• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

new snow trac sprokets

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
just showing now but a new snow trac sprocket design is out. one of the snow trac guys built them. the teeth remove to rotate or replace with out removing the track.
he is looking for comments,suggestions the total cost hasn't been determined yet
Resized_20200307_142711_6193.jpeg

Resized_20200307_144551_2928.jpeg

this is just setting on the track hub to show and below is a close up of the bronz tooth and sprockets stacked under it without teeth in them.

sproket%20snow%20trac.jpg

vintagebike

Nicely done! I might gave to buy back my SnowTrac just to be able to use those. Maybe alternate ever other metal tooth with UHMW plastic.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you may be able to substitute other teeth of the same size. I never thought of that.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Nicely done! I might gave to buy back my SnowTrac just to be able to use those. Maybe alternate ever other metal tooth with UHMW plastic.

UHMW will not survive

the teeth make great necklaces...

nicely done, curious how the cost compares to the original design reproductions ones, I do like the fact you can change out teeth and or turn them around...

Jeff done good!!!

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sort of like big saw blades, replicable teeth! Only it looks expensive. I had molds made, then the casting with some special Brass alloy that had a percentage of Graphite, so lubricated. Next I had to take them to a machine shop and have the relief for the snow thrower ring and the holes bored. The finished product was about $700 a set of 4. This did not include my initial cost of having the forms made.
Now that they have Precision Cast Parts one could conceivably cut out the machining phase. The technique, initially developed by the Russians I believe, then drastically improved by the Japanese is used to make fancy optical lenses, one of the things that put the Japanese in the forefront of the camera business. Their cast plastic lenses used in throw away cardboard cameras cost a dime to make and had 100 times the optical quality of the best German Ground Glass lenses. It would probably work for ST4 sprockets as well. I kind of got the impression one of the forum members had some association with a company of that nature.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sort of like big saw blades, replicable teeth! Only it looks expensive. I had molds made, then the casting with some special Brass alloy that had a percentage of Graphite, so lubricated. Next I had to take them to a machine shop and have the relief for the snow thrower ring and the holes bored. The finished product was about $700 a set of 4. This did not include my initial cost of having the forms made.
Now that they have Precision Cast Parts one could conceivably cut out the machining phase. The technique, initially developed by the Russians I believe, then drastically improved by the Japanese is used to make fancy optical lenses, one of the things that put the Japanese in the forefront of the camera business. Their cast plastic lenses used in throw away cardboard cameras cost a dime to make and had 100 times the optical quality of the best German Ground Glass lenses. It would probably work for ST4 sprockets as well. I kind of got the impression one of the forum members had some association with a company of that nature.

Lyndon, what became of your molds?

Where they two track molds?

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's actually a "Bummer" story: I had them made by this casting outfit in Seattle and would have 4 or 5 sets made at a time. When the Casting outfit moved to a new location they lost the first set of molds for the sprockets, but still had the ST25 mold( Variator "C" Casting). So I had another set made and always took them home after they used them. I passed them on to the guy that bought out all my parts.

"end-trans"

MLS