• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cancer's back

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
About 3 years ago I had posted about a friend of mine whose then 3 yr old son had a brain tumor. Well they had removed the tumor and did chemo etc. All was good. He had been doing well despite losing hearing in one ear and having his vocal chords affected.

A couple weeks ago he began having dizzy spells and threw up a few times. They had him checked out and found a 14mm tumor on his brain stem. Poor little guy is now only 6 and on his second round of treatment and surgery. Not looking good for him.

If you could spare a moment or two for a prayer for the family it would be appreciated.

His older brother also has a form of mild autism so the family definitely has their hands full.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
About 3 years ago I had posted about a friend of mine whose then 3 yr old son had a brain tumor. Well they had removed the tumor and did chemo etc. All was good. He had been doing well despite losing hearing in one ear and having his vocal chords affected.

A couple weeks ago he began having dizzy spells and threw up a few times. They had him checked out and found a 14mm tumor on his brain stem. Poor little guy is now only 6 and on his second round of treatment and surgery. Not looking good for him.

If you could spare a moment or two for a prayer for the family it would be appreciated.

His older brother also has a form of mild autism so the family definitely has their hands full.

Prayers sent .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sick children are the worst thing that can be inflicted upon a parent.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here he is. This is from his first round 3 years ago

10542835_10154410719645582_1696422717_n.jpg

Leni

No one so young should have to go through this. But as my son says 'shit happens'. You are in my thoughts and prayers. We were so lucky that she lived but now that I look at the quality of her life, I wonder.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I can understand. It's difficult when a child you love is suffering.

I have a personal connection with this little guy. After I split with my ex I dated a girl for a few months. Even though it didn't work out we stayed friends. This little guy is her son. He was maybe 2.5 when we stopped dating. I remained fairly close to the family as his aunt goes to our church. His grandmother makes it a point to check in on me when she's in town.

Leni

Nothing is better than the ties that bind us together. I sure hope that he has a better outcome than my daughter.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The following is an update from his dad........

"His neurosurgeon called yesterday. The detailed imaging that was done didn't shed as much light on things as he'd hoped. He still thinks that surgery is appropriate and he'll see how things look when he goes in. The surgeon's concerns are if the tumor invades into the brainstem, in which case he won't be able to remove it all, and the potential damage to neighboring brain/nerve structures. I'm sure the surgery won't be easy or quick, but he's the best at what he does. Surgery will be at Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto on Tuesday morning.."

24117c1e75802a05a7dc2bde795d3e7c.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Quick update on the little guy. It seems he's pulled through another one. Doing good so far.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I am very sorry. It's bad enough when something like that happens to an adult it is very sad when it happens to a child.
Just keep praying not only for the boy but for the surgeon as well.
I can testify that surgeons can do wonders.

Leni

That's great news! Is there any sign of brain damage? I sure hope not. My daughter was a straight 'A' student until her surgery. Now she functions at the 10 year old level and cannot live alone.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That's great news! Is there any sign of brain damage? I sure hope not. My daughter was a straight 'A' student until her surgery. Now she functions at the 10 year old level and cannot live alone.
As far as they can tell they were able to get it in time. It wasn't spread around the brain stem and they believe they got it all. So far he's walking and talking as good as before the surgery. Though he did suffer partial hearing loss from his first round of chemo and surgery. Also some neurological damage I believe.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Don't know if I mentioned this but there's a make a wish foundation for kids like this. His wish was to go to Disney world. Last year they had that wish granted and he was able to go see mickey mouse.

Leni

Don't know if I mentioned this but there's a make a wish foundation for kids like this. His wish was to go to Disney world. Last year they had that wish granted and he was able to go see mickey mouse.

It's called Make A Wish Foundation. They make wishes come true for terminally ill children. They arrange everything from making a child a fireman for a day to trips such as your young friend had. It's one charity that is well worth donating to.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So the little guy isn't so little anymore. He had been doing better the past couple of years. I just heard that he went for a routine scan last week and they found another growth.

"So he had his routine MRI moved earlier as there was a small suspicious looking area on his previous scan. He scanned late on Wednesday and on Thursday afternoon one of the neuro-oncology team called us with preliminary results. The suspicious looking area is definitely bigger and more defined (about 5-6mm) and they believe it to be recurrent tumour (ependymoma) growth. His neurosurgeon will be discussing this scan with radiology and the neuro-oncology team this coming Thursday and we will meet with the team on Friday, May 31st to see where we go from here. We have no idea what options are available at this point, but in the mean time, he is feeling great."

I feel so bad for him and his family.

Canadian eh!!!