• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Pots & Pans needed...any recommendations?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Le Creuset is nice . Cast iron and enamel covered .Works well for us .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well just figured I'd update this.

I did a couple things.

I skipped the beautiful LeCreusent enameled cast iron and bought Staub. Basically the same price, also made in France. But I liked the design a bit better. Bought several pieces, but all are intended for bake and serve, not for stove top. Cost a bundle. Beautiful and functional.

My wife demanded a non-stick coating in the pans. That said, there is no such thing as a lifetime non-stick fry pan. Bought some KIRKLAND (private label Costco) pans of various sizes and shapes. Saved a bundle. Still functional, and as heavy as Calphelon with a nicer lid.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the update Bob.

I followed this thread when it was first posted because my wife has always been a Le Creuset and cast iron cookware user. Her arthritis in her hands is to the point now where handling some of the larger pots and skillets is getting really difficult. Since I certainly don't want her to stop cooking, I may have to splurge and get her a lighter set of pots and pans. There were lots of good suggestions in this thread.

By the way DaveNay, looking at that picture of the old stove that you posted, the most fun that my wife had cooking in the UK was on a gas fired AGA. She'd never seen anything like it but grew to love that thing.

Mama

I had carpal tunnel syndrome a few years back and had to have surgery on both of my hands. To make a long story short, I lost a lot of strength in my hands and it makes it hard to handle cast iron. I've had All-clad for about 15 or so years now and I love it. They are easy to handle, the handles stay cool when cooking on the stove top, you can put them in the oven if you want. I wouldn't trade them for any other type of cookware. They are a little pricey but well worth it since you'll never have to buy another set of cookware.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mama, I think the All Clad was my first choice, but since my wife wanted a non-stick surface (glorified Teflon) then I was not going to pay All Clad prices for a coated surface fry pan that would lose its non-stick in a few years of normal use.

That is why we went with SOME high quality enameled cast iron Staub and some modest quality NON-STICK cookware. Different pieces for different uses.