 8/4 Purple heart 8/4 Had maple and several other 4/4 hardwoods.

A few days ago, it started screaming like a banchee. Yesterday I noticed it starting up slowly. Eventually later in the evening, it stopped altogether. It pops the breaker when it trys to start. I took the belt off and started the motor. It runs, but, it still makes s similar although quieter screaming sound. The blade spins freely and the bearings do not seem noisy. I am pretty sure the motor is bad.

A new motor is $325. I am thinking the motor is too small for the wood that I am cutting. Cos is definitely a factor. Has anyone ever had a motor repaired? Is it worth it?

Any other comments would be helpful.

Thank You

Andy

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
1. is it plugged direct into an outlet?
2. a good reman shop should be able to fix it fairly reasonable.
3. If they are over 1/2 horse it is usually cheaper to reman
I had my hot tub motor done back in 98 and it is still running.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with Bill, have the motor rebuilt . It's cheaper than going for a new motor . And,not to step on your toes, but check the condition of your saw blades. They may need attention depending on how old they are.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
IMOL an older one horse motor is a little small for cutting 8/4 hardwoods. However, if it was not slowing down with the cut before breaking down, chances are you have a bad bearing. Should not be much of a problem to fix.

I have also found that the blade makes a world of difference. Are you using a high quality blade designed for the job you are doing?

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you all.

The blade is a Forrest Woodworker 2. Pretty good blade.

It is nearly ready to sharpen, but, still cuts cleanly.

Last night, I was only cutting 4/4 Purpleheart. It is pretty hard though. Now it will not power up at all.

Bearing seems right, although, the motor spins freely and takes 30 seconds or so to spin down.

I have a line on a 3 HP Craftsman to look at for $150.00. I understand that Craftsman overrates their motors. Still, it is rated at double my saw and "may" be a 220 single phase motor which would have more torque.

If reasonable, I would either keep both or fix mine and resell it. I agree, I am not putting $300 + into a new motor. I have found a delta Unisaw for $600 locally on Craigs list. I can't do it right now. It just goes to show that there are deals to be had.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Andy, moved this thread to the DIY Tools forum. I did leave an expiring redirect for you in the open forum.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
You do not need to buy a motor from sears.
All motors are standardized, using NEMA frame sizes.

I think I have the same saw. Your frame is probably a 56 TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled)
110vac
1ph
3450 rpm.

ANY motor with the same NEMA info will be a match.

You can find brand new for under 100 bucks on ebay.

A 3 hp 110vac 1ph motor would require huge wiring and devices. A 1hp motor pulls 16amp at full load. A 3hp would draw 34 amps!!!

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you everyone.

I took the motor to a local motor repair shop. They fixed it on the spot. It needed bearings and a start capacitor. I learned that I can wire it for 220 V which would be better.

Back in service. Thank you all again.

Andy