• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Civil War Muskets / pistols

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What can you tell me about the muskets and pistols used in the civil war? I'm interested in all the gory details about them. Would love to see some pictures too if anyone has some to share.

The Tourist

Banned
If you can name one, they used it. From the simplest of blackpowder weapons to the .22 short, the Gatling gun and the Henry (and Spencer) lever actions.

They cast bullets in huge bulk amounts. They even had an extruded method. One story says the methods were so secret that info wasn't released until the early 1900's.

The most common "improvement" of the era was casting a bullet with a heel skirt that only expanded upon ignition. This allowed a reload to be rammed home down a dirty bore with greater ease. Even bullets shapes changed, and conical rounds were used.

As for revolvers, take your pick. There were revolvers with top straps, some without, some made of iron, some of brass. There were side hammers and a monstrous LeMat revolver that not only fired bullets, but a shot shell, as well.

This is truly a topic where you can pick your specialty, and study it for a lifetime.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I am a great fan of the Remington model 1858 "new army" .44 pistol, which a few years later became the 1872 cartridge gun (with some modifications, like a firing pin...). The 1847 Walker pistol and it's cut down variants like the 1847 mod III virginia dragoon were some of, if not actually, the most powerful production handgund made until the 44 mag came out in the '50's. Colt made the 1850 & 51 (.36 cal Army vs Navy variants) and the 1860 & 61 (.44 cal): and these are considered some of the absolute best pointing/most natural shooting pieces of iron ever made. A few years later this frame was used to produce the 1871, which I think was the last model handgun Colt made without a topstrap. (was replaced by the 1873 "peacemaker" or single action army)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a bunch of derringers but am not sure if they are civil war era.

The Merrill Breech Loading carbine in this picture:

attachment.php

Was issued in New York and Wisconsin. I found all the details on it in a book called the "Carbines of the Civil War".

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys! Good info. When I say I know nothing of the guns of the era I am not exaggerating. I did not know any of the info you all posted. I hope you'll share more.

PB good pics. Would love to see different angles on each when you have the time ...even though they might not be civil war era. How does the 4 barrel on work? I've never seen one like that.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
forgot to mention - all the pistols I mentioned can be found in the black powder section of a Cabela's catalog. ;)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All four at once! :eek: I would have to shoot it at least once.
Do you pull back the hammer and let it go to fire? No trigger in sight for most of them.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Do you pull back the hammer and let it go to fire? No trigger in sight for most of them.

There's a little trigger. If you look at the trigger area the trigger is in the center of the "knub" (not sure of the term). Kind of like a rocker switch.