Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Rants and Raves Forum

Rants and Raves Forum Rant on! Rave on!

Old 05-27-2016, 01:48 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,349 Times in 553 Posts
jimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Throwing away Food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexFrank View Post
This is a continuing problem at our house. We're both 68-years old and really don't eat that much anymore. Added to that is the fact that my wife is a great cook but never has learned to cook for two people. If you want someone to cook for 50 or a 100 or more, which she does quite often, she's your girl.

Compounding the problem is the fact that we have so many freezers and fridge/freezers (3 of each). It's a nightmare rotating stuff in and out of them. And .... during a power outage of any length, I have to dedicate one generator to do nothing else but keep them all working. I so need a whole house generator but every time I get ready to bite the bullet, something else happens. Ah well!!!!! (sigh)
I cook most often for one, and being a Costco fan, I more often buy for 10. I also tend to cook in large quantities and freeze.

I found a solution. Every 6 weeks or so I stop buying food. Meals created only from what's on hand.

The last few days the cooking can get creative, but the freezer gets emptied.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
FrancSevin (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 4,456 Times in 1,690 Posts
FrancSevin has a spectacular aura aboutFrancSevin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I cook most often for one, and being a Costco fan, I more often buy for 10. I also tend to cook in large quantities and freeze.

I found a solution. Every 6 weeks or so I stop buying food. Meals created only from what's on hand.

The last few days the cooking can get creative, but the freezer gets emptied.
I like it!

I enjoy going to the pantry where nothing seems to be there for a normal mean combo, and still coming up with something. I came home one night too tired to go shopping. I found the dried heel of a smoked ham(about four ounces of leftover fatty Easter meat), instant mashed potatoes, some small shriveled red potatoes, and a can of slice carrots abandoned for years in the pantry. About two inches of celery in the crisper. Made an excellent cream of potatoe soup.

Great recipe and I make in now on purpose.

Last edited by FrancSevin; 05-27-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:47 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,145 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Oh Lord, at times I hate my wife!!!! She can't resist a bargain!!!!

Our local grocery store had a "teaser" sale on brisket the other day, buy one and get one free or something like that. She came home with 6 briskets, we're talking 70 lbs of meat. Now I'm going to have to fire up the smoker, spend all day smoking brisket, spend more hours slicing it, packing it vacuum bags and freezing it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I love doing it and the though of having some of the best brisket that you have ever tasted in the freezer, ready to eat when when you want it ... priceless!!!!

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
The Following User Says Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
FrancSevin (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Diesel Truck Fan

Adillo303 is on a distinguished road

I too am older (71) my wife is 67. I do all the cooking and I do abhor waste. Until a few months ago, I had two labs. Every time I prepped veggies, they saw that the trimmings did not go to waste. I miss them for way more than that, but, throwing trimmings away just seems to be a waste.

I have tried two remedies for cooking too much. first one is to portion the leftovers out into one serving meals that can be put into the fridge if I don't feel like cooking or one of us wants a snack. I also put pieces of meat in snack bags for "Snack Meat". Better for me than other junk.

There is also cooking for four and eating it the next day.

Both work depending on what is being made.

Since I do the shopping, the first part of grocery shopping is to clean out the fridge. Anything that just laid around and spoiled, does not go on the shopping list for a few weeks or months.

Oh!!!! Things that fall off the plate - There is the five second rule in effect. Now since I don't have my two second labs.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:59 AM
Master of Distraction

PBinWA will become famous soon enoughPBinWA will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style

I just have problems with food going to my waist.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PBinWA For This Useful Post:
EastTexFrank (05-29-2016), FrancSevin (05-28-2016), jim slagle  (05-30-2016), jwstewar (06-03-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Our local grocery store had a "teaser" sale on brisket the other day, buy one and get one free or something like that. She came home with 6 briskets, we're talking 70 lbs of meat. Now I'm going to have to fire up the smoker, spend all day smoking brisket, spend more hours slicing it, packing it vacuum bags and freezing it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I love doing it and the though of having some of the best brisket that you have ever tasted in the freezer, ready to eat when when you want it ... priceless!!!!
If you have an problems with that stuff, My crossfire puts East Texas just a day's ride away!
Old 05-29-2016, 05:43 PM
nullius in verba

Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,247 Posts
Danang Sailor has a spectacular aura aboutDanang Sailor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
If you have an problems with that stuff, My crossfire puts East Texas just a day's ride away!
We're about the same distance away as Franc, Frank. If you end up with excess smoked brisket we can help you get it
out of the house so it isn't wasted!

Old 05-29-2016, 11:55 PM
Gold Member

It's never wasted!!!! But thanks anyway for the offers of help!!!!

