• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Good Girl

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Was visiting some out-of-State family last weekend for Christmas. Under 6 hours each way so we took the dog.

So, as part of our visit, we're at my sisters and to open gifts, we all go to the family room. A quasi-tradition is to throw baseball sized wads of wrapping paper at another unsuspecting person so that tradition was in play.

Somehow, there was a bombardment against one family member and wads of wrapping paper were laying in excess around him. My 10-year-old son went for them, but so did his 20-year-old cousin and in playing gave my son a bit of a push and grabbed his arm so my son couldn't retrieve any more wads.

HOLY SHIT! My dog was on that 20-Y-O cousin in a flash. Didn't bite or grab him in any way but she made her presence known and got between him and my son in what seemed like sub-second time. Scared the hell out of him and probably several other members of the family as well since except for me yelling HUP! (my word to stop), the place fell silent for probably 10 seconds. I then spoke up and said "Remember an hour ago when I said this dog protects him and doesn't like him being touched, especially in a rough fashion?" well...

I called the dog to me, then everyone was like... damn, that's a really good dog. Everyone was cool and actually gave the dog more attention through the evening. Nobody wrestled with my son anymore (which is OK since the next closest person has 100#'s and 10 years on him).

Good dog. :clap:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Our shepherd is that way with the wife. She will listen to me but nobody else will come between her and the wife. She has only ever given warning nips but they were enough to back folks away quick. I like that she protects her if I am not home. She makes the sliding door at the back porch bounce when she jumps at it and scares the crap out of the Amish.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good poochie ................ I can say the same about my labs, nobody could do anything to my wife without them getting "involved"

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Gretchen has never displayed any aggressiveness to any other person besides the mailman.
When she hears the mailbox slam shut, she's racing through the house, then jumps on the back of the sofa--looking through the blinds, barking like a maniac until she sees the mail truck leave her sight.

One summer, when she was just a pup, I had the front door open.
She was hopping up and down going mad on her little hind legs.
I asked the mailman if he was harassing her (jokingly) and he said "hey, she started it!":yum:

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Great dog! She acted exactly as she should have.

Big Dog said:
Good poochie ................ I can say the same about my labs, nobody could do anything to my wife without them getting "involved

My labs are the same way. Gentle and loving to a fault. My wife walks them after dark in the park. We sometimes have "guests" from another town hanging out and generally causing mischief. It is like the parting of the Red Sea when "The Boys" approach.

They would defend either of us at any cost. Otherwise they are lovers.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
guy that lives in my building has an albino-looking rottwieler- tho he suspects she's not a purebred. she's on it when he gives her the go-ahead, though gentle as can be w/ locals that're his friends. i'd love a dog- my 1 cat spits & hisses hearing her when i take her for strolls, tho. & i haven't got a yard here

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great dog! She acted exactly as she should have.

My labs are the same way. Gentle and loving to a fault. My wife walks them after dark in the park. We sometimes have "guests" from another town hanging out and generally causing mischief. It is like the parting of the Red Sea when "The Boys" approach.

They would defend either of us at any cost. Otherwise they are lovers.

I know of what you speak .......... !