• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IMP Headlight Assembly

Teeoster

Hi,

Does anyone know a good source to get replacement headlight bezels for an IMP(I think the sprytes used the same). Mine are pitted really bad and it would be nice to replace rather than spend the $ to re-chrome.

I found these on ebay, but I'm not sure if they'll fit?

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What size headlamps (diameter in inches) do you have on the IMP? If the headlight diameter is the correct size, and if the original units are surface mounted, then I would see no reason why these (or similar) units would not be a good substitute.

I looked into re-chroming some parts for my 67 Jeepster and was shocked by the cost. It turned out to be far cheaper to by reproduction and/or New-Old-Stock parts than to have the chrome redone.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The ones on my Sprytes are the same as older Kenworth trucks. They were also made in plastic with the chrome covering so I'd think those would be inexpensive.

Teeoster

The ones on ebay say they are for an older Kenworth. I think I might just buy one for the $20 and see if it works:)

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I had a 359 Peterbilt and there was a little difference ....they might still work I think the ones used on Grove cranes are the same and I have seen firetrucks with them too.

Teeoster

I ordered 2 of them from the ebay store. I think they should work. I'll post when I find out:thumb:

That is one sweet machine you have Thiokol2track:respect: I bet you have allot of hours in that baby!

Teeoster

I got the headlight bezels from the ebay store a few days ago. They fit and will work, but are of really poor quality. They were obviously made in some really cheap chineese molds. I think I might just clean up the old ones and write off the pitted chome as petina:)

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Have the re-chromed or better yet have them powder coated. You can even get them powder coated in a Chrome finish.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Have the re-chromed or better yet have them powder coated. You can even get them powder coated in a Chrome finish.

You know Mike may actually have a good idea? :boobies:

Not the chrome plating part of what he wrote :moon: because that is going to be insanely expensive based on some chrome quotes that I've gotten (and rejected).

But there are some Do-It-Yourself powder coating kits. :thumb: Home powder-coating is only viable for small parts because after you do the powder coating you have to bake the part. But the headlamp bezels should easily fit into an oven so that might make powder coating a great idea!

Teeoster

A good friend of mine owns a custom powder coating shop (QC coatings). He does stuff for me all the time. The closest there is to chrome is the high heat ceramic coating, but it still does not come close to the real deal. I had some stuff done on the cat already. I'm trying to talk him into buying a 12ft oven so he can do my whole machine:)