• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

NorthernRedneck

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've posted in the past about driving and cell phone use and how it is wrong and should be outlawed everywhere. Guess what I found out this week? The driver that slammed on her brakes at the last second in front of me was too busy texting to focus on the road and her driving. So she looked up at the last second and panicked slamming on her brakes in front of 50 vehicles.

To those of you who challenged me in the past about cell phone use while driving, I would love to hear your thoughts on it now. Seeing as I nearly lost my life because of someone too preoccupied with their cell phone to focus on the road.

living the dream

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Quick update. I go under the knife February 7th to repair the incisional hernia caused by the first surgery. I'll be in the hospital 4-5days estimated. Then home on extremely light duty.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Quick update. I go under the knife February 7th to repair the incisional hernia caused by the first surgery. I'll be in the hospital 4-5days estimated. Then home on extremely light duty.

Best of luck to you RedNeck and you will be in our prayers that day for a successful outcome on that operation. :clap:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I've posted in the past about driving and cell phone use and how it is wrong and should be outlawed everywhere. Guess what I found out this week? The driver that slammed on her brakes at the last second in front of me was too busy texting to focus on the road and her driving. So she looked up at the last second and panicked slamming on her brakes in front of 50 vehicles.

To those of you who challenged me in the past about cell phone use while driving, I would love to hear your thoughts on it now. Seeing as I nearly lost my life because of someone too preoccupied with their cell phone to focus on the road.

living the dream

One of the great Rock n Roll songs of all time is "Let it Roll" by the Doors, you may be familiar with it being a musician.

Jim Morrison has a line in that song that goes something like this: "Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel"

I have found the older I get, the more I need to concentrate on what I am doing in order to do in effectively. Driving is no exception.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So the surgery went well this morning. They put me under at 7:45 am and I woke up at 12:15pm. The surgeon came to see me shortly after and said they tried just going in with a scope to repair it but due to scar tissue from the first surgery they had to cut me open with a 4 inch incision. I was able to get up and walk around this evening. At least there are lots of cute student nurses walking around.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks allot guys. I'm trying to stay mobile to avoid a blood clot again. I don't want to jump the gun so to speak but I already notice improvement in the back. The stomach muscles are now doing what they are supposed to be doing and supporting the back muscles.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like they cut right along the original scar. I'm moving around alright and home now. No lifting anything for 6 weeks.

65660b94534ec501037db65fe0ba7d48.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Omg. Feels like I'm bruised all along the bottom of my ribs. Every little movement burns. Also sucks getting used to 4 new medications. It's going to be like that for a few weeks I was told. I raced a snail and lost earlier. But still nice to be home.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Omg. Feels like I'm bruised all along the bottom of my ribs. Every little movement burns. Also sucks getting used to 4 new medications. It's going to be like that for a few weeks I was told. I raced a snail and lost earlier. But still nice to be home.

Lot of that should clear up in a few days. Hope you don't have to stay on the additional meds too long. I'm up to 14 again. :hammer:

Last, don't worry about the outcome of the race. You should be proud of yourself! You were second. The snail was next to last! :mrgreen:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Lol. Actually one of the meds is going to be a replacement for the percs I've been on for pain. I wanted to get something that would work for pain and not have all the side effects of Percocet. We found it with lyrica. I came home with 4 new meds but 3 are only for a couple weeks.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The bruising is really coming out today. There's a bit of discharge as well but I'm told that's normal. The chair has once again become my best friend. I had actually been sleeping not too bad in bed the past couple of months. I'm just trying to convince the wife I need help whiping my butt now. Lmao.

Actually, I can't complain. She was able to take 4 weeks off to stay home with me as I recover seeing as I now struggle just walking to the kitchen. She's a doll.

8987f43b102533c767c9fe1f0e38d2a4.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. They said it sometimes happens after surgery where fluid will build up in a pocket. It was actually kind of gross. They removed the old steristrips and exposed the opening then squeezed gently on the mass just above the incision. It was much like a water fountain only it was an orangelike liquid shooting out.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sat there for 6 freaking hours and didn't get seen. Finally lost my cool and walked out at 1am without seeing a doctor. This is what happens when they build a hospital for a population of 60000 people in a city of 115000 people then close the other hospitals in the area. Every native in northwestern Ontario with a runny nose got seen but I still sat there.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sat there for 6 freaking hours and didn't get seen. Finally lost my cool and walked out at 1am without seeing a doctor. This is what happens when they build a hospital for a population of 60000 people in a city of 115000 people then close the other hospitals in the area. Every native in northwestern Ontario with a runny nose got seen but I still sat there.

Sorry to hear that.

You going to try again today?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. Already at the hospital. Much quicker today. Already in a room. The redness has spread since last night. VERY sensitive to touch. Nonstop drainage.
4cc8669e55d118f2e531bd45b65067ef.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
New development. They put me on an antibiotic yesterday. The redness went away but the incision opened up and started oozing all kinds of grossness. Now I have a hole about an inch wide and a half inch deep

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ugg. Damn. Looks bad but does appear to be healing. Best Wishes Brian.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We have a theory on what caused the infection but hard to prove.
After the surgery I was moved to a room in the surgical ward. I shared the room with an old drunk trying to sober up despite having private coverage. Only four hours after being sent to my hospital room he had pissed all over the floor three times between the beds. The nurses only wiped it up with a towel each time. No disinfectant. No bleach. Oh. And he had feces smeared all over the bathroom as well. It took housekeeping 8 freaking hours to come clean it. I was not impressed. No wonder I was up walking only 4 hours after. It was to escape from the stench of that room.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
We have a theory on what caused the infection but hard to prove.
After the surgery I was moved to a room in the surgical ward. I shared the room with an old drunk trying to sober up despite having private coverage. Only four hours after being sent to my hospital room he had pissed all over the floor three times between the beds. The nurses only wiped it up with a towel each time. No disinfectant. No bleach. Oh. And he had feces smeared all over the bathroom as well. It took housekeeping 8 freaking hours to come clean it. I was not impressed. No wonder I was up walking only 4 hours after. It was to escape from the stench of that room.

I am curious as to what sort of medicated gauze strips they used in packing that, Brian.
Or did they?
We use those with iodine and some that are bleachy, then cover the wounds with a dressing.
Haven't seen anything as nasty as yours in quite some time.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I am curious as to what sort of medicated gauze strips they used in packing that, Brian.
Or did they?
We use those with iodine and some that are bleachy, then cover the wounds with a dressing.
Haven't seen anything as nasty as yours in quite some time.
I believe they said it was the one with iodine. Then they put a gauze patch with silver in it in the shape of the opening to fill the void. Then the waterproof square bandage covering the whole thing.

It's just my luck though. If it's not one thing It's another since my accident. Going on two years already and its been one giant roller coaster ride. Last night I was reminded again about the pain in the rest of my body. Since the surgery the longest I've walked was from the house to the vehicle. Last evening we went out for supper. Had to walk a half a block to get into the restaurant. By the time I got there my back and leg were both burning.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So now the entire wound that was left has opened up. About 4" long by 2" wide. I'm pretty much stuck at home till it heals. Sucks. When it heals I'll have this huge scar on my abdomen. And I won't look pretty in a speedo anymore.