• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5 Operators Manual + Parts Manual SW-64F

uppercanada

I just picked up a "J-5F & SW-64F" parts manual (1974, approx 50 pages) and a "J-5,J-5T,J-5TS Operators manual" 1971 56 pages

The operators manual has good pics and info on everything, even has differential troubleshooting and track/wheel repair. It also details the differences between j5,j5t,j5ts. The J5TS looks like the most advanced and heavy duty of all J5 machines.

I mention this here as the guy I got these books from has an additional 2 sets still for sale at $25. I was thinking of scanning them for internet viewing if there is demand and I can find the time.

Some random pics from the books:

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would think there would be demand for those if you can find the time to scan them!

bigmac

Is there a section in the manual that gives the weight of a J5F , building a trailer to move mine around and need a gross weight for registration. BIGMAC

bigmac

no pictures yet, I'll have to get one of the kids to put them on, we picked this thing up last fall as a pile of parts , lots of welding , engine taken apart, cooling problems all the little stuff you wind up with when something is 40 or 50 years old, now it runs like a top, and will go just about anywhere and still looks like a pile of junk , need a few peices of sheet metal for the engine house , some guages , lights , etc. and a paint job , should be ready for the fall and moose hunting season , are you sure about the 4000 lbs , it's rugged but I didn't expect it was that rugged

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Having all your engine cover parts in place is important for the cooling to work since the fan is simply moving the air thru the engine area and not blowing it directly on the radiator.

Early, light body J5s probably weighed 3500. That's with the 16? guage tub. More modern (80s &90s ) weigh more like 5000. Air tires weigh less than solid tires.

I'm glad to hear it's all together !! Looking forward to pics :smile:

bigmac

cooling problem turned out to be a few blocked ports in the head plus the valve cooling tube inside the head was blocked off so #5 and 6 were getting no circulation , add a bit of mouse nest and bones from the water pump hose ( should have checked ) and some rust ---------- not enough movement through the cooling system , we had the engine house all closed in with a few peices of sheet metal and the air flow was fully through the rad but new stuff made to fit will work better , the clutch and throttle peddles and rods were a challange especially around the drive shaft cover we made

bigmac

guess I should have told you the engine is the dodge flat head, lots of parts available and before the experts get on my back the valve cooling tube is in the block not the head , sometimes gray hair is good -------- gives an excuse for mistakes

IMP

Site Supporter
Welder wayde send me your email if you want me to email you my J5 shop manual.

UpperCanada, I would be interested in those nice glossy manuals if you get then scanned in. I have the owners and shop J5 manuals. Just let me know.

bignickel31

Hi Guys my Uncle just bought an old J5 and asked me to see if I could find him a service manual from the internet, we got his running, we upgraded his ignition system to an hei out of a 6 cyl chev engine (with a little modification). If someone could email me a service manual I would really appreciate it, my email is bignickel31@msn.com. we are in Sudbury On.

KenM

I just bought a 1973 J5. I'd really appreciate any information about where I could purchase a manual for it.

shomis

Hello uppercanada
New to this forum... and I see that this post is from a few years back... wondering if you still have available j5 manual... if so. How would I get a copy ...
REGARDS

benmfr

HI, i just bougth a old J5 and I want to restore it. If somebody have workshop manual or user manual or parts manual, I can buy it. Here somes pictures of the project! I don't know what is the year of the J5, cannot find the serial number! If somebody can help me, it will be appreciate!

Attachments

• DSCF3916.jpg
    DSCF3916.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2,976
  • DSCF3862.jpg
    DSCF3862.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,983
  • DSCF3917.jpg
    DSCF3917.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 2,991
  • DSCF3885.jpg
    DSCF3885.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2,966
  • DSCF3854.jpg
    DSCF3854.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 2,974
  • DSCF3864.jpg
    DSCF3864.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 2,956

aaron89

Hi I also just recently bought a j5. Looking for a online manual or if someone can send me a copy of one. Thanks

i had an SW54(similar to J5. 54" wide, 14.5" tracks) bought a new rad for a late 60s chyrsler car and mounted it back of fan for more positive cooling+ made new lower engine box for better view. the tracks on the machine in pics seem too narrow(should be almost 17" wide + guides on all "crosslinks")

Attachments

• old computer files 618.jpg
    old computer files 618.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 2,481

Rick M

I just picked up a "J-5F & SW-64F" parts manual (1974, approx 50 pages) and a "J-5,J-5T,J-5TS Operators manual" 1971 56 pages

The operators manual has good pics and info on everything, even has differential troubleshooting and track/wheel repair. It also details the differences between j5,j5t,j5ts. The J5TS looks like the most advanced and heavy duty of all J5 machines.

I mention this here as the guy I got these books from has an additional 2 sets still for sale at $25. I was thinking of scanning them for internet viewing if there is demand and I can find the time.

Some random pics from the books:

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg
Yes, please I am desperate for operator and service Manuel's! Please advise on how to obtain. Rick M

IMP

Site Supporter
I have a J5 shop and owners manual I can email you just PM me an email to send it. You sound like a J5 owner in distress and I'm here to help!

lorner

I have a J5 shop and owners manual I can email you just PM me an email to send it. You sound like a J5 owner in distress and I'm here to help!

hi imp. wondering if you are still willing to email an owners and shop manual out for a j5? thx

Pdinc

Greetings
I purchased a 1968 partially restored
The unit also has trailer minus the boom lift.
Seeking manuals and does anyone know how to hook up trailer and properly detach from the j5.