• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

old dog with a problem

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
As most you all know i can just about fix any thing mechanical i hve an old dog he grew up with me on the job and has been my best companion for for the last 14 years we even share the same birthday. he has been suffering from a loss of bladder control lately, and peeing in his sleep now it seems he can't be inside for more than a few hours before an accedent happens on monday i plan to get him looked at but i suspect the worst anny ideas from those of you who work around animals.i added some pics of Macarther showing him in his prime when he could jump up on the hood of my lifted chevy pickup and another shot taken while i was on deployment while he did his part to rais my youngest. my daughter was in 1st grade when she brought him home now she is in the national guard working on black hawks he has been such a part of my family i hate to have to put him down

Attachments

• rein deer 017.jpg
    rein deer 017.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 141
  • last day 019.jpg
    last day 019.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 137

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
14 years is a long time or old for a dog. I guess I don't know but he sure is nice looking.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks as a consulation prize when i went on my solo moose hunting trip he was allowed to go along this year so at leaste if he has to go to doggy heaven he goes with memorys of his favorite activity

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
We just had to put our lab down. She was 11 years old. She got some cancer that hits the bones and two weeks after diagnosing she was in so much pain we had to put her down. I still expect her at times to be around like when I come home or if some one is at the front door. I miss her a lot.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
dds,

For all things there is a season. You've done him very well indeed.....And he has enjoyed your companinship for all of his life, as you have his. There comes a time when all good things must pass, as this has always been the way of life, and death for all of god's creations.

I still remember the old shorthair I lost three years back....And especially his last hunt and how proud he was when he brought me his last rooster pheasant. This just weeks before the pneumonia set in....

For me the answer was the new pup, already at the old dogs side when he passed. He had been helping with the "training" of the shorthair that is the main dog here now..

Good luck with your old friend...

Regards, Kirk

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Dogs are no different then people Don , as they get older they lose control of their bodily functions without necesarily having any major health problem or pain coming from it. :wink:

FYI. Years ago I had a 13 year old doberman that had the same problem , I took him to one of the best vets I had heard of in KS, and had him completly checked over . They said there was nothing really wrong with him and he was in no pain, they told me to just use adult cloth diapers on him for when he was to be inside the house, and make sure and bath him daily. He lived almost another 3 years with no other problems untill he just didn't wake up one morning.

I had also fought wether to put him down or not, but I was glad I didn't in the end. Best of luck for your friend. :flowers:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
my brother in laws dog had the same symptoms showing earlier this year...after a bundle of tests it showed he as cushions disease...there are different stages to this and in this case medication is keeping it under control,not that it is a cheap solution and in all honesty it wont give him more than 18 months and at the age of 14 he as had a good life...my BIL took the option of the medication as he feels he needs more time to prepare for his passing,the fact he is in no pain i dont see this as a bad thing to do....like you his dog is his best buddy...they have been through all sorts of good and bad in life together.

i wish you all the best with your friend dds.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember seeing him in some of your pictures. Sorry I can't help with with any advice. I hope it works out well. Jim
attachment.php

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
we'll see what the first test's show today this would be a bad time of year to loose him as the familly will want to give him a proper send off and we aint digging any holes at 15 below he is too big to stick in a freezer to wait for a trip to the country this summer

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Dogs are no different then people Don , as they get older they lose control of their bodily functions without necesarily having any major health problem or pain coming from it. :wink:

FYI. Years ago I had a 13 year old doberman that had the same problem , I took him to one of the best vets I had heard of in KS, and had him completly checked over . They said there was nothing really wrong with him and he was in no pain, they told me to just use adult cloth diapers on him for when he was to be inside the house, and make sure and bath him daily. :flowers:

Great advice ! Hell I pee myself all the time so the little woman will have to get me a bath :brows:. Its my way of getting even !:whistling::glare:.

Maybe the dog is getting even for all that dry type dog food you made him eat all those years .

Just give the old dog lots of love and enjoy the time to have left . God Bless!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Great advice ! Hell I pee myself all the time so the little woman will have to get me a bath :brows:. Its my way of getting even !:whistling::glare:.

Maybe the dog is getting even for all that dry type dog food you made him eat all those years .

Just give the old dog lots of love and enjoy the time to have left . God Bless!
Al how do you know what i feed him yes he has eaten a lot of dry food he also has had many times mor treats than he deserves fat irish coffee table scraps and of course the prize for being a good hunting partner at the end of a successful hunt the last one being a 2 pound hunk of neck meat from our last moose we killed this fall should have seen his eyes light up when i returned to the snow trac with that hunk of meat he knew this was just not another camping trip after all the trimmings he didn't eat for a week if he has to be put down i will sleep good knowing he was able to go on one last hunt.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I had a old Chessy that I used for hunting . I loved that dog . I had always wanted to take a double in hunting Pheasants but it seemed that every time I had a chance I would miss or something else would go wrong . Ole "Rusty" Would give me a dirty look , put his nose down and start looking for another bird . He was 14 The last time I took him out with my son . Rusty got dpwn by the Canal and was too weak to get out so my son went down and packed ole Rusty out on his shoulders . To make a long story short , As we headed back to the truck , Rusty went on point .

Yes , I know Chessys do not point ,but Rusty did . He was pointing in three directions . Sure enough 3 beautiful rooster Pheasants came out all at once . I never did get my Double , but that day I did get my first Triple ! Rusty got a steak dinner .
Rusty was as excited as I was . He died a week later of a stroke .

His full name was Russell James Jughosafats !! The best damn Chessy ever !:clap:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
well the ua turned out good took him in for an exam today and a blood draw you have to remember he is so decrepided i have to help him in to the truck well after the finger wave he had no problem getting back in to my pickup vet was concerned about his prostrate being hard but thinks if the blood work comes back fie we should be able to fix the problem with a newtering hope i can get a few more years out of him