I must admit though that I am researching smaller electric smokers. Dragging out "Big Bertha" to smoke a dozen sausages is 'way too much trouble when there is just the two of us. A small digital electric smoker would meet our normal, every day needs and when my wife is feeding the "masses", I'll fire up the "big gal".

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 05-30-2016, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
It's never wasted!!!! But thanks anyway for the offers of help!!!!

I must admit though that I am researching smaller electric smokers. Dragging out "Big Bertha" to smoke a dozen sausages is 'way too much trouble when there is just the two of us. A small digital electric smoker would meet our normal, every day needs and when my wife is feeding the "masses", I'll fire up the "big gal".
Digital "electric" Smoker.????
Blasphemy!!!!
<OH THE HORROR>
jimbo (06-15-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 01:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Digital "electric" Smoker.????
Blasphemy!!!!
<OH THE HORROR>
I know, I know. That's why I've been using "Big Bertha" for over 20 years. But I have a friend who has not one but two Bradley smokers and he swears by them. I don't think that I want the Bradley and their hockey puck wood biskets, or whatever they call them, but a little Char-Broil to cook for two people sure would be convenient ... and quick ... and easy.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:32 PM
nullius in verba

Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,247 Posts
Danang Sailor has a spectacular aura aboutDanang Sailor has a spectacular aura about

Sam's Club here has a Masterbuilt Portable smoker priced as $100 that uses propane. If there was room in the budget one
of them would be coming home with me, but a smoker is way too far down on the priority list.

The Following User Says Thank You to Danang Sailor For This Useful Post:
EastTexFrank (02-15-2018)
Old 06-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,006 Posts
Catavenger will become famous soon enoughCatavenger will become famous soon enough

I don't know how I missed I but a couple days ago in my refrigerator's freezer I found a steak that I bought last year.
Oh well the reason I bought it was it cost less than 5 bucks. Still I would have liked to have eaten that steak.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:03 AM
'lil yinzer~

luvs will become famous soon enoughluvs will become famous soon enough

well, i ferget thet food is there, & yeah, i hafta put old food in my garbage; that is on me-- i ought rotate items often enough that they remain in front, so i see them & use them--
Old 02-15-2018, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Thanked 9,981 Times in 4,292 Posts
pirate_girl is on a distinguished road

Bump!
So I got up this morning and found the rest of a huge meatloaf that I'd prepared for dinner last night sitting out on the counter
Had I known that Alison was going to forget to put it in the fridge, I'd have done it myself!

She got up and said ohhhh no!
I was like yeah, no meatloaf sandwiches for lunch now huh?
She tends to waste food and leave stuff sitting out.
/rant
Old 02-15-2018, 09:59 AM
The Old Salt

Thanked 7,982 Times in 3,239 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_girl View Post
Bump!
So I got up this morning and found the rest of a huge meatloaf that I'd prepared for dinner last night sitting out on the counter
Had I known that Alison was going to forget to put it in the fridge, I'd have done it myself!

She got up and said ohhhh no!
I was like yeah, no meatloaf sandwiches for lunch now huh?
She tends to waste food and leave stuff sitting out.
/rant
That would so piss me off words cannot describe it. Getting up and finding out the meatloaf sammich I was looking forward to is a no go would not be good.

Not sure what people waste so much food, we go out to dinner with friends and some pick at their food like it is poison and leave most of it on the plate to the point where the waitress asks if everything was alright. Here I am handing back a plate so clean it looks like I licked it.
EastTexFrank (02-15-2018), pirate_girl (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danang Sailor View Post
Sam's Club here has a Masterbuilt Portable smoker priced as $100 that uses propane. If there was room in the budget one
of them would be coming home with me, but a smoker is way too far down on the priority list.
An update. I gave up on the Masterbuilt digital electric smoker. I didn't like it at all. It was less of a smoker and more of a slow cooking oven.

I replaced it with a Green Mountain Grill "Davy Crockett" pellet smoker /grill. Now, I do like that little thing. It's small enough to take in the motorhome when we go camping and does an excellent job of smoking small amounts of meat. The smoke isn't as "heavy" as with the wood burning "Big Bertha" but still very acceptable. It's also a fairly good grill but you definitely need a glove as it gets really hot when grilling.

As far as food is concerned, my wife is still bulk buying. She can't resist a "bargain". We finally gave up on the local grocery store. Their meat is totally inedible at times. Now, we buy directly from the small packing plant in town. It sells to most of the better restaurants in the area and it's been excellent so far. The problem is that it's too tempting for my wife to bring home a dozen T-bones at a time. They're vacuum sealed and in the freezer. They'll last the two of us a long time but they won't go to waste.

She's threatening to drop in next week and see what they have "on special".

The Following User Says Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
Danang Sailor (02-18-2018)