• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ohio Energy Choice Program

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
For everyone here living in Ohio with natural gas service, it's time to look at changing your rate plans for the next year. I received a letter from Dominion East Ohio stating they were REDUCING my gas supply cost from $4.69/mcf to $4.59 for the next year, guaranteed from November 2015 until February 2016. While that looked fine, the cost then would be subject to market swings on a month-to-month basis after that...no deal there. I went to the Ohio Energy Choice website to see what the rates looked like, and found that I could lock in at $3.97 FIXED for the next 12 months, and without any early termination fee if I found a better rate. Now, I could have signed up for this right from the website, but I decided to call Dominion Energy Solution directly to make the change. Good thing, because the rep offered me a FIXED RATE of $3.75/mcf for a 12-24 month period, with NO EARLY TERMINATION FEE if I found a better rate within that time frame. That is a 20% reduction of the cost of fuel for me. Your savings may vary based on your current supplier & price. This was a no-brainer, so I took the 24 month plan and they will be emailing me the confirmation, and the new rate will go into effect at the next billing cycle. You can call Dominion Energy Solutions directly at 800-990-4090 to see what sort of offer you can receive. If you are not serviced by Dominion East Ohio, go to the website to compare rates from suppliers working with your natural gas distributor. Be sure to check to see if there is an early termination fee if you find a better rate down the road, as this could be as much as $100 or more to make changes to your contract, and make sure you're not getting into a variable, month-to-month contract which could cost you dearly if the market prices go up. There are very low introductory rates to lure in the unsuspecting, but the smart shopper will go after a rate that is locked in with no additional fees. The website is: http://www.energychoice.ohio.gov/ApplesToApplesCategory.aspx?Category=NaturalGas

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
WOW! someone in Ohio is making a lot of money, thats a BIG price swing for the same product.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW! someone in Ohio is making a lot of money, thats a BIG price swing for the same product.
You can see the same price swings on eBay and Amazon dot com for the identical item. There are a lot of people who don't even know that they have a choice for energy suppliers in Ohio, both natural gas and electricity. Throw enough shit against the wall, and some of it is going to stick, and someone makes a killing.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
just looked at my bill and I am charged .877 per therm . I couldn't find a mcf.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
LP I use is cheaper I think. We purchase it by the gallon. I bought 8,000 gallons this morning. ($.90/gallon) Not just to heat with, but to dry corn as well. Most of it is for drying corn.....

Regards, Kirk

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
just looked at my bill and I am charged .877 per therm . I couldn't find a mcf.
What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?

C—equals one hundred (100)
Ccf—equals the volume of 100 cubic feet (cf) of natural gas
M—equals one thousand (1,000)
MM—equals one million (1,000,000)
Mcf—equals the volume of 1,000 cubic feet (cf) of natural gas
MMBtu—equals 1,000,000 British thermal units (Btu) (One Btu is the heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.)
Therm—One therm equals 100,000 Btu, or 0.10 MMBtu
In 2014 the average heat content of natural gas for the residential, commercial, and industrial sectors was about 1,028 Btu per cf; one Ccf = 102,800 Btu or 1.028 therms; one Mcf = 1.028 MMBtu or 10.28 therms.
You can convert prices from one basis to another:
$ per Ccf divided by 1.028 = $ per therm
$ per therm multiplied by 1.028 = $ per Ccf
$ per Mcf divided by 1.028 = $ per MMBtu
$ per Mcf divided by 10.28 = $ per therm
$ per MMBtu multiplied by 1.028 = $ per Mcf
$ per therm multiplied by 10.28 = $ per Mcf
Source: http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=45&t=8

In your case it would be .877 x 10.28 = $9.015 per mcf (1,000 cu. ft.)

That's outrageous, and is 2.4X more than I pay in Ohio. Talk about getting rich off the consumer....sheesh!

See where your state ranks overall in energy costs.

http://wallethub.com/edu/most-least-energy-expensive-states/4833/

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not a bad price for gas delivered to your home considering it's trading at $3/mcf on average. They know it isn't going above $4 for a long time. A lot of Marcellus wells are fixin to go into full production as soon as the pipelines and infrastructure is completed to move the expected high volume those wells can produce.

The companies are hoping they can get stabilization when they can get gas to liquefaction plants for transport and export sale. Get it now because the price is gonna stabilize at a higher rate when they start carting it off overseas.

I have mixed feelings about it all ......... I have a well on my property and get free gas plus some royalty. I have no skin in the game but you can bet the gas companies are figuring out a way to eventually get the price up and overseas demand it going to be the reason!