• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ISO rear axle for a Tucker 1642

FastEddie

I'm working on a Tucker that has a broken axle tube. Looking for a complete axle assembly or best way to get it repaired.
60238d1097ec467e6461575013c3f6d1.jpg
d03cfaff3cbb9286026a0a3d17e05994.jpg
c254b725ca169d879272cb2ac3cce342.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
call the FACTORY, ask for Clyde,

you know they do restorations of the older machines, they are a quick one stop source....

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You may be able to sleeve the inside of the tube, time the spring perches, plug weld and then weld OD. Check for inner axle clearance first. When welding, cleanliness is next to godliness.

Best bet is to follow PP advice, go to factory Clyde. 541-779-3731.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That setup either has the web design like my 1443 or a full journal welded on the carrier like the newer heavier design. Look at Rob Millers 542 thread and my 1443 thread for an idea of what is on there.

Trying to find a rear end with either of these configurations that are not worn might be a challenge. There is a retrofit kit from Tucker to convert to uhmw sleeves but when I priced and someone else did it was 1500-2000$ per side so x4.

Looking at the pic I think you could weld it then cap weld. There is plenty of room inside the axle housing for welding if you could reach it. There is plenty of room outside next to the web/journal before you get close to the carrier.

I also think there is enough space to slide in a piece of tube inside the carrier as a backer strengthener. Will need to turn it to fit.

If I had to guess i think you will find a full journal the with of be carrier. Pull the carrier off, pull the axle out, heat and bend it true. Weld away and right to the journal.

This repair will be easier than the carrier wear you may find upon disassembly.

How did it break? Under sno object at speed ?

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
FastEddie,

My snowcat buddy and I worked on that machine extensively. Among other things we "re-cabbed" it, converting it from a two door machine to it's present three door configuration.

My snowcat buddy is a certified welder, and in my opinion, a mechanical genius. He and I looked at this thread, and the various photos, and discussed the broken axle tube situation.

If you bring it to SLC and drop the machine off - we'll fix it. We'll take care of the labor, but you would have to pay for any parts required. Our schedules are such that the machine will likely have to be here for a month or two before you can pick it up.

Other than the hassle of dropping it off and picking it up, I believe this would be the most cost-effective solution for you.

The Sweet Wbj1

FastEddie,

My snowcat buddy and I worked on that machine extensively. Among other things we "re-cabbed" it, converting it from a two door machine to it's present three door configuration.

My snowcat buddy is a certified welder, and in my opinion, a mechanical genius. He and I looked at this thread, and the various photos, and discussed the broken axle tube situation.

If you bring it to SLC and drop the machine off - we'll fix it. We'll take care of the labor, but you would have to pay for any parts required. Our schedules are such that the machine will likely have to be here for a month or two before you can pick it up.

Other than the hassle of dropping it off and picking it up, I believe this would be the most cost-effective solution for you.

Wow! How often do you get an offer like that! Good to know there are good folks left out there.