• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is My Headlight Cover Trashed

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
My 03 had some pine tree sap ( a dime sized glob) on the hood and one lens cover. I used SUPER Goo-Gone and it took it off the paint VERY well. Then I took some to the lens cover. :mellow:

It smeared the damn glob of sap over 50% of the lens!!!!! :doh:
I tried my best to get it off with a rag and the Goo-Gone like I did with the painted areas. It just for a SECOND made the sap liquid and THEN dried up again. In that second I could get maybe 10% of it off in a inch x inch area.
Not good at ALL! Is my lens cover trashed? :sad:

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
Nope. Mineral spirits followed by hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. If that doesn't do it, THEN the lens is trashed.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
You could try WD-40 on a rag or varsol on a rag. Don't know how good it would work but it's worth a shot.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
leave the headlight turned off while cleaning it -- halogen bulbs produce a LOT of heat.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've given up trying to get really stuck on stuff off cars. I always seem to do more damage than good.

If I can't get it off with water and my fingernail then I leave it.

I park outside, once the fall hits and the rains come everything gets washed away.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Seriously though - HOT water and Dawn dish soap. If it doesn't take it off, goo stuff must have reaxted with the plastic lens.

No need to buy new, go online and get from a junkyard or on ebay!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll try Dawn and hot water.

Today I tried rubbing polish with no luck. Plus water and some generic dish soap and.... nothing :(

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll try Dawn and hot water.

Today I tried rubbing polish with no luck. Plus water and some generic dish soap and.... nothing :(
You'd be surprised at the stuff Dawn dish liquid can cut through Paul.
My youngest son Ty used to work on old lawn mowers and engines and stuff when he was just a little boy, in NEW jeans etc..:hammer:
Nothing else took out that crap (greasy oil stains) except for Dawn poured on it and scrubbed prior to laundering.

Jeff worked at Taco Bell while he was going through school. Nothing would take out that smell from his uniforms. I had to launder them in Dawn.

I had a friend who had a grease fire in her kitchen.
You guessed it, Dawn took all the gunk off the wood cupboards, floors--everything!!
It's like a miracle product.

I use it with bleach to mop my kitchen and bathroom floors. :smile:

k-dog

I'd use WD-40. I always use that to get sap off my hands or to get rid of that really tough brake dust on car wheels. Works really well. Then just follow up with soap and water.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The lenses are some sort of plastic or polycarbonate. I would test the WD-40 in a small corner before I'd apply it. I am guessing the goo stuff ruined the lens though.

Really, try the HOT water and Dawn mixture on a rag first. You might be surprised.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
My 03 had some pine tree sap ( a dime sized glob) on the hood and one lens cover. I used SUPER Goo-Gone and it took it off the paint VERY well. Then I took some to the lens cover. :mellow:

It smeared the damn glob of sap over 50% of the lens!!!!! :doh:
I tried my best to get it off with a rag and the Goo-Gone like I did with the painted areas. It just for a SECOND made the sap liquid and THEN dried up again. In that second I could get maybe 10% of it off in a inch x inch area.
Not good at ALL! Is my lens cover trashed? :sad:

Please tell Me I'm mistaken , but after reading this ,are You driving on a revoked driving permit ?

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Please tell Me I'm mistaken , but after reading this ,are You driving on a revoked driving permit ?

Nixion my business is just that. My business. Im not posting updates on FF to non-friends. Now do you have anything to help out on the headlight?

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Nixion my business is just that. My business. Im not posting updates on FF to non-friends. Now do you have anything to help out on the headlight?

WOW , That's quite a change for You . I hope that You do well . It'll be quite refreshing not to hear of Your weekly struggles :)
And, on the head light thing .... Don't drive it , You don't have a permit .

Last edited: