• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Battery or Bomb

daedong

The battery in my car has been slowly getting weaker over the last couple of weeks, this morning I had to roll start it down the hill.

I remember reading somewhere on the net someone had a site about boost charging car batteries with a welder to restore them, I can't find it now.

Does anyone know anything about doing this, I am thinking of giving it a go. Any thoughts on what amps to set the welder, how long do I leave it on etc, do you think it will work or will I blow the battery to smithereens?

I will be taking every precaution if I do this, it will be out side in the open away from everything.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
That used to work in the old days, but today, the battery plates are just too thin to do such a trick. If you want, you can put it on a large amperage charger and set the charger to full output for 15 minutes. I doubt that it is going to do anything to rejuvenate the battery, but if it is toast, then you have nothing to loose. I just bought another battery for may Mercedes... the old one was a 2 year Walmart battery that last 7 years. For $49.88 US, you can't beat it. 2 year free replacement, so if it goes bad in the first 2 years they will replace at no charge. Never had to use the replacement warranty yet on any of the batteries that I bought there. I was told that they were made by Johnson Controls, but don't know for certain. Just can say that they are one thing that is still made in the States and they are still good quality. Junk....

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
daedong said:
The battery in my car has been slowly getting weaker over the last couple of weeks, this morning I had to roll start it down the hill.

I remember reading somewhere on the net someone had a site about boost charging car batteries with a welder to restore them, I can't find it now.

Does anyone know anything about doing this, I am thinking of giving it a go. Any thoughts on what amps to set the welder, how long do I leave it on etc, do you think it will work or will I blow the battery to smithereens?

I will be taking every precaution if I do this, it will be out side in the open away from everything.

You scare me. I'm glad you and I don't live closer...we might get into trouble together!

Oh, and :weneedpic

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wouldn't put it on a high amp charger.

I was informed by a pretty smart "battery guy" that the batteries of today are not made to withstand more than 1% charge of their rated cca's. Therefore, unless you have a 1000 cca battery, you shouldn't be using that 10 amp charge option of your charger, as damage (to the battery and its life) may result.